Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people get whatever is convenient. Others don't believe that different gas makes a difference in the performance of your vehicle. This thread is not for you. Please let's not make a discussion about whether or not the above is true. This thread assumes it is and would like your imput, suggestion, observations, experience. Thanks.

I'll go first.

Shell: my weak v4 on my 4.2 is much more sensitive than other cars i've driven. the shell gas appears to pull the car much more quickly and stronger. This many times is also one of the cheaper ones in my area compared with Chevron and 76.

Arco: I have to gas it longer compared with other gas before the car really starts moving. Feels like the throttle is opening and wasting gas b/c it doesn't go anywhere at initial contact with the gas pedal.

ORDER OF MY PREFERENCE:
SHELL
CHEVRON
I'd almost rather walk than put arco in my tank. My dad's car is already lagging from years of putting arco in the thing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Apologies if I did not read your first sentence, but it makes no difference because these things are Toyotas and are designed to run off things like tar, whisky and sea water. I have had the pleasure of driving Toyotas in many countries where the quality of the fuel has been highly questionable and have never had a problem, either with performance or the engine failing.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Irving, not only because it's usually among the least expensive, but also because the Irving stations tend to be in the most convenient places around here. If there are no Irving stations around when I need gas, I'll go with whatever is the cheapest, usually Citgo or Gulf; however I try to stay away from the shady gas stations that sell the off-brands. Shell, Exxon/Mobil and Sunoco tend to be more expensive around here. To me, gas is gas, and I can't justify spending more for premium gas because of supposed increases in performance.

My dad told me to get a gas charge card, but since I use my debit card to pay for gas, I don't see the need. Some people say "pay for gas with your credit card to get the miles or points", but I don't like to pay for consumables with credit cards, and besides I get the points anyway since I use my credit card for job-related travel and expenses.

K

·
0 Posts
I can't run anything less than 95 Octane. Prefer 98 Octane at least due to high compression.

N

·
0 Posts
kidong said:
I can't run anything less than 95 Octane. Prefer 98 Octane at least due to high compression.
WOW, That's some octane you have there.
I'm sure the calculation of octane is different in Auckland than the USA. Here, 87 octane R+M method runs fine.

K

·
0 Posts
noodlerooney said:
kidong said:
I'm sure the calculation of octane is different in Auckland than the USA. Here, 87 octane R+M method runs fine.
No, 95 Octane = 95% Octane rating.

Minimum octane gas in New Zealand is 91 Octane, but I can't run on them because my engine will ping.

We have standard premium which is 95 Octane, and Premium which is 98 Octane.

Racing gas is 100 Octane, which is also known as av. gas.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
kidong said:
noodlerooney said:
kidong said:
No, 95 Octane = 95% Octane rating.

Minimum octane gas in New Zealand is 91 Octane, but I can't run on them because my engine will ping.

We have standard premium which is 95 Octane, and Premium which is 98 Octane.

Racing gas is 100 Octane, which is also known as av. gas.
Yes but your octane rating is different.

Ours is (Ron + Mon)/2. Yours is straight RON. The regular, plus, and premium values match up when you calculate them in the same way.

MON versus RON

In fact, the Australian specification of 91 RON for unleaded is less than both MOPS 92 and 95. An important difference in Australian specifications is the MON requirement. Far Eastern specifications by and large have no MON requirements.

In order to meet the MON requirements of Australian regular grade gasoline it is necessary to consider much higher RON specified product. In practise, to meet a MON requirement of 81 min MON, a RON level of 94-94.5 would be required. Refiners do not give away RON, and therefore expect to be remunerated for higher RON.

The MON specification relates to the operability of vehicles, and incorrect MON causes poor combustion and increases exhaust emissions. MON indicates anti-knocking performance of fuel under higher engine speed and higher load conditions.
Australian 94 octane would be:
94 RON + 81 MON / 2 = 87 US octane
http://www.aip.com.au/industry/benchmark.htm

R

·
0 Posts
regular unleaded from BP (used to be Amoco).
I know a person who works for the state testing fuel at stations. She said that BP consistently has better scores at testings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts