Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

What are the 1-5 things you dislike or hate the most with your RAV4?

1228 Views 25 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Palex.new
What are the 1-5 things you dislike or hate the most with your RAV4? I realize there is no perfect car. This RAV4 TRD Off Road comes close.

My main gripes are only two things.
1. No compass? Every car I've owned the past 12 years have a compass in the display somewhere and when you don't have it, you miss it from time to time. After dark in an unfamiliar area it's handy... for an example I know that I-5 is west of me and I can simply head west to find it. I simply like having a compass.

2. No GPS. You have to hook up your phone to get maps to work on the LCD display. In other words you don't have GPS on this RAV4. Again all the previous cars I owned had GPS installed. It's a hassle to hook up your phone every time you get in the car. I solved that by buying this:

2022 Carlinkit 4.0-2 in 1 Fit for The OEM Factory CarPlay Cars and for iPhone & Android Phone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1TV4VGF/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,204 Posts
I have a few:
  1. Safety features. The warnings are intrusive. Also some of the features should be user determined.
    • Take for example the seatbelt minder. Can't take a test drive around the neighborhood without the non-stop piecing tone. My previous 2 vehicles have had the alert but it's just that -a reminder. Not a demand. Perhaps the delay could be extended to a further distance before demanding a user buckles up.
  2. Too many warnings.
    • I park in a garage, every time I get out of the vehicle I am reminded that my driver window is open. Yeah, it's down all the time and I am garaged. I would prefer having a menu option categorizing some warnings such as window open alerts being an ON/OFF option. After a while we become numb to routine alerts.
    • The bad part about that to me is if an alert is important, I'm likely to overlook it expecting I'm simply being told my window is open. I have exited the vehicle and had to pop my head back in to see which alert I am ignoring.
  3. Cabin noise. For the amount of time we've had these CUV type vehicles and our current technology, the cabin noise level could be more quiet.
  4. Button placement of accessories -the panel left of the steering wheel to access some commonly used options are difficult to access. Many things are muscle memory but that panel is difficult to navigate without looking and the tactile feel isn't useful....I will need to train myself to locate the panel and navigate to the right for button #[whatever]. I don't think I'll be able to do that.
  5. This may by Hybrid-only. The ECO friendly HVAC settings. I'm almost trained for each departure to set the HVAC settings to something useable like taking it out of ECO mode and turning on the passenger/rear vents.
    • A "Last Used" menu option would be nice for those of us who want the HVAC to function at the fullest more often than not. I do however believe the passenger/rear vents are 'on' by default if there is a passenger in the seat. Perhaps it could be ambient temperature related. Now that the weather has turned to be cooler, the ICE kicks on before leaving the garage.
    • The vehicle recognizes the cooler ambient temperature and fires up the engine to warm it. If temp is cool enough to fire up the engine, it should default to allowing all vents to blow air. Likewise, if it's a warm day the same functionality would be useful for quicker cabin cooling. I'm not going to save gas/battery in the first 2 miles of driving by allowing the compressor to cycle and discharge air from all vents.

I think I've done a good job identifying actual things that are not just "different" from our previous vehicles.

Items #1 and #2 from OP's list are included in my vehicle/other vehicles. An owner could purchase a different vehicle to solve the situations being discussed (granted a person has to turn a $25,000 vehicle into a $40,000 vehicle to get those 2 things. In all cases, the cabin noise exists and safety features/notifications exist on all of them.

This is my 2nd vehicle with a compass and I do enjoy having it while travelling.

· Registered
443 Posts
no complaints whatsoever*
the 2022 rav4 hybrid LE is exactly everything I expected from a 2022 rav4 hybrid LE.

-----------------------------------
*tires

the one item I did not like and it is the same for all 4 my toyotas when new....
throw out was the OEM tires.
off at 2500 miles and gone, don't care where they end up (tell dealer to keep 'em or chuck 'em)
on go michelin CC2's on rav4 and Yaris, Michelin LTX M/S or Defenders on trucky and 4runner

· Registered
22 Rav4 XSE Hybrid
320 Posts
I have an 22 XSE so will list a few things that pertain specifically to that model

1. No passenger power seat

2. Black interior feels bland

3. Gets very loud the harder I accelerate

4. Lane assist function on the highway does not work well

5. No lights in glove box and center console

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
373 Posts
Cruise control and follow distance resets after every power off
Lane Trace likes to play ping-pong a lot between the lines
Adaptive cruise control waits a bit too long to accelerate back up to speed when a vehicle in front of me takes an exit/turn
Paint is super thin and fragile, loves to chip way too easily
Wish the convenience package on the '20 XLE trim exluded the power sunroof, just another point of failure to allow leaks.

· Registered
18 Posts
What are the 1-5 things you dislike or hate the most with your RAV4? I realize there is no perfect car. This RAV4 TRD Off Road comes close.

My main gripes are only two things.
1. No compass? Every car I've owned the past 12 years have a compass in the display somewhere and when you don't have it, you miss it from time to time. After dark in an unfamiliar area it's handy... for an example I know that I-5 is west of me and I can simply head west to find it. I simply like having a compass.

2. No GPS. You have to hook up your phone to get maps to work on the LCD display. In other words you don't have GPS on this RAV4. Again all the previous cars I owned had GPS installed. It's a hassle to hook up your phone every time you get in the car. I solved that by buying this:

2022 Carlinkit 4.0-2 in 1 Fit for The OEM Factory CarPlay Cars and for iPhone & Android Phone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1TV4VGF/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I will second NoMoreDomestic on too many warnings, but at least you can turn some of them off (the worst IMHO is the lane keeping warning - really hate having the steering wheel vibrate, very distracting). I will add the following (not necessarily a comprehensive list).
1. The design/visibility of the binnacle - it's very poorly designed, with a mixture of green, blue and grey/white illumination/script and often very cluttered (that is, in order to have access to the info you want, you have to crowd of info that you don't want). People have different preferences - I am very much a priority-info guy (I just want key info, not a lot of stuff that isn't key). Some degree of customization is possible, but I want to choose the info I want and to reject the rest. And try reading the binnacle on a bright day when you're wearing shades (my eyes still work, but are not what they were) - it's like reading by candlelight down a dark tunnel. Toyota should take a leaf from VAG/BMW to redesign - keep the dials bright white on black, white or perhaps orange illumination, clear, uncluttered readouts.
2. Annoying reflections - there is an aluminum trim piece on the dash to the driver's left that gets reflected in the side window - can be annoying (seems like this might be one that "got away").
3. The OEM roof rails - can you say "fiddly"? OMG, you have to remove these crappy little plastic pieces (what to do with them??) to get access to the bolt holes, then mess with more crappy plastic to lock the rails in place when they are on. And there's no catering for different aftermarket solutions. C'mon Big T, you're better than this.
4. No remote Carplay for navigation - to navigate, you have to plug in your device. So 2015.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Get a Garmin. Better GPS than anything that comes with a car. Free map updates. No downtime if it fails (pitch it, get another).
No compass? My Garmin has a north pointing arrow. If you can't figure the rest out, you shouldn't be driving.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 TRD Off Road - Ruby Red Flare
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 2022 rav4 hybrid LE is exactly everything I expected from a 2022 rav4 hybrid LE.

*tires

the one item I did not like and it is the same for all 4 my toyotas when new....
off at 2500 miles and gone, don't care where they end up (tell dealer to keep 'em or chuck 'em)
on go michelin CC2's on rav4 and Yaris, Michelin LTX M/S or Defenders on trucky and 4runner
Actually I don't like the new tires either as the warning light comes on showing the pic of four tires and the psi in them. It's always round 29psi when it comes on and every time I put air back in at 33psi... a couple weeks later it comes back on again. So why is the four tires losing air and doing that? Very irritating. My Ram 1500 & Ford Ranger tires don't do that, not once.

I'm going down to dealer to see if I can get different tires or at least get them replaced.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Is the tire pressure actually dropping to 29 or is that the morning cold temperature PSI?

I've never heard of anybody having 4 bad tires before.
If you return to the dealership or a tire shop the first thing they should do is dip the tire in a tank checking for leaks.

· Registered
23 Posts

*tires

How loud are Michelin CC2 tires?

· Registered
2022 RAV4 TRD Off Road - Ruby Red Flare
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the tire pressure actually dropping to 29 or is that the morning cold temperature PSI?

I've never heard of anybody having 4 bad tires before.
If you return to the dealership or a tire shop the first thing they should do is dip the tire in a tank checking for leaks.
They haven't gone below 28psi, usually fluctuate between 28/31, but the warning won't go away... very irritating. It worries my wife as it's her car. We've had snow so weather could be a factor, but my Ram and Ranger don't do that...

· Registered
1,095 Posts
They haven't gone below 28psi, usually fluctuate between 28/31, but the warning won't go away... very irritating. It worries my wife as it's her car. We've had snow so weather could be a factor, but my Ram and Ranger don't do that...
Little piece of black tape . . . POOF . . . problem solved.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
You probably need to reinitialize your system.
Start at this post in this thread. Your tires were probably "initialized" at a high pressure and you have dropped below the programmed value. It is easy to reset it to your liking. I set mine a week or 2 ago. I was getting a warning light at 36 psi. ha I've reinitialized mine at 37. If you want more help, follow up in the link I provided or send me a message so this doesn't become a tire thread.

· Registered
15 Posts
Things I don't like:
1) Crappy OEM tires (michelin primacy)
will be getting Falken wildpeak at trails
2) center screen could have been incorporated into dash. Poor distracting design, stuck on as afterthought.
3)Rear seats should fold flat!
4) Should have a full size spare!
5)Too many gadgets.
Things I like:
1) Fuel economy
2)Sequential shift. I'm pleased with how it works on a rough road.
3) Decent ground clearance, but could have benefited from better approach and departure angles.
4) Engine sounds good and has pretty good pickup for getting onto the freeway
5) Looks pretty good

· Registered
White 2021 RAV4 LE / FWD with XP Trail Package
10 Posts
Things I don't like:
(1) Poor overhead interior lighting. Functional buttons for windows, door locks, and mirrors are not back-lit except for driver window lift. The lack of back-lighting for door locks is a safety issue. Returning to the vehicle in a dark parking lot, then trying to locate the small lock button nestled between other switches is a challenge... and is particularly unsettling for security conscious owners who keep the vehicle programmed to unlock all doors upon entry for ease of loading groceries or passengers. In addition, the drive mode selector switches and e-brake are positioned close together and are not back lit. It makes no sense why Toyota chose not to back-light all switch controls on the doors and center console.

(2) Poor exterior lighting. The reflector LED headlamps provide poor forward and side illumination beyond 20' with the driver side dropping off at 15.' In addition, the high beam reflector LED brightness and illumination field is insufficient for speeds greater than 50 mph on dark single lane rural roads. (The headlamps on my vehicle were set at the factory).

The automatic high beam feature does not always work as intended. Sometimes on dark, curvy single lane roads, the system fails to switch to low beams for approaching vehicles in a timely manner, or worse, switches the high beams on as nearby oncoming traffic exits a curvature in the roadway. It self corrects switching to low, lending the appearance of having rudely flashed the approaching vehicle. In addition, the system sometimes fails to recognize tail lights of vehicles stopped at a red light 50ft away... switching the high beams on before self correcting if no oncoming traffic is present.

The DRLs essentially operate essentially as reduced illumination low beam LED reflector headlamps. The interior dash lighting is back-lit when the DRLs are set to on. The tail lamps and side markers are not illuminated when the DRLs are on. This is a safety issue in vehicles not equipped with automatic on-headlamps. Whereas the DRLs can be set to "always on," drivers getting into their vehicles after dark may be spoofed into thinking their headlamps are set to on.

Tail lights not working after dark is a commonly observed safety issue by police agencies, particularly in cities and areas illuminated by street lights. This would be a non-issue if Toyota equipped the vehicle with an automatic on /off setting that operates both headlights and the DRLs. .

(3) Cabin noise is excessive: particularly, engine noise and road noise due to lack of sound deadening insulation, its ultra thin, non acoustical front wind shield and lack of acoustical front side window glass.

(4) Adaptive Cruise / emergency braking: Sometimes while driving on a highway behind a vehicle in front that enters into the right deceleration turn lane... the auto-emergency braking system kicks in unexpectedly, rather than resuming or retaining set speed. Needless to say, this can be un-settling when high speed freeway traffic is approaching from the rear.

(5) Exterior paint is easy to chip due to apparent insufficient layering of clear coat over the paint finish.

Five things I like about the vehicle:

(1) The FWD LE model does not have the annoying auto- start / stop feature found in many new vehicles.

(2) The naturally aspirated 2.5L 4-cylinder engine is well engineered and should provide trouble-free, long-term service, while delivering great fuel economy.

(3) The front / rear seating / leg room layout and useable space in the cargo area is well engineered.. probably, best in class for SUV / CUVs in the compact to mid-size category,

(4) The physical key required to start the vehicle provides better anti-theft security than push button / fob controllers. The old school analogue dash gauges / speedo / tach display, back-lit steering wheel system controls, physical buttons for HVAC and quick access center display menu items are my preference as an experienced "driver" over hi-tech full digital / display systems. The ergonomic, intuitive, old school transmission shifter is awesome... as well as the automatic on/off setting for the electric e-brake since the vehicle lacks an old school, manual e-brake lever control.

(5) The voice command system for both radio functions and blue tooth connected cell phone functions works great. It takes the stress out of trying to control those items through the center display while driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts