Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Slow as molasses, sun roof is a joke, cargo cover has a gap between it and the rear seat, Lane departure will not shut off, annoys me!
I have to agree with you about being disappointed in the power, be so much more fun with 300 hp v6 in it. Oh and I'm not a spring chicken either...LOL

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have to agree with you about being disappointed in the power, be so much more fun with 300 hp v6 in it. Oh and I'm not a spring chicken either...LOL
This ain’t a V6. More power, buy one, how much gas mileage? Don’t care? Ok
A RAV4 Hybrid, more than enough power. Lovely gas mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This ain’t a V6. More power, buy one, how much gas mileage? Don’t care? Ok
A RAV4 Hybrid, more than enough power. Lovely gas mileage.
No it's not a v6, just said it would be more fun with one and about twice the hp. Don't care about gas mileage, didn't buy the Rav4 because if it. Hybrid is still weak in the HP department.

·
Registered
408 Posts
No it's not a v6, just said it would be more fun with one and about twice the hp. Don't care about gas mileage, didn't buy the Rav4 because if it. Hybrid is still weak in the HP department.
I’m happy for you, in the mileage department. And no, the Hybrid I have and the 2019 I am getting is NOT weak in the HP department. Compared to a V6, yes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some of these replies are hilarious. Having come from a 6 speed V6 Maxima, I have to wonder what some of the posters were thinking. It's a 4 banger ffs. So, I've owned my 2018 for a year. Two biggest gripes:

1. No automatic window down / up for the passenger windows. My 2007 Sequoia has it.
  2. Bitching betty - your seat belt isn't connected, the rear hatch is open, the back door is open, watch out, there's a car ahead... just shut up already.

#1 is a minor nit, #2 is for humor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Some of these replies are hilarious. Having come from a 6 speed V6 Maxima, I have to wonder what some of the posters were thinking. It's a 4 banger ffs. So, I've owned my 2018 for a year. Two biggest gripes:

1. No automatic window down / up for the passenger windows. My 2007 Sequoia has it.
  2. Bitching betty - your seat belt isn't connected, the rear hatch is open, the back door is open, watch out, there's a car ahead... just shut up already.

#1 is a minor nit, #2 is for humor.
Right on!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not intend for this to be a flame thread or troll bait, but I am curious what things folks here would like to change about their Rav4s?

I am now over 35,000 miles and sat at the dealership this weekend shocked about how quickly time flies. I bought my car in July 2013 and have obviously racked up a lot of miles since then. Overall, I am very pleased but have a few things for Toyota to improve upon going forward:

1) Ride Quality. At first, it did not bother me, but the ride could be a bit smoother and also quieter. I am looking forward to replacing my Bridgestone Dueler tires to see if that helps, but the ride has really become a bit harsh and I feel like the cabin is unnecessarily loud over 60 MPH. I plan to move to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires after these - I've used them in the past and they're the best tire I've experienced.

2) Connectivity/Electronics. I've had frustrations with the electronics in this car since day one, with BTSA automatically turning on and not turning off, overriding USB, etc. Ever since iOS 8 was released, I have nonstop issues with the connection between car and iPhone "loading" that requires multiple plug and unplug attempts, restarting my phone, restarting my car, etc. This is a disaster that Toyota needs to fix.

3) Gas Mileage. I drive aggressively and admit that, so I know that my MPG is not going to be the best, but I am bothered by how bad MPG gets above 70 mph. There is a pretty steep drop off if you are going 75+ mph. A CVT or extra gear in the transmission would help.

4) Narrow Driver's Seat. I am 6'1 and pretty broad, and the seats were "snug" for me when new. With some wear and tare, the bottom cushions have flattened out a bit to accommodate my frame and I miss the support that was there before. I'd like to see a wider seat and perhaps narrower bolsters. As it stands now, the cushions are pretty narrow and the bolsters seem huge.

Overall, that's really all I can complain about, and I've been very happy.

• The Rav has been rock-solid reliable
  • When I'm not going 75 MPH, it gets pretty decent mileage
  • The AWD system is second to none and saved me from our Snowmageddon last year
  • It's "right-size" for about everything
  • JBL sound system is great
  • Great interior layout that gets lots of compliments
  • Aside from the harsh ride, I love the handling and overall steering feel
  • Acceleration is pretty peppy in Sport mode for a 4 cyl AWD CUV
  • Softex has been great and still looks brand new - resisting a year and a half of wear and tear, dog claws, spills, etc.
  • Paint, internal and external materials have all held up very well
I have always compared this generation of Rav4 to a second generation Lexus RX - I think they drive very similarly (before the RX gained 500lbs and became so much "floatier." I know they're really two very different vehicles, but to me, the Rav4 initially felt like a "little Lexus" and I still maintain that a year and a half and 35k miles later. It's well built, rock solid and drives like a more expensive vehicle.

I don't regret my decision to buy one bit! How about you guys?
For me:
1. The design of the back of the car. Never thought I'd have problems washing a window but with the overhang you have to use a towel to wipe it clean.
2. The rear window wiper doesn't come away from the window in order to clean it. Again, have to use a towel.
3. Having a base 2006 Pontiac G6 STARTER edition, I was disappointed that the RAV4 didn't have variable speed wipers.
4. No automatic lights when wipers are turned on. In Ohio, it is a law to have your lights on when the wipers are in use. My 2006 Pontiac did but not a 2017 RAV4?
5. Problems with the USB port to play music. It appears to be fine so long as you don't add files to your USB drive after reading the flash drive.
6. I can't turn off the ANNOYING "Roads may be icy" when the temperature hits 37F degrees. I'm not some stupid tweenie and when the temperature has been about 37F I'd be totally shocked to find an icy road.
7. When leaving the lights on and getting out of the car the 'beeping' is so soft that we don't hear it. YET, it is nearly three times louder to tell me that the temperature has hit 37F degrees!!!
8. The horn is so soft that it wouldn't wake a baby let alone wake up an idiot with her cellphone. I'm heading out this summer and replacing it with a horn that wasn't made for deaf people.
9. The passenger floor mat. WOW. What CRAP!! It does't fit properly and is moves around the floor until it is now bent way out of shape. Thank God that the driver's side had a mounting pin to hold it in place.
10. The gear shift nearly destroyed my transmission. When putting the vehicle in drive it is EXTREMELY TOO EASY to put the vehicle into manual shifting but simply tapping the shifter to the left. Way too many times I've knocked it or my wife has knocked it out of automatic. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a recall for this. Dangerous as hell.
11. With 11,000 miles the rocker arms are chattering. I don't push the engine, ever and this is disturbing to have my engine chattering away like a car with 100,000 miles on it.

Enough? Wish I hadn't bought it and won't every buy another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me:
1. The design of the back of the car. Never thought I'd have problems washing a window but with the overhang you have to use a towel to wipe it clean.
2. The rear window wiper doesn't come away from the window in order to clean it. Again, have to use a towel.
3. Having a base 2006 Pontiac G6 STARTER edition, I was disappointed that the RAV4 didn't have variable speed wipers.
4. No automatic lights when wipers are turned on. In Ohio, it is a law to have your lights on when the wipers are in use. My 2006 Pontiac did but not a 2017 RAV4?
5. Problems with the USB port to play music. It appears to be fine so long as you don't add files to your USB drive after reading the flash drive.
6. I can't turn off the ANNOYING "Roads may be icy" when the temperature hits 37F degrees. I'm not some stupid tweenie and when the temperature has been about 37F I'd be totally shocked to find an icy road.
7. When leaving the lights on and getting out of the car the 'beeping' is so soft that we don't hear it. YET, it is nearly three times louder to tell me that the temperature has hit 37F degrees!!!
8. The horn is so soft that it wouldn't wake a baby let alone wake up an idiot with her cellphone. I'm heading out this summer and replacing it with a horn that wasn't made for deaf people.
9. The passenger floor mat. WOW. What CRAP!! It does't fit properly and is moves around the floor until it is now bent way out of shape. Thank God that the driver's side had a mounting pin to hold it in place.
10. The gear shift nearly destroyed my transmission. When putting the vehicle in drive it is EXTREMELY TOO EASY to put the vehicle into manual shifting but simply tapping the shifter to the left. Way too many times I've knocked it or my wife has knocked it out of automatic. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a recall for this. Dangerous as hell.
11. With 11,000 miles the rocker arms are chattering. I don't push the engine, ever and this is disturbing to have my engine chattering away like a car with 100,000 miles on it.

12. Yes, and as winter is over I forgot about ice building up in between the door and the "running boards" under the door. For us with antique cars, I know that they aren't true running boards. :) I haven't have problems with snow and ice building up in 30 years until this vehicle.
13. The heating and cooling are pathetic. Not the speed but air flow. Yes, it makes a great noise but there is little air flow. Now, I am comparing this to my 2006 Pontiac G6 bare bone starter edition but really? Worse than the cheapest care made in 2006?
14. Again with the fans. The air flow is so little but also that the air can't be adjusted to get it to blow down towards your lap. The vents won't move that much and there are no lower vents.
15. Again, on cooling and heating. Regardless of what you select feet only, head only, deice, it ALWAYS blows air out fo the outer vents, closest to the window. What gives? The Toy company knows better than I do that I always want air to flow from those vents?

And finally, which is with all cars produced today is the usage of 0W oil. 0W meaning that the oil provides no protection, no friction relief when cold No viscosity at all.

Even with this 0W/30 oil you should always let your motor run for at least 1 minute before driving it if you want your engine to last longer. The oil is one issue but your cylinders and rings need to heat and expand. By starting and driving your engine cold you have no friction protection for how long? and you are putting extra wear on your power ring around the cylinder. You might find yourself losing power over the years and burning oil sooner than you like.

·
Registered
408 Posts
For me:

Maybe I missed it but which model is this?

·
Registered
888 Posts
2017 Rav4 standard edition. Sorry. :)
Standard Edition? What country are you in? I also noticed most of your complaints are made basing this car against others. These are very popular cars and you would have no issue selling it. Perhaps you could buy something you like more? I sold my 16 and bought a Highlander.

1281 - 1300 of 1317 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
380 Participants
Uncle Al
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing