Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the single pole connector go to that is in the AC wire harness on a 99 RAV4, 4 door, 5 speed, 4x4?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Are you talking about the harness going to the compressor? Typically a single conductor plug like that is a ground of some sort.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I attached a photo, it may very well be a ground. It looked a lot like some of the single pole sensor connectors, but there aren't any within reach.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can you look in the end and see if it has 2 wires or 3?
Sort of looks like the A2 connector going to the AC pressure switch. Look toward the front.
If just one white wire with a black stripe, it goes to ground.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take a look, I guess I'm too close to the problem, I didn't think to check the color coding. It is a single black and white, so a ground, thanks for the insight.

I had the engine out and stripped out most everything in the engine compartment to replace a busted transaxle, do corrosion control, and insulate the fire wall. I took pictures of most everything before I removed it to make it easier to replace everything but, for some reason I didn't get a picture of this area.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now that it is daylight, not raining and a little warmer I went out and looked under my hood. Last night I was just using the electrical manual. I didn't pull the plastic shield yet.

There is a connector that looks like the one in your photo on top of the AC compressor, sits almost between the pulley and the case right on top. There is also another connector that sits above and closer to the belt, it appears to have 2 wires, the other connector sits under that one, almost hidden.

If you have a wire there, I'll pull my cover and try to trace it from the bottom.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that it is daylight, not raining and a little warmer I went out and looked under my hood. Last night I was just using the electrical manual. I didn't pull the plastic shield yet.

There is a connector that looks like the one in your photo on top of the AC compressor, sits almost between the pulley and the case right on top. There is also another connector that sits above and closer to the belt, it appears to have 2 wires, the other connector sits under that one, almost hidden.

If you have a wire there, I'll pull my cover and try to trace it from the bottom.
It was a single black and white wire with one connector. It comes of the bottom of the three way connector on the forward side of AC compressor. Pretty sure it's a ground by the maintenance manual.

I really appreciate the help. Sometimes when you are too close to a project you cannot come up with a solution, I was pretty sure if I asked someone would help.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you look on the top of the compressor it's right there. Definitely the clutch. There are a lot of toyotas that have that single wire plug after the 3 wire. The general 3 wire pinout most have is 1. lck sensor ground 2. lck sensor 3. clutch

Just because i'm bored I went and looked at both of the 99 rav4s in my driveway to verify. Maybe yours is cut off or something?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked, the clutch wire is plugged in, this is definitely not the clutch wire. You are right though it is a single wire. This wire isn't long enough to reach the clutch plug. According to my wiring diagram I found, the white/black wire is a ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's so weird. The only one on the back side of that 3 wire plug should be the clutch. So you have 2 of those little 1 wire connectors on there? Which pin is it coming from on the 3 wire?

Also, Toyota never uses B/W color code for ground. B/W is typically ignition switched power or A/C clutch. W/B is always ground. So, does your lock sensor ground have an intermediate plug past the 3 wire?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's so weird. The only one on the back side of that 3 wire plug should be the clutch. So you have 2 of those little 1 wire connectors on there? Which pin is it coming from on the 3 wire?

Also, Toyota never uses B/W color code for ground. B/W is typically ignition switched power or A/C clutch. W/B is always ground. So, does your lock sensor ground have an intermediate plug past the 3 wire?
I stand corrected. I found this info on an MR2 site, but it appears to be the same wiring configuration.

A/C compressor magnetic clutch B47:
light green 1- Lock (clutch lock sensor, sends out volt signal to lock sensor)
white /black 2- SG- (clutch lock sensor, receives switched signal from lock sensor)
blue 3 - 12v in from mgt cntrl relay

B47 is that triple connector on the side of the compressor facing upwards. I confirmed that this matches the color codes.

Found it!!!! I guess the cable was getting snagged that's why I didn't think it went to the AC clutch. With the alternator in place it is very difficult to see or reach in there to plug the connector in, but I did it. You would only be able to see it at all (with alternator in the way) except at night with a flashlight with the headlights out.

Thanks everyone for having patience with me.

·
Super Moderator
10,151 Posts
Found it!!!! I guess the cable was getting snagged that's why I didn't think it went to the AC clutch.
I was going to ask if the AC clutch was working :doh: but didn't review all the posts and figured someone else already had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts