Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends! I'm the proud owner of a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE. Bought it in July and just approaching 3,000 miles. My first big adult purchase and overall I couldn't be happier (aside from a few small things--for one, I agree that Entune's gotta go)! I love the car and it's a delight to drive.

However, I recently noticed a very weird issue that's totally perplexing and stressing my OCD self out: a number of small, fine scratches have already appeared on the windows and windshield. It looks like the kind of marring you could expect on a plexiglass or plastic surface, not glass. They are not super noticeable but definitely visible from certain angles when they catch the light. My mind is totally blown by this as I didn't even know this was the type of thing that you had to worry about with auto glass, minus maybe something traumatic happening like a rock hitting it. I have been super careful, have barely touched the windows at all, and needless to say it has never been through a wash of any kind yet because it's basically brand new.

Took it to my dealership yesterday and wasn't completely happy with the response. He is putting a request with his district manager to warranty replace my rear driver's side window that has two particularly bad scratches on it (bad enough that your nail will catch). But he didn't even address the finer scratches that seem to be appearing all over, even on the windshield, nor have any insight into why this might be happening. He asked if I'd gone through a car wash and mentioned that it could have happened from rolling down my window...I said is this really the type of thing I should have to worry about that much with my car windows!? I know paint is a different story, but we're talking about glass here.

I am considering contacting corporate and opening a file because I feel like this is so strange and shouldn't be happening at all, let alone mere months into owning my car. My last car was a Scion that I drove for 12 years and did not notice a single window or windshield scratch in that time. I truly did not even know this was a thing and am totally vexed. But then again, I'm no expert at all so maybe I'm just missing something. Are they using a different formula for glass now than in the past? Could it be a problem with the tint/treatment of some sort? Is all the glass on my car just somehow defective!? Any insight or advice at all would be greatly appreciated. :nerd

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Welcome! Scratching as you describe doesn't seem to be normal. Have you tried washing those windows, using a good glass cleaner? Ordinarily auto glass is hard enough to resist scratching from normal exposure and use. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go back to the dealership where you bought it, ask them, it's under warrantee still. Also, might be a factory defect with the glass?

Good luck!

Peace!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do the scratches appear as swirls, or are they mostly horizontal or vertical? Have you gone through a touch car wash, or have you done hand washes since new?

Glass is harder than a lot of things, but sand and a few other pieces of dirt rubbed into them will leave scratches. I have seen this occur in touch car washes, and when people rub a dry cloth on their windows. If they are vertical, and all parallel on your side windows, then it very easily could be sand stuck in the felt at the bottom of the window scratching the glass as it goes up and down. If they are in an arc on your windshield, then it could be sand and grit being rubbed in by the wipers. You might notice if you look at a lot of SUVs rear windows that there is a perfect arc of scratches on the rear window, because it gets covered in dirt, then people turn the wiper on and it scratches the glass slowly, but over time they build up.

Do you live near a dusty or sandy area, or keep your car outside when people are doing yard work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts