Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. My girlfriend has a 2006 Toyota Rav4 V6 3.5 engine car. I noticed yesterday that the coolant reservoir is empty so I have to get some coolant and fill it out. I have the pink colored coolant so can you guys recommend me a brand that I can order and fill out what is needed. Also I noticed that there a a lot of black tiny particles at the bottom of the reservoir, I've read that the pink stuff is actually dissolving the gaskets, is that true and should I get it in a shop for a flush and then probably fill out completely with new coolant. I will upload pictures of the black particles later. I am also wondering if the coolant is in a nice color and if it looks like it doesn't need a change, would it be a good idea to drain it and filer it so it clears out from the small particles ? Does the car work well with green coolant as well, is it better for the gaskets, what would you guys recommend me to do ?

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The Owner's Manual lists the necessary specifications for coolant. As long as the coolant which is being used meets those specifications it will be fine. Color doesn't matter but for example adding green coolant to pink coolant will result in a strange color, but again if the coolant meets Toyota specs regardless of color it will work as it is supposed to.

Don't know about the black spes, but they likely indicate that the existing coolant should be drained, the system flushed, and it should be filled with new coolant, mixed with distilled or soft water if it is straight, not half and half, coolant. If the coolant is supplied already at 50% coolant and 50% water it should be used as is.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I'd do what Blogson suggests, but if it were my RAV, I'd buy Toyota coolant at a dealer. I believe Toyota coolant is pink anyway. Since you don't mention when, if ever, it was changed, definitely flush the system and clean out the overflow tank.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Agree with ravenuer - if flushing the system using Toyota coolant will provide basically much longer service without further draining and flushing than if another brand is used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I order or take that from, what's the amount that I need and how much does it cost ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry just noticed.. it's V6. It takes more then 2 gallons.. 2.4 if I remember correctly for full flush.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Since the RAV is a 2006, if your girlfriend is not planning to keep it for more than 5 years you can use Chevron DexCool Extended Life coolant if the Toyota coolant is difficult to obtain. The DexCool coolant has the same coolant chemistry and technology as the Toyota coolant and meets Toyota specs. It also may be less expensive than Toyota coolant. It also is colored red/pink and is good for 5 years without having to replace it. Of course it could be drained and replaced after 5 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts