Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fully electric steering has a sensor on the steering wheel, which transmits a signal to the electric rack. Near impossible to do.
However I think you can get electric power steering pumps, which shoulb be quite easy to do.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had a quick look and there are many cars with electric pumps. Easiest option I found was searching in ebay, brings up lots of pumps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A friend of mine has used Corolla power steering motors from the column on other cars. Uses a pot on the dash to adjust the assistance. The recent ones are brushless motors too.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Had a quick look and there are many cars with electric pumps. Easiest option I found was searching in ebay, brings up lots of pumps.
Yeahbut that would still be wet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't understand why a car as small as a RAV4 needs power steering in the first place, but I'm old school so....

Try getting a manual steering gear box out of an older Toyota corolla and retrofit it, you might just stumble on one that bolts right in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Toyota MR2 had an Electric/Hydraulic P/S pump in the front. Electric motor ran the hydraulic pump instead of the engine. I read a forum somewhere where a guy used that and had custom hoses made with the MR2 fittings for the pump on one end and his vehicle fittings on the other end. I thought about doing some salvage yard diving but never did. You can buy the pump, but I remember it being around $500-$600! I guess it depends on what your budget is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts