Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 AWD Limited with 60k miles.

I had a weird issue the other day when starting it up.

I pressed the button, sounded like it was not getting fuel or air into the engine, like struggling to turn over. It did this a few times, it was quiet, not loud. Not really sure how to describe.

Car was parked in a garage.

Jumped out, smelled a odd odor. poped hood, everything looked good. Battery terminals tight, good air filter.

Closed hood, tried to start again, fired up and idled rough for a few seconds and then ran fine.

Has ran fine since.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Has your RAV started OK since that incident? If it has not it would be difficult to duplicate the problem for diagnosis. If it has recurred, hopefully your 60K drivetrain warranty hasn't expired even though you noted in your post that your RAV has that many miles. If that warranty hasn't expired, the problem should be covered. Even if the problem hasn't recurred and if the drivetrain warranty is still in effect, suggest that you take your RAV to a dealer, complain about the problem, and get a written service report of your complaint so that if it recurs later, even though that warranty will have expired the problem should still be covered..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Copy, I will get it in. I believe that I have a few hundred miles left until I hit 60k..

No, it has not happened since.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
It could be the first signs of your battery going bad.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It could be the first signs of your battery going bad.
My thoughts exactly. The battery is 3 years old and I doubt Toyota is installing those great 8 year Panasonic batteries anymore.

On a side note, if the battery on some Chrysler products is failing, once the car starts it will not idle. The battery voltage gets so low it wipes out the volatile adaptive memory in the PCM.

Honda sliding doors on their Odyssey minivan will close and then open right back up if the battery is failing just like Toyota power windows do when a memory saver is not used when replacing the battery.

The speedometer needle will jump from 0 to 100 or more on a Ford Focus when cranking if the battery is failing, even though the engine seems to be cranking fine.

The reason the owner smelled fuel and it ran rough is most likely because there was just enough voltage to open the fuel injectors and energize the fuel pump, but not enough voltage to fire the ignition coils so when it decided to start, the spark plugs were wet with fuel and it needed to be cleared out like in the good old days (?) of automatic chokes.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is new, less than a year old. Maybe it is a dud... It is not from Toyota though, but still has a warranty.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
My OEM Johnson Controls battery is going on 6 years and still cranks quite well.. My capacity tester indicates a little deterioration in CCAs, but not enough to be problematic. Suggest having your battery capacity tested - auto parts stores often will do so for no cost.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Battery is new, less than a year old. Maybe it is a dud... It is not from Toyota though, but still has a warranty.

What was the reason for replacing the OEM battery? They usually last bare minimum 5 years and 7 is fairly common.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the reason for replacing the OEM battery? They usually last bare minimum 5 years and 7 is fairly common.
I am in Las Vegas... OEM battery went down in a little over 3 years. Common here unless you get a good one.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
The heat gets to them down south. More northern climates are easier on them so they last longer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Yes, I feel lucky if I get more than 3 years out of a battery down here.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow, I did not know there was that much difference in climate vs battery life. I replaced my Venza battery after 7 1/2 years and it was still working fine at the time. CCA was down but prob. could have gotten another year from it.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
That map is closer to what I was thinking. Not over double the life from the high to the low expectation as we are hearing here. A lot of variables to consider also. I'm in the mild 47 month zone. Mine (09 Venza) lasted 90 months and was still going!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I am in Las Vegas... OEM battery went down in a little over 3 years. Common here unless you get a good one.

Batteries don't last as long in hot climates as in cooler ones, but Vegas at least has a cooler season. That's unlike other areas such as in the extreme South, where heat is more of a constant factor. Nonetheless, suggest again that your battery be capacity tested.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow, I thought it was just me.

My OEM battery went out at about 3 years as well. I noticed it was hard to get started so I replaced the battery myself.

I usually plan to replace a battery every 5 years if it doesn't fail before that. This is the first time I have had to replace one ahead of schedule.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts