Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1301 - 1317 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some of these replies are hilarious. Having come from a 6 speed V6 Maxima, I have to wonder what some of the posters were thinking. It's a 4 banger ffs. So, I've owned my 2018 for a year. Two biggest gripes:

1. No automatic window down / up for the passenger windows. My 2007 Sequoia has it.
  2. Bitching betty - your seat belt isn't connected, the rear hatch is open, the back door is open, watch out, there's a car ahead... just shut up already.

#1 is a minor nit, #2 is for humor.
#2 is funny. I was driving down the road 70mph and the thing started B* about the Parking assist was offline. WTF? Who cares! In case you didn'tt notice, you POS, I'm driving 70mph, NOT TRYING TO PARK! LOL! I had snow on the front sensor <eye-roll>

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
2. The rear window wiper doesn't come away from the window in order to clean it. Again, have to use a towel.
Lift the cover at the pivot point and the arm lifts completely away.
3. Having a base 2006 Pontiac G6 STARTER edition, I was disappointed that the RAV4 didn't have variable speed wipers.
Sounds like you have the base model or maybe the LE. My wife's '15 XLE has them.
4. No automatic lights when wipers are turned on. In Ohio, it is a law to have your lights on when the wipers are in use. My 2006 Pontiac did but not a 2017 RAV4?
Same law in California, but it is not yet a nationwide law.
However, I suspect that the DRLs will satisfy the legal requirement.
7. When leaving the lights on and getting out of the car the 'beeping' is so soft that we don't hear it. YET, it is nearly three times louder to tell me that the temperature has hit 37F degrees!!!
It's not that big of an issue though. If you double-click the lock button n the fob, the lights immediately go off, otherwise, they shut off after 20 minutes.
8. The horn is so soft that it wouldn't wake a baby let alone wake up an idiot with her cellphone. I'm heading out this summer and replacing it with a horn that wasn't made for deaf people.
Very common mod for many Toyota models.
The Camry horn is a good upgrade and won't overload the wiring. Hella and other common replacement horns will require a relay... they might test out OK a couple of times, but they will blow the 10a fuse.
10. The gear shift nearly destroyed my transmission. When putting the vehicle in drive it is EXTREMELY TOO EASY to put the vehicle into manual shifting but simply tapping the shifter to the left. Way too many times I've knocked it or my wife has knocked it out of automatic. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a recall for this. Dangerous as hell.
The ECU will not allow the transmission to downshift into a gear that is too low for the current engine speed. It's not going to destroy your transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I dislike is being 6' and when entering the car I tend to bump my head because the slope of the front door is to steep. If slightly less of a slope it would be grat. 2) The front exhaust pipe is more of a u shape coming across the oil pan for clearence. If it was just slightly bent towards the shallower section of the pan it would have increased the ground clearance. This is a $400 after market modification.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Slow as molasses, sun roof is a joke, cargo cover has a gap between it and the rear seat, Lane departure will not shut off, annoys me!
Really, there's no way to turn this off? What model do you have?

Also, I'm curious to know how the other safety options are to owners. I don't own a Rav but I'm considering getting the 2017 base model.

3. Having a base 2006 Pontiac G6 STARTER edition, I was disappointed that the RAV4 didn't have variable speed wipers.
6. I can't turn off the ANNOYING "Roads may be icy" when the temperature hits 37F degrees. I'm not some stupid tweenie and when the temperature has been about 37F I'd be totally shocked to find an icy road.

When you mean variable speed wipers are you referring to not having an option to see what speed your wipers are being set to when turning them on?

To your last point, your saying that there's no way to turn off the automated voice that comes on when the temperature changes? Are there other voice warning prompts that come up like this?

Again, I don't own one but am considering getting one and just want to gather more information as I make my decision in the future.
12. Yes, and as winter is over I forgot about ice building up in between the door and the "running boards" under the door. For us with antique cars, I know that they aren't true running boards. :) I haven't have problems with snow and ice building up in 30 years until this vehicle.
Are you saying this allows snow and ice to get into the car from the driver's side? Does this happen with other areas of entry?

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts

Also, I'm curious to know how the other safety options are to owners. I don't own a Rav but I'm considering getting the 2017 base model.
It can be disbaled, it was one of the first features I disabled, didn't like it in my '16 Ltd HV or my '19. Please start your own thread with your questions rather than hijacking this discussion, I 'd suggest you use the search, but this new forum platform search sucks, doing a google site search is more productive.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Are you saying this allows snow and ice to get into the car from the driver's side? Does this happen with other areas of entry?
I found the button for it to disengage. SHEESH! the menu CANNOT shut it off by itself, even though it says on/off in the menu display. I think that only allows you to use the button what a Mickey-Mouse concept

·
Registered
147 Posts
We got some warm waether for once and I'm not happy with the AC in the rear. Even on full blast it's still hot enough that the babies car seat gives me a heat warning!

I'm thinking getting a remote starter for it so I can blast the AC to start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The snow and ice won't enter the vehicle. That is my wife's major complaint--mud builds up along the bottom of the doors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Two things: one, very poor Android phone support. Even without CarPlay, my iPhone works just fine, but my Galaxy Note 9 works terribly as though Android phones were an afterthought. And two, really annoyed that while there is seat memory, it doesn't extend to the mirrors.

Other than those two things, I love the vehicle to death!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having finally test driven one recently, the only thing I can say that I don't like about it, based on first impressions, is the lack of a larger storage space in the front. Mainly, the center armrest volume and the rather small cup holder sizes. Not a huge deal for me, but I did find it underwhelming compared to what my impressions were from seeing demo videos online. The only other thing would be the blind spot mirrors. I've never been in a car with those included so I had to get use to that feature.

Overall, I really was impressed by the 17' I drove. The backseats had much more room than I initially thought, plus I love how there's enough visibility for me to view the front hood and rear view mirror when driving. I'm honestly not sure what some people's problems were in terms of the vehicle feeling 'slow' or like a 'golf cart'. I really didn't notice either feeling at all Driving it, everything felt responsive. Guess I'll have to try it more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Fuel mileage not as good as expected
2. Audio system sound is crappy, supposedly for a premium system on the Limited
3. Ride quality over bumps/potholes - rear suspension hits too hard.
4. Same erratic transmission behavior described above.
5. NO BUILT IN GARAGE DOOR OPENER!!!!! This is unforgivable in my mind

As most, I like the vehicle overall.
I just bought a 2017 Limited FWD and did a 100 mile city driving test. After filling up (6 gal), I only got 16.6 MPG. This seems very low, considering this car should get 22/23 City - my 07 Rav4 4 cyl. Base delivered much better MPG. Are you seeing the below average MPG in city driving as well? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Limited FWD and did a 100 mile city driving test. After filling up (6 gal), I only got 16.6 MPG. This seems very low, considering this car should get 22/23 City - my 07 Rav4 4 cyl. Base delivered much better MPG. Are you seeing the below average MPG in city driving as well? Thanks
I HAVE noticed this!!! I'm filling up the gas tank three times as often as I ever did with my Camry SE, and that was a 2007 model. I forgot to add this to my pet peeves.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We didn't drive in the city much. Overall mileage was around 9 L/100. Now have a 19 Hybrid Limited and love it! Overall so far is 5.6L/100.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not intend for this to be a flame thread or troll bait, but I am curious what things folks here would like to change about their Rav4s?

I am now over 35,000 miles and sat at the dealership this weekend shocked about how quickly time flies. I bought my car in July 2013 and have obviously racked up a lot of miles since then. Overall, I am very pleased but have a few things for Toyota to improve upon going forward:

1) Ride Quality. At first, it did not bother me, but the ride could be a bit smoother and also quieter. I am looking forward to replacing my Bridgestone Dueler tires to see if that helps, but the ride has really become a bit harsh and I feel like the cabin is unnecessarily loud over 60 MPH. I plan to move to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires after these - I've used them in the past and they're the best tire I've experienced.

2) Connectivity/Electronics. I've had frustrations with the electronics in this car since day one, with BTSA automatically turning on and not turning off, overriding USB, etc. Ever since iOS 8 was released, I have nonstop issues with the connection between car and iPhone "loading" that requires multiple plug and unplug attempts, restarting my phone, restarting my car, etc. This is a disaster that Toyota needs to fix.

3) Gas Mileage. I drive aggressively and admit that, so I know that my MPG is not going to be the best, but I am bothered by how bad MPG gets above 70 mph. There is a pretty steep drop off if you are going 75+ mph. A CVT or extra gear in the transmission would help.

4) Narrow Driver's Seat. I am 6'1 and pretty broad, and the seats were "snug" for me when new. With some wear and tare, the bottom cushions have flattened out a bit to accommodate my frame and I miss the support that was there before. I'd like to see a wider seat and perhaps narrower bolsters. As it stands now, the cushions are pretty narrow and the bolsters seem huge.

Overall, that's really all I can complain about, and I've been very happy.

• The Rav has been rock-solid reliable
  • When I'm not going 75 MPH, it gets pretty decent mileage
  • The AWD system is second to none and saved me from our Snowmageddon last year
  • It's "right-size" for about everything
  • JBL sound system is great
  • Great interior layout that gets lots of compliments
  • Aside from the harsh ride, I love the handling and overall steering feel
  • Acceleration is pretty peppy in Sport mode for a 4 cyl AWD CUV
  • Softex has been great and still looks brand new - resisting a year and a half of wear and tear, dog claws, spills, etc.
  • Paint, internal and external materials have all held up very well
I have always compared this generation of Rav4 to a second generation Lexus RX - I think they drive very similarly (before the RX gained 500lbs and became so much "floatier." I know they're really two very different vehicles, but to me, the Rav4 initially felt like a "little Lexus" and I still maintain that a year and a half and 35k miles later. It's well built, rock solid and drives like a more expensive vehicle.

I don't regret my decision to buy one bit! How about you guys?
over 70mph, the RAV has a difficult time. I was constantly disabling/reenabling the cruise cause it would not upshift even on a pretty flat road. So it runs in 5th gear sometimes 4th. Over 80 (rt 90 in SD is 80mph limit) it is about impossible to drive in 6th gear. MPG obviously suffers.
45-55 is the sweet spot. Don't get run over!

·
Registered
16 Posts
over 70mph, the RAV has a difficult time. I was constantly disabling/reenabling the cruise cause it would not upshift even on a pretty flat road. So it runs in 5th gear sometimes 4th. Over 80 (rt 90 in SD is 80mph limit) it is about impossible to drive in 6th gear. MPG obviously suffers.
45-55 is the sweet spot. Don't get run over!
I'm going to have to take one on the highway the next time I go for a test drive in one.
Disclaimer: I do not intend for this to be a flame thread or troll bait, but I am curious what things folks here would like to change about their Rav4s?

I am now over 35,000 miles and sat at the dealership this weekend shocked about how quickly time flies. I bought my car in July 2013 and have obviously racked up a lot of miles since then. Overall, I am very pleased but have a few things for Toyota to improve upon going forward:

1) Ride Quality. At first, it did not bother me, but the ride could be a bit smoother and also quieter. I am looking forward to replacing my Bridgestone Dueler tires to see if that helps, but the ride has really become a bit harsh and I feel like the cabin is unnecessarily loud over 60 MPH. I plan to move to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires after these - I've used them in the past and they're the best tire I've experienced.

2) Connectivity/Electronics. I've had frustrations with the electronics in this car since day one, with BTSA automatically turning on and not turning off, overriding USB, etc. Ever since iOS 8 was released, I have nonstop issues with the connection between car and iPhone "loading" that requires multiple plug and unplug attempts, restarting my phone, restarting my car, etc. This is a disaster that Toyota needs to fix.

3) Gas Mileage. I drive aggressively and admit that, so I know that my MPG is not going to be the best, but I am bothered by how bad MPG gets above 70 mph. There is a pretty steep drop off if you are going 75+ mph. A CVT or extra gear in the transmission would help.

4) Narrow Driver's Seat. I am 6'1 and pretty broad, and the seats were "snug" for me when new. With some wear and tare, the bottom cushions have flattened out a bit to accommodate my frame and I miss the support that was there before. I'd like to see a wider seat and perhaps narrower bolsters. As it stands now, the cushions are pretty narrow and the bolsters seem huge.
I'm going to have to take one on the highway the next time I go for a test drive to see what you mean about loudness at high speeds. I haven't noticed anything when city driving, sounds fairly decent. The newer generation (I drove a 2017) by comparison is slightly louder, at least the engine is..

·
Registered
19 Posts
No transmission dip stick, no flasher relay, and the seat seems to slip back down, and the clock should be MUCH bigger when in the big window (3 panel) along with having the date/day on 2nd line and the oil filter ... can't make a simple one like most other cars???. But despite these inconveniences I do love my Rav4 .....

1301 - 1317 of 1317 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
380 Participants
Uncle Al
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing