Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa Fe with V6? But have to get 3 rows to get V6 I think. I'd think some of the other small SUVs with V6 are in a pricier tier, and maybe considered midsized (BMW, Acura RDX, etc.)

Never considered a Hyundai before.

Is there anything comparable to the old Rav4's in power and weight?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well, if you're not against turbo fours. Top tier sportage, escape and forester are all over 240 hp I beleive. The outlander has a v6 but not sure on the output.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I recently drove my sister's 2016 Subaru Outback 6-cylinder and it was very nice. Plenty of power and nice interior. She said it has 73 cu. ft. of cargo space just like the 4.3 RAV4.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Santa Fe with V6? But have to get 3 rows to get V6 I think. I'd think some of the other small SUVs with V6 are in a pricier tier, and maybe considered midsized (BMW, Acura RDX, etc.)

Never considered a Hyundai before.

Is there anything comparable to the old Rav4's in power and weight?

Having owned a Hyundai, ordinarily I wouldn't have any reservations about getting the V6 Santa Fe. The major drawback where we live now is the scarcity of dealers, and one of the two which are at all accessible is in California where sales tax is charged and also sells Chevys - from experience I'm wary of dealers who sell more than one brand. Also, the Kia Sorento, highly ranked by Consumer Reports, would be a good alternative, but again here dealers are scarce.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If I was gonna replace mine I would look at the Santa Fe Turbo, Escape Turbo, Sorrento, Cherokee and the GMC Terrain...IF

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Other than reliability concerns, IMO the big problem with the Jeep Cherokee is that it doesn't have hardly any cargo space. I think 55 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down vs. 73 cubic feet + basement in the 4.3.

I have a friend with TWO of them (both V6, one Latitude for the wife, one Trailhawk for him) and the cargo space is pretty bad. I'm sure this is mostly due to keeping the (full-sized!) spare tire under the rear floor so people can have their precious liftgate instead of having the spare tire on the rear hatch where it belongs.

If it had really good cargo space (able to transport bulkier items), and you could overlook the reliability concerns, I think it would likely be the only true comparison to the RAV4 V6.

Though the Outback H6 is in the general neighborhood, I think. Better ground clearance but (again) some engine reliability concerns and that stinkin' CVT transmission. IIRC I think it only comes with a "training wheel" temporary spare tire, too. Plus only 2,000 lbs towing capacity (likely thanks to the CVT).

Other than that, we're pretty screwed into "turbo 4 premium gas land" or Highlanderville ($$$), I think.

The V6 Venza was a notable alternative, until Toyota discontinued it.

Thanks, Toyota, for screwing us out of affordable and maneuverable utility. :mad:

Reactions: skipkapur

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
Santa Fe Sport Turbo would be my first stop/test drive. Dimensions are quite similar inside & out to the 4.3 RAV. MPG is not impressive but I fill up once a month so I don't really care.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Outlander, Sorento, Santafe, not much else in terms of choices...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Santa Fe Sport Turbo would be my first stop/test drive. Dimensions are quite similar inside & out to the 4.3 RAV. MPG is not impressive but I fill up once a month so I don't really care.

I've read some good things just now about 2017 2.0T, I think that is something I should test drive. 240HP, weighs more, some hip/legroom stats are similar to Murano.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... I'd think some of the other small SUVs with V6 are in a pricier tier, and maybe considered midsized (BMW, Acura RDX, etc.)...
Yeah, for a little bit more $$ I'd consider the Acura RDX if the V6 is your main consideration. Slightly heavier, slightly more power. 77cu-ft cargo with 2nd row down. I 'think' it's still in the compact SUV range and not mid-sized, but the lines do get blurred.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I'm happy with the 2015 Rav4 for the most part. Another in the family thinks V6 needs to be in next car he gets and I read so many lamenting that the older Rav4's were better because of the V6 that I wondered if anyone still made a small SUV (lighter weight) with a V6. Things to check out when ready for next car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm looking at getting a Ford Edge V6 or Kia Sorrento V6 when I get rid of my 2012 RAV4. I don't have much confidence in the long term reliability of Turbos and CVT transmissions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those two are on my short list, too. Although I hope to get several more years out of my 2012 V6 Limited.

The new Edge has gotten good reviews, and I checked it out at the NY Auto Show. Very cool, I could see myself in it.

But it's definitely a price point above the Rav4.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A couple of months ago, I replaced my RAV Limited V6 with a Subaru Outback with the H6. Better than the RAV in many respects - roomy, much quieter, more comfortable front seats, better 4wd system and a plethora of elecro-nannies (hey, they work). The downside is that the H6 is not quite as fast as the RAV V-6 and it cost a bit more money. The CVT works better than you think.

I seriously looked at the RDX, which offers all of the features of the Outback and its V-6 is on par with the RAV, but it is more money still.

The BMW X3 will handle better than any of the above but the cost is pretty outrageous for this category, especially if you get the 6 over the turbo 4. Same goes for the Mercedes GLK. I would not get either car for the long haul due to service issues (disclosure: my other vehicle is a BMW).

I also looked at the Nissan Murano, which can still be pretty reasonable with the V-6 if you don't get the high-option models.

I will not get a turbo 4 as a substitute for a V-6. Period.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Amen, and Hallelujah!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
- Mr. Scott, Star Trek III

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
IMO, nothing that isn't nearly twice as expensive as the RAV4 V6 has come out in the same category in last ten years. The Subaru H6 may be close but from what I hear it's a gas hog and its "better 4wd system" requires buying four new tires if one gets ruined.

Of all the cars I've owned I had a Forester for the least time and lost the most money on it when switching to our RAV4 V6. Then after I sold it to a friend at 100,000 miles I had the delight of replacing the head gaskets when they started leaking.

CVTs may be okay for non-mechanical folks but for me it was bad enough going to automatics from sticks.

On my trucks, yes the turbos have lasted 200,000 miles, but will they on a car?

All the above doesn't apply to anyone who trades-in a vehicle every few years or in fact ever trades in at all. IMHO that's a sign they have plenty of money to spend, so go for it. Buy something else ASA the new wears off or a new feature comes out. Meantime I plan on keeping our '06 V6 for many years.

Reactions: DVS and mlrav

·
Registered
207 Posts
A couple of months ago, I replaced my RAV Limited V6 with a Subaru Outback with the H6. Better than the RAV in many respects - roomy, much quieter, more comfortable front seats, better 4wd system and a plethora of elecro-nannies (hey, they work). The downside is that the H6 is not quite as fast as the RAV V-6 and it cost a bit more money. The CVT works better than you think.

I seriously looked at the RDX, which offers all of the features of the Outback and its V-6 is on par with the RAV, but it is more money still.

The BMW X3 will handle better than any of the above but the cost is pretty outrageous for this category, especially if you get the 6 over the turbo 4. Same goes for the Mercedes GLK. I would not get either car for the long haul due to service issues (disclosure: my other vehicle is a BMW).

I also looked at the Nissan Murano, which can still be pretty reasonable with the V-6 if you don't get the high-option models.

As the resident BMW basher I totally agree with keeton's comment about the X3 regarding "the long haul due to service issues." (Disclosure: starting with a '72 2002ti [the best of the lot] I've owned many 3 series BMWs, one 5 series and an X3.)

Yes, BMW handling is marginally better. Tweaking the RAV suspension makes them about even in handling. Besides, good handling quickly fades after regularly shelling out rather large bucks :wall due to hyper planned obsolescence and flimsy electronic gizmos. BMWs are short-haul cars, 50-75K miles at most. If one wants to go into the luxury segment the Lexus RX with the V6 motor is the only way to go. Or just get a RAV4 V6 and be done with it. :thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts