Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help me out. I was in a hurry doing an oil change on my wife's 96 Rav4 for the first time and I drained some differential fluid out instead. The second I saw the color of the fluid and the smell of it I knew what an idiot I was (am).

Can someone tell me how to return 75w-90 to what I drained. It required a hex drive socket to open, and was to the right of the oil pan when facing the front of the car (clearly not the oil pan now that I looked around under there a bit). I did a search of the forum but nothing was clear to me.

I'm off to see if I can find a Haynes manual or something, and to pick up some 75W-90. I think I'll switch over to synthetic while I'm at it, probably Amsoil. Thanks for your time.

Josh

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have an automatic trans. I would say that is what you drained. I would imagine that to fill it back up requires going through the dipstick tube. But check the Haynes manual just to be sure. Also check the dipstick. :wink:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carquest didn't have a manual, but they clued me in that the local library would have one...who knew.

Turns out I drained the transfer case. I need to pick up a squeeze bottle or pump to get it up back into there tomorrow. Anyone know if I'll have problems from using a synthetic in there? Carquest only had valvoline 75w-90 in a syn.

Thanks for the reply dnylrq.

Josh

·
Registered
432 Posts
synthetic is good to use anywhere. The only thing is that sometimes with old seals is that the thin synthetics will get past the seal where old deposits from the old fluid may have built up. I can't imagine that you'd have a problem though. Just keep a look out for leaks.

P.S. Don't do that again :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I switched to Amsoil synthetic in my differentials (and every where else). I got about a slight bump in fuel economy and the car feels a little smoother.

I filled with a gear oil pump through the dipstick hole by the right tire.

Do the rear while you're at it. You'll need less than 2qts to do the whole job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts