Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for putting up the pics and showing how they remove. This has been my major concern to the factory cross bars, they don't actually lock. I rarely ever leave gear on my car over night unattended but I would like to leave a bike rack or kayak rack up there for a few days if I know I'm going to use them over and over. But the no lock thing really bothers me. Yakima and Thule lock, but I have yet to see how the interface with the factory roof rails and I'm thinking the fit is not going to be anywhere near as good or clean.

If anyone does have picks of the Thule or Yakima versions installed I'd love to see em!
OK, OK fine... I'll have to show you my setup cause I think it looks great. As good and close to OEM as possible (personally, the OEM crossbars being black on silver side rails doesn't look too "OEM" to me)... I think I may update my other thread that is more on topic! I'll post a link to it in this thread when I've updated it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
OK, OK fine... I'll have to show you my setup cause I think it looks great. As good and close to OEM as possible (personally, the OEM crossbars being black on silver side rails doesn't look too "OEM" to me)... I think I may update my other thread that is more on topic! I'll post a link to it in this thread when I've updated it.
OOOOOOO no there are lurkers who like to loook. Do not be one of those old farts or major posters who like to intimidate others cause they have lots of posts on forum. Someone always cares, or interested in what is on there. I like to lurk and post. LOL lurking is fun if done in a non harmful way.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OOOOOOO no there are lurkers who like to loook. Do not be one of those old farts or major posters who like to intimidate others cause they have lots of posts on forum. Someone always cares, or interested in what is on there. I like to lurk and post. LOL lurking is fun if done in a non harmful way.
Ha! Well I'm out of town this weekend. I started writing my review but it's too wordy (3 pgs in MS word) so I need to scale it back. Look for something this upcoming week

·
Registered
2 Posts
Page 181 of my owners manual for my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid says:
"Do not exceed 101.9 lb. (46.2 kg) cargo weight on the roof luggage carrier."

Pardon my French but that aint' Sheeyite ! 102 lbs !

Given that most airlines have a weight limit of 50 lbs per bag before they consider them overweight, you are talking about two bags max up there.

I suppose Toyota includes the load on the roof from aerodynamic forces on the bags somehow. Don't know how Toyota accounts for the shape of the load as far as aerodynamic forces but a tall load will have more aero load for the same weight of something with a smaller frontal cross-section.

All engineers are a least somewhat conservative. Aircraft engineers design to a 1.5x factor of safety to ultimate failure and they are very weight conscious. Automobile engineers use a factor of 3.0 roughly. These are generalizations to be sure. A lot more thought goes into these safety factors.

I've got to figure the Legal Team increases the safety factors, or rather reduces the published safe load even further.

However, consider all the factors the engineers can't know, like the shape and center of gravity of the load. One could assume a max speed of say 75mph which is illegal most places but not everywhere. But aero-loads also depend on the shape.

Also consider, no matter how conservative you THINK the 102 lb limit is, you don't really know.
But you do know Toyota will not take the blame for any roof damage if you go over 102 lbs, or if you roll over while driving.

So...don't spend money on crossbars that have much more capacity than 102 lbs.
They might be better made, but the cheaper "weaker" crossbars still won't be the weak link. It will be your Toyota roof.

Any crossbar with a capacity over 102 lbs is plenty.
Crossbars are used in pairs so USUALLY each will take only half the load...so heck 51 lb capacity crossbars should be fine! Remember they are designed with a safety factor too.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts