Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What driving mode do you most frequently use in your Hybrid Rav4? For me it's ECO primarily for the gas savings and less wear-and-tear on the car. I find the "Sport" mode, and even "Normal" mode to provide significant improvements in acceleration, and overall responsiveness.

Are there any downsides to driving in "Sport" mode all the time? The obvious answer would be reduced mpg, but can you think of any other reasons why this would be a bad idea? I'm thinking there might be a bit more wear-and-tear on the engine since the rpm's hold higher to provide the quick acceleration.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
All the programing does is alter what happens on Tip In and changes the curve on the pedal stroke. Nothing is going to wear faster or cause any problems. It just makes it so the human doesn't have to think as the programs can be simulated with the right foot.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
928 Posts
Eco as I can simulate all the other modes with a harder press of my foot. Not that I am getting great MPG. The car's acceleration is too much fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Normally in Eco but now and then a little Sport Mode just to feel good when I romp down on the interstate. Can't complain about 0-60 in 7.4 second. Good for entering freeways. I remember the Highlander Hybrid I had when they first came out. Car & Driver was a calling the 4 wheel drive hybrid a rice rocket for doing about the same 0-60 in just under 7 sec. The RAV4 XSE isn't a Vette or even a Mustang GT, but they can't haul Me, the wife, a dog and 4 big bags of mulch and a flat of plants home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What driving mode do you most frequently use in your Hybrid Rav4? For me it's ECO primarily for the gas savings and less wear-and-tear on the car. I find the "Sport" mode, and even "Normal" mode to provide significant improvements in acceleration, and overall responsiveness.

Are there any downsides to driving in "Sport" mode all the time? The obvious answer would be reduced mpg, but can you think of any other reasons why this would be a bad idea? I'm thinking there might be a bit more wear-and-tear on the engine since the rpm's hold higher to provide the quick acceleration.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.
I use ECO mode for the fuel economy and don’t mind the slight change in acceleration. A major observation is that the heater takes much longer to warm up. I noticed it when leaving my ski area after night skiing where the outside temp displayed 18 F. Since it’s literally all downhill there wasn’t enough load put on the engine for it to warm up the coolant to pass to the cabin heater. Switching to Normal mode remedied that instantly after my subsequent trip down the hill! I imagine same is true for A/C during the summer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Eco. I know in older makes and models of hybrid I owned Eco also reduced the heating and cooling. However after moving from Colorado to SF Bay Calif. I rarely need heat or cooling so I haven't really noticed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts