Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
anyone have thoughts on the Nokian WG R4 tires vs. the cross climates?
perhaps you mean WR G4?
both those tyres are all season, Cross climates have received good reviews on other forums for low noise.
If you are going to use 2 sets of wheels then, a real winter tire such as the Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 would be better for winter. These are especially good below 0 deg F.
All season is not the best in any season, whereas 2 sets of wheels are close to the best most of the time as long as you don't switch wheels too early or late in the season.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
perhaps you mean WR G4?
both those tyres are all season, Cross climates have received good reviews on other forums for low noise.
If you are going to use 2 sets of wheels then, a real winter tire such as the Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 would be better for winter. These are especially good below 0 deg F.
All season is not the best in any season, whereas 2 sets of wheels are close to the best most of the time as long as you don't switch wheels too early or late in the season.
Yep the WR G4, Nokia’s all weather tire. Given I’m in CT and we don’t get THAT much snow I’ve been debating going all weather set year around vs 2 sets of tires like I have on our other cars. We got skiing in VT a few times a year but will likely take the Toyota Sienna which has blizzak snow tires for the extra space for the kids/gear.

In defense of Nokian, there are a lot of different tires available and users need to choose the one that matches their need the most closely. Nokian make excellent summer tires too but I can't complain if they slide on ice because they are not intended for ice.

"All season" means not optimal in any season. Some such tires may be best for dry highway driving with better handling and response characteristics. Others may be better in snow and ice, but feel a bit unstable at high speed.
The person in the video did not say in what situations the Nokian WR G4 was no good.

Those ”No Season” tires are like byuing ” made in China” stuff couse they are so cheap, if you have real winter season. I dont by any China spike or spikeless wintertires either. R3 Nokian is better in any case if you need wintertires at all. They are not made with any compromise in mind and they are wintertires. Worst issue is that they are not for warm use and then they can ”smelt” and wear out fast. I hate driving with spikes and due to that only choice is spikeless, but never even thought to by ”No seasons” for winter. I bought another set of those 19” oem rims with Nokia R3 and it costs 2400 €. And 2 sets of tires lasts 2 times longer. Takes 15 min to change the set and twice A year.

Driven in 61 Northeast Iowa winters. Last time I had "Winter Tires" or "Snow Tires" was on a 1980 Chevy Citation. Today's All Season tire is WAY better than the 1980 winter tire. Calm down, slow down, plan ahead.
Or, play Speed Racer and catch up on your voice mail while you wait in the ditch for the tow truck.

I use summer performance tires in the winter.
I trust you're kidding and trying to get a rise out of the readers of this thread. HP summer tires have rubber compounds that get rock hard in cold temps. Of course if you live in Florida I guess it wouldn't matter.

I trust you're kidding and trying to get a rise out of the readers of this thread. HP summer tires have rubber compounds that get rock hard in cold temps. Of course if you live in Florida I guess it wouldn't matter.
Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix), Camry, RAV4. Used the OEM tires year round. Non of them put me in the ditch or left me stranded.

None of them had dedicated winter tires either. Adjust. Drive. Turn off the phone. Quit messing with the radio.

Learn to drive.

You'll be fine.

None of them had dedicated winter tires either. Adjust. Drive. Turn off the phone. Quit messing with the radio.

Learn to drive.

You'll be fine.
Hp summer tires are a different animal 100%. The tires on my z06 would dead hook in 1st in warm weather from a roll on. Below 50, like clockwork, you could blow them off with a 2000rpm 2nd gear roll on and barely any throttle.

I have WR G4’s on my Element. They stick like glue on the frozen , bladed mountain passes.
Cross Climates weren’t out at that time. Now, I just ordered a set of Yokohama GO15s for my 2021 RAV4. These “all weather“, 3 peak snowflake tires are a new breed and really eliminates the need for two sets of tires.

FWIW, winter tires are another casualty of the shipping backup at the ports. Many of the winter tires in the US come from offshore and the supply chain in the US is emptying out quickly. If you do want winter tires buy them now or expect a long wait.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.