Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Rav4 Limited 4 cylinder.

Here are my questions:

How long should the anti freeze last? When should I change it?
Can I use the regular Prestone 50/50 antifreeze from Auto Zone? If not, what similar anti freeze can I use?

The color of the antifreeze appears to be pink in color.

The owners manual states: "Only use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology."

Then it states: Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is a mixture of 50% coolant and 50% deionized water for a Minimum temperature of -31F.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Toyota OEM Super Long Life Coolant for me. 2014 Manual states: Initial replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter. May want to check the OM to verify for the '13.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
You can use any coolant which meets the specs. printed in the Owner's Manual, as you have quoted. An advantage with using Toyota coolant is longer life. But you shouldn't need to change the coolant on a '13 RAV at this point - Toyota OEM coolant is super long life. Suggest checking in your Owner's Manual for any coolant change interval time although Toyota's system can make specific items difficult to locate easily. Color doesn't matter, but if you were to mix green and pink the resulting color might seem strange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry to open a old thread. I have 2014 rav4 le awd. I can't find any oem coolant in the market.

I can't find anything that exactly matches the below specifications

Coolant or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
@2011RAV4

What color is that brand and did it mix fine with the pink Toyota coolant? I ask because it's only like $13 a gallon compared to the $25 for OEM off eBay.
Why try to cheap out and save less than the cost of a lunch for two at McDonalds for a product that you might buy once a year?

Get the genuine stuff from the dealer and you won't have to worry about compatibility.

The color of the coolant is meaningless. It's all marketing and manufacturer reference. There is no industry standard.
Toyota generally uses pink or red LLC or SLLC for modern vehicles. I've personally never seen a blue Toyota OEM coolant and I've been buying brand new Toyota vehicles since 2000.
Just because something is red does not mean it is compatible. Just because something is green does not mean that it is not compatible.
Of something is orange, it is likely (but may not be) Dexcool... stay very far away.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Why try to cheap out and save less than the cost of a lunch for two at McDonalds for a product that you might buy once a year?

Get the genuine stuff from the dealer and you won't have to worry about compatibility.

The color of the coolant is meaningless. It's all marketing and manufacturer reference. There is no industry standard.
Toyota generally uses pink or red LLC or SLLC for modern vehicles. I've personally never seen a blue Toyota OEM coolant and I've been buying brand new Toyota vehicles since 2000.
Just because something is red does not mean it is compatible. Just because something is green does not mean that it is not compatible.
Of something is orange, it is likely (but may not be) Dexcool... stay very far away.

Just curious as to why you might think the Valvoline "Zerex" Asian antifreeze wouldn't be compatible? .

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-asian-vehicle-antifreeze-coolant

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
9,024 Posts

Rich - What is the problem with Dexcool? I use Chevron Dexcool in my motorcycle and according to the label specs it meets all of Kawasaki's requirements as in the owner's manual and also Toyota's as printed in that owner's manual.

From an analysis which I did for another thread:
The Toyota RAV4 Owner's Manual says that coolant used should be either Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, or "Similar high quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology." Chevron Dex-Cool coolant employs the same labeling and uses the word "carboxylate" in its technical data description, rather than "organic acid," which Toyota uses. Question is, are they actually the same. From an article by Reochem, Inc., Coolant Experts:

"OAT is an acronym for Organic Acid (Additive) Technology which describes the type of materials responsible for the corrosion protection offered by a coolant of this type. OATs are Long Life Coolants (LLC), based on minimally depleting Carboxylate Technology. This technology provides superior protection to all components of the cooling system including those exotic materials like aluminum and magnesium found in the modern day engine."

According to the article Toyota coolant and Chevron Dex-Cool would appear to be based upon the same technology. Perhaps a RAV4 owner who is a chemist could determine whether this is a correct or incorrect assumption.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You're using a Toyoto video? Here's one for Toyota oil. I guess I shouldn't use Mobil 1 or any other Synthetic oil only Toyota

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil - YouTube

Can you show me any studies that show the Vavoline Asian isn't compatible with Toyota?

I edited/substituted my original post with a 'non Toyota' video (although Scotty Kilmer is pro Toyo) a minute or so after I uploaded the first video.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I edited/substituted my original post with a 'non Toyota' video (although Scotty Kilmer is pro Toyo) a minute or so after I uploaded the first video.

ZEREX™ Asian Vehicle has been designed to meet the requirements of Asian manufacturers, which specify a silicate free HOAT formula with a phosphate additive to protect their cooling systems from rust and corrosion. Available in both red and blue formulas to better match your Asian vehicle's specific requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went and bought a jug of the Toyota coolant from the dealer, was $23 but should last me for years to come as I just wanted it incase I needed it. I've seen a few people say that the Toyota pink stuff isn't good for water pumps, any truth to that?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I use this stuff and I got it from Advance Auto for under $20. :wink

Attachments

Reactions: DARav4

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Just curious as to why you might think the Valvoline "Zerex" Asian antifreeze wouldn't be compatible?
It may be just fine.
But to me, it's just not worth having to worry about any possible compatibility issues over <$20.
If the OEM coolant were $50, I might look harder for a compatible alternative. There is just no reason to "cheap out" on materials, especially when I'm doing my own maintenance and not paying for labor.

My concern is, like transmission fluid, "compatible" does not mean that it is optimal, and is not exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts