Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't have one yet but what about the owner's manual or maintenance receipts? Flashlight or tire pressure gage? A pack of tissues or stack of napkins? The possibilities are endless!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I sometimes put my phone there if the cup holders are full. I have 2 phones and many times want my work iphone as far from me as possible, it fits well there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Or, leave it empty. Less stuff to rattle or slide around. It's always nice to have a quick available space to place something when the occasion arises or a nice spot for your passenger to temporarily put stuff.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I wonder what you could put in your Glove Compartment. Hmm...
Anything BUT gloves!

In my upper compartment I keep a Swiffer duster. At long lights I pull it out and dust the dash, radio, and console. Of course mine has a door on it so you normally never see the Swiffer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To me, that space seems clearly to be for the passenger to place a cell phone or similar device. Though, a banana fits there too. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have $30 for the first person who can sell me an interior trim matching flip lid for that space and has hinges that would screw into the bottom plastic trim piece and snap shut at the top. An extra $10 if it is a locking lid.

Remember the secret for becoming 'rich' in this world? Find a need . . . then fill it! There is definitely a need for this item and your market is only limited by the number of gen 4 RAVs out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed that under the rubber matting there's a compartment there ... wondering what for. there are 2 spaces that supposed to go there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I noticed that under the rubber matting there's a compartment there ... wondering what for. there are 2 spaces that supposed to go there.
Well we have owned our RAV for nearly 2 years now and I didn't know that. I have just gone and had a look out of curiosity. One has a hole which looks down into the glove box and the other is not very deep.
I have just told my wife about this and she asked why have Toyota done that? What's it for? "Why don't they get women involved in the design of car interiors more as women would have more sensible ideas about using space than men". Her pet dislike is the red flashing light with the padlock symbol, she wants to know why it flashes when the engine is turned off regardless of whether the car is locked or not. She thinks it should only flash when the car is locked as a warning to potential thieves but not flash when the car is unlocked to warn drivers to actually lock the car.

Getting back to that space we don't use it in case anything we put there falls out and either distracts the driver or causes a nasty injury to the passenger in the advent of a crash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I haven't looked at mine yet for those two spaces but it appears like a perfect spot for a QI type wireless cell phone charger... Too bad I've got mine already cluttered up with a HomePatrol scanner on a RAM mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't looked at mine yet for those two spaces but it appears like a perfect spot for a QI type wireless cell phone charger... Too bad I've got mine already cluttered up with a HomePatrol scanner on a RAM mount.
That's exactly what i was looking for. there are some diy videos in youtube on how to install a 3 coil wireless charging. just need to get power source. Under the dash next to cigarette lighter outlet there's a space where a wireless charger can perfectly fit. but i do not want to remove the rubber cause i might damage it plus its not accessible i think.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
In mine, the right side hole is an access to a big electrical cable. The left side looks an awful lot like a water drainage tray, though I can't think why it would be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want this space to be functional. I am struggling as how it can be functional. Suggestions?
It has a very rubbery, grabby surface that seems to indicate it was meant for things you don't want to slide around. I usually end up putting sunglasses or cell phone on there. It's nice as the surface really keeps things in place. Not good for receipts or small papers as it's difficult to pull flat paper off or you risk gouging up the rubber.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts