Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 on March 11th and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Well, I emailed my dealer today to check on things and he told me it was going to be another 8 weeks. So, I stopped by my local Honda dealer tonight after work and bought an '06 Honda Pilot EX-L for $1500 more. I still can't believe I did it, but I don't think I can wait another 8 weeks (at least) and then watch the '07 models hit the streets shortly after. I hope I don't regret it in 8 weeks!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought my 2006 Pilot EX-L 10 days ago and love it more everyday, as much as I wanted another Toyota(current 2002 Tundra owner and have owned several other Toyota trucks and 2 Celicas)but with only only one dealer within several days drive(Alaska) and Toyota's impossible configurations I just couldn't make a Highlander which I really wanted work, or even get to see a RAV4 in person in all this time since they were released.

The Honda dealer always has at least 20 Pilots in stock, I did wait 3 weeks to get exactly the one I wanted, best new car buying experience I've ever had!!!

I think think you'll be pleased, I know i am. :cheers:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Toyota couldn't get you what you wanted in time :( I drove the Pilot and thought it drove like a tank. It is a pretty big vehicle. I am sure it is a great vehicle though. Totally different class of car than the RAV4 :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I test drove the pilot 3 years ago and ended up with the MDX. It turn out to be a real bad experience. The MDX was 2 years old and it had develop all kind of problems. Over all, the MDX was poorly built and poorly design. The Engine was nice, but that was about it. Toyota uses better material than Honda and they have better quality control.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what your saying is he should have gone with a different Toyota? I don't think Toyota makes a similar sized vehicle. The Highlander isn't as large as the Pilot. :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
No, I am not saying that. What I am saying is that Honda's quality had gone downhill in the recent years while Toyota's quality has been improving.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sstarrx3 said:
So what your saying is he should have gone with a different Toyota? I don't think Toyota makes a similar sized vehicle. The Highlander isn't as large as the Pilot. :D
Well for that matter, the Pilot is quite a bit different from the RAV4 now, isn't it? Patrick G. opted to go with a Honda product that is not really similar to the vehicle he originally wanted. The RAV4 6-cyl has 10% more power and gets 25% better fuel economy, although it has only 81% of the cargo capacity of the Pilot. All the forum posts I've read re: RAV4 vs. Pilot have said that the RAV4 drives much better.

Having said that, I have nothing whatsoever against Hondas and in fact if Toyota hadn't come out with the 4.3 RAV4 we be driving a CR-V right now.

What I can't reconcile is all the kvetching about not being able to get a Toyota product configured exactly the way some consumers want with the fact that they have become the number 1 auto manufacturer in the world. What would happen if they offered innumerable configurations/colours/options for their vehicles? Would they sell more? Or would this be a less efficient way of delivering vehicles and cause their prices to rise and their sales to slip? It's all a bit fascist really: you will buy what we offer. And like it. And of course I do like it. What does that say about me? :?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found in my 38 years that with anything, you always have to be willing to compromise a little.:wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I originally was looking for the following:

-- 2006 RAV4 Sport I-4 2WD PB, CS, or FM

The only options I wanted were JBL and floor mats

I don't think I ever found this config. I wanted one soon, and I ended up getting a fairly loaded one for $2500 off, which is a really good deal. I ended up with more than I originally was looking for, but on the plus side, it's the nicest car I've ever had!

I ended up getting the following:

-- 2006 RAV4 Sport I-4 4WD CS
-- power moonroof
-- auto-dimming mirror with compass
-- JBL
-- side airbags & DRLs
-- mudguards

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with Toyota is is't like bait and switch, they say a vehicle offers things like fog lights, DRL, side air bags or auto dim mirrors etc. and you say great - a car with all those things is just what I wanted and then you find out you can't actually get fog lights in this area, if you get side airbags you can't have auto dim mirror and this thing or that is only available here or there until you realize what is really available is a version that isn't anything like how you thought they came equiped and not really what you were looking for. With Honda other than Nav and RES they all come equiped the same way so when you first consider a vehcile what they offer (everything) is what you get, just pick a color....so simple.

I agree life is about compromise, but when you see somethning on the menu you expect to able to have it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To G-Man -

We, too, went with an new 05 Pilot ex-L. Better ride, quieter, seats 8, good power, better stereo, etc. A rav4 with the options I have would be about 30 grand. My Pilot was about 28 grand. we considered a Highlander but they are priced in the mid 30s for an equally optioned model. whatever happened to Toyota value??

I dont know where you are getting the idea that Honda is poorly made and Toyota is making a better product. I guess you have driver all of their vehicles.

As for my Pilot, no issues. As for my 2001 Rav4 that we traded, well, look at the 4.2 section.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
you have to be kidding me dan. The ride is way better in the Rav. I test drove a Pilot and I did not think it was close.. I even thought an Explorer rode better then the Honda.

Better stereo? Not the JBL it is not.

not even to mention that the Pilot dreams of 30 mpg gas mileage like my Rav gets..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
To G-Man -

We, too, went with an new 05 Pilot ex-L. Better ride, quieter, seats 8, good power, better stereo, etc. A RAV4 with the options I have would be about 30 grand. My Pilot was about 28 grand. we considered a Highlander but they are priced in the mid 30s for an equally optioned model. whatever happened to Toyota value??

I dont know where you are getting the idea that Honda is poorly made and Toyota is making a better product. I guess you have driver all of their vehicles.

As for my Pilot, no issues. As for my 2001 RAV4 that we traded, well, look at the 4.2 section.
I agree with flyingn, the suspension in the pilot is way too soft, its like driving a minivan. The interior material is cheap and built quality is not as good as the RAV. Lets face it, there is nothing like a car that is built in Japan.
I use to be a die hard Honda man, my last 3 cars were Honda. The first one was a 91 Accord, which was a great car, very few problems. The 2nd was a 97 Integra, which had some issues. The last one was a 03 MDX, which had all kinds of rattles and things coming loose. A few of my friends have newer Honda too, they all have issues with their car. One traded in his Odyssey and another friend just traded in his 02 MDX. Dont get me wrong, Honda still makes a great engine but Toyota makes a better car overall. Its just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The G Man said:
Dan Dahl said:
To G-Man -

We, too, went with an new 05 Pilot ex-L. Better ride, quieter, seats 8, good power, better stereo, etc. A RAV4 with the options I have would be about 30 grand. My Pilot was about 28 grand. we considered a Highlander but they are priced in the mid 30s for an equally optioned model. whatever happened to Toyota value??

As for my Pilot, no issues. As for my 2001 RAV4 that we traded, well, look at the 4.2 section.
I agree with flyingn, the suspension in the pilot is way too soft, its like driving a minivan. The interior material is cheap and built quality is not as good as the RAV. Lets face it, there is nothing like a car that is built in Japan.
I use to be a die hard Honda man, my last 3 cars were Honda. The first one was a 91 Accord, which was a great car, very few problems. The 2nd was a 97 Integra, which had some issues. The last one was a 03 MDX, which had all kinds of rattles and things coming loose. A few of my friends have newer Honda too, they all have issues with their car. One traded in his Odyssey and another friend just traded in his 02 MDX. Dont get me wrong, Honda still makes a great engine but Toyota makes a better car overall. Its just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

All those 4.2 Rav4s were built in Japan and look at the problems they had. Four years into that body style and the same issues were still showing up. Do you call that quality?

As for ride, not everyone wants to feel every bump in the road. I know here in Wisconsin it can become annoying especially with the rattle problems I had with my rav. Yes, the JBL may be better than the standard Honda radio but as I said, keep adding those options and you are close to upper 20s and thats w/o the v6. My 2001 was 24 grand and was not loaded by any stretch.

It is a different vehicle but for the value the Honda is better. By the way - the Honda with the 3rd seat still has more room than the Rav with 2 seats. get the 3rd seat in the rav and you have no storage space.

Enough on this issue. Enjoy your ride and I 'll enjoy ours.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well... here is just my personal opinion.. so don't flame me..

my dad owns a 05 Pilot and i have drove around the state with his car.. it's a nice SUV... but when my wife and i was looking to buy an SUV.. we decide to get the RAV4 rather then getting the pilot.. reason?

1) Pilot eats to much gas.. RAV4 has better gas milage than the Pilot
2) RAV4 V6 has more HP.. better acceleration..
3) RAV4 looks better.. suitable for my age (26)
4) Pilot is just tooo large for us.. i'm not talking about the inside space.. i'm talking about the whole car.. RAV4 is just the right size for us..
5) pilot drives feel like a truck... i'm one of those people who likes to drive small cars.. i almost went crazy after driving my dad's pilot 3 days in a row..
6) i have 3rd row seat in my RAV4.. and if we open both 3rd row seat out on the RAV4 and Pilot.. you will see that there are more rooms to put stuff in the back of the 3 row seat in the RAV4 than in Pilot.. BUT.. pilot has more leg rooms for the 3 row..
7) RAV4 is cheaper... i was comparing RAV4 with Pilot EX-L.. the price i got for the Pilot was $34000 with Navi and Leather.. but i got my RAV4 for $30000 with rear DVD entertainment system.. if i go with aftermarket leather seat (i have third row) it would still be cheaper than Pilot..
8) pilot is too wide.. hard to hug my wife with one hand when i drive :lol:
9) my dad already have a pilot.. i don't want to copy him :)

anyways... both are great cars... it's really depands what is most suitable to you..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Dan Dahl said:
It is a different vehicle but for the value the Honda is better.
Remember, most of the time you get what you paid for. On the surface, Honda seems like a better deal. Honda have more standard options than the RAV. Honda manage to do this by cutting corners in the material used and less qulaity control and built tolarance. BTW, Honda is no better in fixing problems during a model run than Toyota. The MDX had the sloshing gas tank problem since 01, it took them 6 years to fix that problem. Dont get me wrong, I still think Honda makes a decent car, but they dont know how to make a truck or SUV.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Are you saying that behind Hondas third seat there is more room the the 2 seat Rav???
would you care to take a bet on that Dan??

Dan Dahl said:
The G Man said:
It is a different vehicle but for the value the Honda is better. By the way - the Honda with the 3rd seat still has more room than the RAV with 2 seats. get the 3rd seat in the RAV and you have no storage space.

·
Registered
122 Posts
flyingn said:
Are you saying that behind Hondas third seat there is more room the the 2 seat RAV???
would you care to take a bet on that Dan??

Dan Dahl said:
The G Man said:
It is a different vehicle but for the value the Honda is better. By the way - the Honda with the 3rd seat still has more room than the RAV with 2 seats. get the 3rd seat in the RAV and you have no storage space.

well.. he is totally wrong... Honda Pilot has folded 3rd row seat that is the same design as the Highlander... if compare with RAV4.. it will have less room to put stuff behine the 3rd row seat.. because after you take the seat out on the RAV4.. the place where the seat folds down will become rooms to put stuff into it..

here is the picture of Pilot with 3rd row seat up..

and here is my RAV4 with one of the 3rd row seat up..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I take a piece of that bet too. I use to own a MDX which is similar in dimension to the pilot. With the 3rd row seat up, there is about 2 feet of space from the back of the seat to the hatch.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts