Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Contour bar from CARiD last Sunday evening and received it on Wednesday. Skimmed through the instructions to get an idea on how to install it. After finally getting home after a long day at work on Friday night I thought I would remove the plastic on the belly of the Rav4 to take a look at the frame.
The plastic came off easy so I thought I would try breaking the 4 frame bolts loose. They broke loose with ease, so I mounted up the bull bar mounts. Well before too long I had the whole thing all mounted up nice and tight.

So this afternoon after work I decided to trim up the plastic so I could get it put back on. After some eyeballing, marking and trimming with the dremel I was all done and had it re-mounted. Overall it was an easy job that most anyone could do. :)

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly for looks, but if I hit an animal it could make the difference between me deflecting it some vs it coming through the windshield and sitting in my lap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was around $164 shipped. It looks really good in person in my eyes. I like that the light tabs are not on the bar unless I want to mount them. Looking online, I assumed the tabs would be flimsy, but they are not. Very wide and thick.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one of those, I have a 2012 silver base RAV. My only concern is, it looks like it comes down pretty low where it attaches and I frequently go off road. How much ground clearance did you loose?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was a huge concern for me as well. That's why I went with this bar because it looked like it fit the tightest. I would guess it is no lower than 2.5" at the 2 mounting points.
I was hoping I wouldn't hit parking blocks and curbs. Which isn't not even close.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No skid plate. Looking at the angle and how one may run over some small varmit, it might be a good idea to weld a small round tube straight across where the bull bar mounts to the frame mounts. That would deflect anything you are about to hit and save the plastic junk. I doubt I ever do though.
I snapped some pics from other angles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello....

I just ran across your Car..nice color
I have a 2015 Rav4....I'm thinking of getting a Bull Bar on the front...What do they cost and are the hard to put on?

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
92 Posts
You just made up my mind for me. I have been going back and forth between this one and the 2.5 inch go rhino with the skid plate. This one is the clear winner. Much more rally car like. I can't wait to get mine now. Might even mount some hella 500 lights on it eventually. So glad you posted this pics. Looks amazing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree. That's why I went with it. If you look at other vehicles around your town you will probably see most have the generic round style with the skid plate on the bottom. It looks good on some vehicles, but not on the Rav4 IMHO. The Westin bar hugs the lines of the Rav much better.

Here's how it looks with lights mounted up. I'm not sure I like it as it takes away from the sleek lines.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That looks amazing. What kind of lights are they and how did you mount them. Gives the RAV a real rally look. Coming from a wrx makes me lov the way this looks even more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you!
The bar comes with the light mounting tabs, hardware, and holes on the bottom to bolt them on. The lights are from harbor freight. I bought them a few years ago but never got them mounted up on my Tracker. I think it would look better to bolt a bar across the tabs and then bolt a 3rd light between them.
I'm going to leave them on for now to decide if I like the look or not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts