Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets say my hybrid motor battery starts at 40% and i only have 20 mins to drive it in town at 45 mph max, no highway, what mode, eco, normal or sport, and what driving style would yield the most battery charge up? i would hope to get it up to 80% or more after the 20 min driving.
i would think sport mode plus aggressive style, but i couldn't really tell.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Only time I have seen battery charge above 50% is during very short drives on cold winter days when engine is in warmup mode and is dumping excess load into battery or when descending a long steep hill where extended e braking is required. Every other time it floats around 50% no matter how I drive, speed, weather conditions or mode.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
29 Posts
In my experience, gentle accel, and gentle braking (regeneration) keeps the battery charged the most. FWIW, mine seems to hover around 3/4 full, and at times, is nearly full. Only time it goes below 50% is when I'm in town, driving in 25mph zones, the ICE rarely needs to come on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You don't necessarily want it charged right up. Part of it's role is to absorb power from the ICE when otherwise it would be operating on an inefficient part of its performance curve.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Reason for me to put more chatge is becoz i am going to let the car sit over a month.
Of no benefit as traction battery will be disconnected if left for extended period of time. Auxiliary battery is the one you should be concerned about discharging. It should be fine if no extra equipment hooked up to it and there is no history of battery going dead. You can hook up a battery tender if concerned about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh dunno about the traction battery auto disconnect. The aux battery has been holding up great. The car fires up right away every time, i am loving it 👍

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium
51 Posts
You might pick up a portable jump start pack. You can use it to start your car if the 12V battery is ever too low to power up the circuits. But you can also use it to jump other cars, as a hybrid should never be used to jump start another car unless both are hybrids--the 12V wiring is not rated for the kind of high-amperage drain a traditional car requires to start. In the Rav4 at least, the 12V battery just boots up the computer, and that controls the high-voltage traction battery electronics which powers the starter motor over much thicker gauge wires than the 12V system uses.

There are some pretty good threads here on jump packs--basically anything will work for your hybrid, as the draw to boot the 12V circuits up is pretty low, but if you want to be a good Samaritan, look for a beefier model.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
108 Posts
lets say my hybrid motor battery starts at 40% and i only have 20 mins to drive it in town at 45 mph max, no highway, what mode, eco, normal or sport, and what driving style would yield the most battery charge up? i would hope to get it up to 80% or more after the 20 min driving.
i would think sport mode plus aggressive style, but i couldn't really tell.
I would rather end the day with a lower charge, then the battery is under less stress, as others have said, you need available charge space to store harvested energy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread with this question/statement but thought it goes along with the original post--- What is the furthest one can travel on battery only if conditions are right? I have gone close to 2 miles at 40 MPH or less with "EV" labeled at the top of the screen. Can it go farther?

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
108 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread with this question/statement but thought it goes along with the original post--- What is the furthest one can travel on battery only if conditions are right? I have gone close to 2 miles at 40 MPH or less with "EV" labeled at the top of the screen. Can it go farther?
It depends on what the computer wants to do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've gone down a 10 mile long downhill with the ICE off for most of that.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
29 Posts
Now there's a challenge I can appreciate. I used to do this in my 2012 Prius when there was no traffic. I've found that the RAV4 Hybrid can seem to stay in EV at higher speeds, even on the highway when coasting, compared to the Prius. It seems the system is refined

·
Registered
12 Posts
getting a Rav Prime SE, what is the best and fastest way to charge my car? also, i don't have a garage to plug it in. So i'd have to use charging stations in NYC. Can I upgrade the plug/cable it came with? Thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
46 Posts
getting a Rav Prime SE, what is the best and fastest way to charge my car? also, i don't have a garage to plug it in. So i'd have to use charging stations in NYC. Can I upgrade the plug/cable it came with? Thank you for your replies!
You might want to check the "Rav4 Prime" thread---I do remember reading something like this a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What makes me really angry and upset is that I discussed the fuel issue with my dealer's service manager 3 times. And as I understand it, the results of solving the problem are not yet visible

1 - 20 of 24 Posts