Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Alright two more questions and I will leave you alone. >:D Are your tires stock size, and you didn't use the factory foglights wiring did you? I ask because those tires really fill the wheel wells nicely and because my plan is to mount the rally lights to the bar and also get factory fogs and install them as well using the factory wiring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went up one size on the tires. If you look under "minor upsizing" you will get the 411.
I didn't wire the lights in, I just slapped them on there real quick yesterday. If I decide I like them I'll hook'm up when its not so cold out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks great! Been debating one of these for a year or so and you may have convinced me. The black would really go well with my black-on-silver color scheme. Nice work!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I could also see it as maybe being a tie-off point for a front strap on a canoe or kayak which is another cool use for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I could also see it as maybe being a tie-off point for a front strap on a canoe or kayak which is another cool use for it.
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Has anyone come across any insurance or liability concerns with this? I mean - if it's possible that you could do more damage to a pedestrian with this mod, could it come back on you because you have interfered with the functioning of crumple zones?

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you still have the directions? i have a 2012 i ordered a bar for off ebay but came with no directions and the seller said they don't provide them. I've looked all over and on YouTube but can't find directions. can anyone help? thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
do you still have the directions? i have a 2012 i ordered a bar for off ebay but came with no directions and the seller said they don't provide them. I've looked all over and on YouTube but can't find directions. can anyone help? thanks
Try reaching out to Westin and seeing if you can have them send an install manual for their product as a PDF or something. Or try Steelcraft, they make a similar product and all of these bars mount in a similar manner I would guess.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Has anyone come across any insurance or liability concerns with this? I mean - if it's possible that you could do more damage to a pedestrian with this mod, could it come back on you because you have interfered with the functioning of crumple zones?
Depends upon your country or regional laws. Best check it out. I would be surprised if there were any special liability in Canada.

In some parts of Europe those bars must be mounted with plastic, break-away bolts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those parts in Europe do that on purpose because they do not encounter the wild life that other areas do. That bar could possibly make the wreck worse for the other party is there thought on that.

I do like the bull bars on the Ravs, I need to get one for my wifes car since she is doing more driving at night, and has the potential to hit coyotes more now.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Those parts in Europe do that on purpose because they do not encounter the wild life that other areas do. That bar could possibly make the wreck worse for the other party is there thought on that.
Perhaps, but the reason I was given that the break-away was to be less lethal on pedestrians.

I do like the bull bars on the Ravs, I need to get one for my wifes car since she is doing more driving at night, and has the potential to hit coyotes more now.
Coyote! My livestock guardian dog ate 'em for snacks.
That's me dog with my darlin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Perhaps, but the reason I was given that the break-away was to be less lethal on pedestrians.

Coyote! My livestock guardian dog ate 'em for snacks.
That's me dog with my darlin.
^^ Good point, I live in Colorado, my wife hit a deer in her jeep and totaled it. We deal with wildlife on a day to day occurrences. But coyotes are around more often than deer and elk since we are moving to a different area of town. I guess I should of made my self more clear. I still am looking into a bar to help protect her vehicle. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the Contour bar from CARiD last Sunday evening and received it on Wednesday. Skimmed through the instructions to get an idea on how to install it. After finally getting home after a long day at work on Friday night I thought I would remove the plastic on the belly of the Rav4 to take a look at the frame.
The plastic came off easy so I thought I would try breaking the 4 frame bolts loose. They broke loose with ease, so I mounted up the bull bar mounts. Well before too long I had the whole thing all mounted up nice and tight.

So this afternoon after work I decided to trim up the plastic so I could get it put back on. After some eyeballing, marking and trimming with the dremel I was all done and had it re-mounted. Overall it was an easy job that most anyone could do. :)

do you still happen to have the product number because I am not able to find the one that fits models 2006-2012

21 - 33 of 33 Posts