Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preferably in their RAV, of course.

We recently did Las Vegas-Monterey, but in our Mustang Convertible rental. I have driven my RAV quite a bit (62,000 mi for a 2004) but that was mostly commuting.

I would love to take the RAV cross country. Has anyone else done so?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most fun ever had with my RAV4 was racing and doing sweepers at 170km/hr. Fun and dangerous....

Longest trip ever made without a stop except fuel was 2000km(~1218miles).

Fastest ever recorded on a straight was 224km/hr

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've taken the new RAV down to Orlando and back from Boston, and up to Northern Maine (30 miles short of the Canada border) and back from Maine.

Good long drive vehicle w/out any issues.

Took ownership of it in early March and have 9500 miles on it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done a couple mini-road-trips with my RAV4 so far.

March 2005:

From Vancouver, I took the ferry across to Victoria (on Vancouver Island, British Columbia's capital city) to attend a work-related conference for a few days. Afterwards, I took the ferry across the border into Port Angeles, Washington, and drove to Olympia. It was a nice, scenic drive along through the Olympic Peninsula along Highway 101. After an overnight stay in Olympia, I proceeded to Portland, Oregon, where I stayed for a couple of nights (and did some requisite tax-free Oregon shopping and watched a WHL playoff game :8). After Portland, I drove staright back up to Vancouver, BC via I-5, with a dinner break in Seattle.

August 2005:

From Vancouver, I headed over the Cascades via the Coquihalla Highway to Kelowna, BC in the Okanagan Valley (semi-arid wine country, for those who are unfamiliar with the geography of British Columbia). After an overnight stay in Penticton, and a few stops in the desert, I crossed the border into Washington and had lunch in Oroville (along Highway 97). After stopping to enjoy the scenery of Lake Chelan, we stayed overnight in Wenatchee for a couple of nights, and made a side trip to Leavenworth. After Wenatchee, we proceeded to Yakima, where we made a trip to Fort Simcoe, and then stayed in The Dalles, Oregon. After a nice along the Columbia River (I-84, with many stops along the way), we arrived in Portland. After a few days of sightseeing and shopping in Portland, we proceeded back up north along I-5, but made a detour to check out Mount St. Helens.

I don't consider these as part of the "road trip" category, but in June 2005 I also took a drive to Whistler, BC, and proceeded north to Pemberton, where I drove along some really rough dirt roads. Also, a month ago, I was on Saltspring Island, where I drove along a really rough, steep dirt road to the to the top of Mount Maxwell. The view was incredible (and would have been better without the rain)... could see the San Juan Islands in Washington state!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back after a two week trip from Upstate New York to Eureka Springs, Arkansas in my 02 RAV4 with 45K at the start. This was my first really long trip 2500 miles. My RAV4 handled everything perfectly. My wife and I found it to be completely comfortable, and me with ocassional back problems to worry about, but none on this trip. Seats very comfortable.

My next concern was going to be the my little 2.0 l engine at super highway speeds. Well this proved to be a non-issue. I cruised at 79 MPH for the entire trip and when I got home I had not lost a drop of oil to friction. The RAV 2.0 really does hold its own on the superhighway.

Where I did have a problem was in the Ozark mountains with a car full of suitcases. We did end up having the car drop down a gear to get up to speed while on cruise control. I overcame this by anticipating long hill climbs and cancelled the cruise control and drove the car up myself without dropping down a gear.

My gas mileage for this trip only netted me about 25 MPG. I expected better, but I know that it was because of the A/C problems I spoke of earlier in the General topic A/C has me confused. I learned that the A/C compressor is working when the temp control is in the blue and the path control is set to defrost and floor. So I was losing some MPG but I don't suspect it was a lot.

I loved the way the RAV allows me to pack suitcases. I folded the rear passenger seat on the left for more room leaving the passenger seat on the right alone so that my wife could recline her seat and nap. I got all of our suitecases (too many) in the back and a large coleman cooler included. On the return trip we had a ton of souveniers to deal with and all were packed out of sight.

All in all I'm looking forward to my next long trip in my RAV.

·
Registered
397 Posts
coast to coast

I am actually about to embark on a coast to coast journey with my '06 RAV. I am estimating the trip to be just shy of 3000miles. I will be leaving for a job relocation on Memorial Day Weekend. On Sunday, May 28 I begin my roadtrip from San Jose, CA and I plan to arrive in Duluth, GA on Saturday, June 3; with a number of planned stops along the way. So far, I have about 750miles on the RAV and will be getting that first oil change just prior to my departure. This will be the longest road trip I've ever driven...coast to coast RAVVVINNN! ! !

my old '02 RAV has about 115,000 miles and she's still chugging along like a champ! ! ! 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shortly after I got my RAV, my wife and I took it from San Diego to the Saguaro National Forest (West) which is right outside Tucson. The RAV ran like a champ (as expected) and I got many "that's the new RAV?" comments.

Great ride, great times. I did get a few odd looks when I was wiping down at rest areas :oops:

Good luck and safe travels on your trip RAVPHO. I would be interested to hear how you do on gas mileage. And for extra credit, record where you buy the cheapest and most expensive gas. :shock:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Coast to Coast

Thanks Slider, I'm gonna try to take it easy and take a few rest stops; as I have my bulldog making the trip with me, she's gonna have to take periodic breaks. :wink:

I'll try to keep a good record of the gas mileage and brand of gas I use. There are a few stretches where I will be driving all freeway for 300+ miles; the longest stretch will be from Flagstaff, AZ to Amarillo, TX, which is about 600 miles.

In the morning, I'll begin my journey.

From California :arrow: Georgia

~RAVPHO

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mileage Results

Well, here are the gas mileage results from my roadtrip from San Jose, CA to Atlanta, GA. I averaged 23.9mpg with average speeds around 75mph on the freeway; mostly kept my speed above 70mph the whole way, while getting up to 90mph on certain stretches. I used the A/C about 90% of the time, and the vehicle had a load of 3 passengers and enough luggage to fill up the entire cargo area.

Gas / Miles / Gallons / MPG
SHELL 144.2 / 5.909 / 24.4
CHEV 243.6 / 10.211 / 23.9
CHEV 249.2 / 11.033 / 22.6
SHELL 161.0 / 6.619 / 24.3
SHELL 263.0 / 10.117 / 26.0
SHELL 276.0 / 10.954 / 25.2
SHELL 262.3 / 10.84 / 24.2
SHELL 215.0 / 9.860 / 21.8
SHELL 141.0 / 6.575 / 21.4 *
SHELL 221.3 / 9.119 / 24.3
SHELL 185.6 / 7.118 / 26.1 **
SHELL 173.8 / 7.178 / 24.2
SHELL 217.6 / 9.880 / 22.0

TOTALS: 2753.6 Miles / 115.413G / 23.9MPG Average

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Just came back today, well, yesterday, from North Tahoe and OMG, my poor baby is so underpowered :(... It took a lot of effort to go up those hills and i had to put the gear in 2nd and sounded like an airplane was flying right over my head. Is that supposed to be that way? It "rested" while i drove through downtown Reno, but then after i got out of there, those stupid hills and curves again. My poor car could not handle them very well. Any experiences like this for the 4.2 2wd 2.0 liter owners? :?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
garfieldgurl wrote:
Just came back today, well, yesterday, from North Tahoe and OMG, my poor baby is so underpowered ... It took a lot of effort to go up those hills and i had to put the gear in 2nd and sounded like an airplane was flying right over my head.
Get a 4.3 V6 RAV "Chick Car" and you won't have that problem!! :roll:

OC

·
Registered
397 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Just came back today, well, yesterday, from North Tahoe and OMG, my poor baby is so underpowered :(... It took a lot of effort to go up those hills and i had to put the gear in 2nd and sounded like an airplane was flying right over my head. Is that supposed to be that way? It "rested" while i drove through downtown Reno, but then after i got out of there, those stupid hills and curves again. My poor car could not handle them very well. Any experiences like this for the 4.2 2wd 2.0 liter owners? :?
This was the primary reason for me upgrading to the 4.3 V6, I see around 30-40 days up in tahoe every season; and I had gotten frustrated with the lack of power the 4.2's had on the slopes. After about 4 seasons in my 2002 RAV, and 115,000 miles, it was time for a change. The 4.2 RAV was fully capable of some hairy road conditions (in fact it experienced the epic snow storm in tahoe 2 seasons ago where it dumped 18 ft. in 3 days), but when it came to climbing hills, with a car full of boarders/skiiers plus all the gear, good luck.... as OC said, you should consider the 4.3 V6 - it has more than enough power to get you and your buddies up the slopes without drowning out the tunes, and you can actually hold a conversation without yelling at one another :lol:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Very true about the yelling in the car :?. I do love my 4.2, but i don't really go up there too often, in fact, this is my second time since i've had my baby. I think i rather rent a v8 for that matter... oooor if the opportunity was given, i'd rent the v6 rav :mrgreen:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From Australia:

Just a cruise from Western Sydney to Avoca Beach at 9pm on a Saturday night.

Trip totalled about 200km so it wasn't far but it was nice cruising with my RAV4.1 and my mate's RAV4.2.

Just before the roadtrip we had a race too - my RAV4.1 left the RAV4.2 for dead mwahahaha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts