Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 Rav L, bought new... extended, extra care warranty still in play.

My battery died over the weekend (yes, suddenly). I brought it into sears on monday, had it swaped w/ a new one, and the car worked liked a charm.

Today (three days later), i went to the car in the afternoon and the remote entry wouldn't disengage the alarm. I thought maybe the battery in the remote had died. So, i used the key to open the door, but the BEEP BEEP didn't happen. When i opened the door, the car alarm starts screaming.

I put the key into the ignition... nothing.

So, i call the dealer near my work (not the one I bought it from), and they insist the car has to be towed into toyota. They send a tow truck out there on my insistance, thinking that it would be covered by the warranty.

Now, i find out that the Alarm was installed as an aftermarket feature back in '01 when i bought the car, hence the alarm (and i only assume the towing and man hours spent to reset/disable it) will not be covered.

I had NO clue that the security package was an aftermarket installation. Do i have any rights here?

The car is still at the dealer (one closer to work, not the one i bought it from). I've contacted the original dealer, and they have contacted where my car's being held.

I might be overeacting right now (b/c i'm broke and don't want to pay for this service), but i'm shocked that this was an aftermarket installation...

please tell me i'm not alone, or that i might be able to talk to the customer relations rep and get this worked out so i don't eat all of this bill (whatever it is).

Any tips, advice, vodka-tonics to ease my mind?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, sorry. no, i'm in Washington, DC.

I told them to hold off on taking the alarm out of the car, and then seeing if they could start the car w/o it in (b/c if that did work, then they'd have to do further diagnosis).

I'm bringing them my other keyless remote tomorrow morning to see if i can save some more headaches... please please let this be a remote issue... what are the odds?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It's a fairly common practice to for dealers to have aftermarket kits put into cars that don't come from the factory with alarm/keyless.

Should certainly be covered by your extended warranty if it was delivered to you that way though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts