Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this car two days ago. It drives fine, but when I brake the left rear wheel sounds like a soda bottle is rattling in there. Not a grinding sound, a hollow plastic sound. I got under and looked and don't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Sounds like there could be a warped rotor . . . also you could check to make certain that all of the wheel mounting bolts are tight and evenly tightened.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
sounds very much like a warped rotor...may also need pads...i would also check to make sure the caliper slider pins are working correctly...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a brake place check it out. They said the pads are fine but either the discs or rotors are low. It was something like 4.1 and should be like 4.7 something like that. I have an appointment for this Friday to get those done and the brake fluid flushed.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had a brake place check it out. They said the pads are fine but either the discs or rotors are low. It was something like 4.1 and should be like 4.7 something like that. I have an appointment for this Friday to get those done and the brake fluid flushed.
the discs are the rotors...i would replace the pads while they have everything apart, but that's just me...well it's not really me at all since i do all my own work, but if i was paying someone else to do it then that's what i would do...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I helped a friend do it once years ago. It took us like 2 hours. I've done my own oil, too but the work required, and cleanup isn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
How many miles on those disks? The fact that they are quoting numbers is a good sign. Best is to look up the specs in advance. Then ask to see the measurement. At a minimum, ask for the old disks back so that you can inspect at leisure. I did that and got refunded later on the unneeded new rotors. The V6 has bigger ventilated rotors, which I presume would be the 296 size below"

Standard thickness
Model Specified Condition
With φ275 disc 25.0 mm (0.984 in.)
With φ296 disc 28.0 mm (1.102 in.)

Minimum thickness
Model Specified Condition
With φ275 disc 22.0 mm (0.866 in.)
With φ296 disc 25.0 mm (0.984 in.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts