Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

What "gear" do I tow in with my 2022 Rav4 XLE Premium Hybrid?

1630 19
I am towing my aluminum bass boat. I have only towed it a short distance and didn't go over 40 mph. I'm blessed to have a boat ramp 5 miles from my driveway. Owner's manual says to tow in Sport mode but gives no details I can find. I know the Hybrid only simulates gears. If I put it in Sport when stopped it goes to 3rd. I don't think I should tow on 3rd on the highway. I really don't know how many simulated gears I have. If I put it sport while driving around 50 mph it goes to 4th and I am able to select 5th and 6th. Does anyone know if I have 6 or 8 simulated gears? Appreciate any recommendations on towing. Thanks.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
the hybrid does not have a transmission which wears out due to towing like normal automatics or belt and cone cvt

all your tranny will do is get warmer when towing (heat could shorten life of the toyota ws atf in there)

the manual shift mode is for engine braking going downhills really

I'd tow in D and sport mode,
and only when going downhill, use the 'manual gears' to assist braking
by engine braking in tandem with mg1, mg2, and mgr reluctance

afaik....the statement in the manual about towing and shift range position
is talking about downhill and braking while towing, not flat surface or uphill driving

· Registered
3,406 Posts
I am towing my aluminum bass boat. I have only towed it a short distance and didn't go over 40 mph. I'm blessed to have a boat ramp 5 miles from my driveway. Owner's manual says to tow in Sport mode but gives no details I can find. I know the Hybrid only simulates gears. If I put it in Sport when stopped it goes to 3rd. I don't think I should tow on 3rd on the highway. I really don't know how many simulated gears I have. If I put it sport while driving around 50 mph it goes to 4th and I am able to select 5th and 6th. Does anyone know if I have 6 or 8 simulated gears? Appreciate any recommendations on towing. Thanks.
Relating what you're saying about the eCVT, I can describe how the 8 speed transmission reacts in my gas only Limited which has an actual 8 speed transmission. I can only imagine that the "gear" selection would work similarly when the gears are simulated as in the eCVT.

When I press the Sport button, the transmission is locked out of going into 7th and 8th gear and the shift points are altered to be more reactive. Basically, it's like turning off overdrive. If my fact are correct, 6th gear is a 1:1 gear ratio.

If you move the gear selector to the side to select gears manually, the number that shows on the dash is the highest gear the the transmission will go to when it shift up once you accelerate from a stop. It will not go past that gear number. So if you're climbing a hill and you feel that that gear is number is too high for the climb, you can select one lower and the transmission will shift done to it. Oh, and if you leave the number on the dash at 8, well, this is normal driving but I don't know is shift points are altered like in Sport mode.

So, in the "real" 8 speed transmission, this is what to expect. The eCVT should simulate this same gear selection and there is probably the same difference between the Sport button and manual shift mode.

Reactions: Variman

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
351 Posts
Relating what you're saying about the eCVT, I can describe how the 8 speed transmission reacts in my gas only Limited which has an actual 8 speed transmission. I can only imagine that the "gear" selection would work similarly when the gears are simulated as in the eCVT.

When I press the Sport button, the transmission is locked out of going into 7th and 8th gear and the shift points are altered to be more reactive. Basically, it's like turning off overdrive. If my fact are correct, 6th gear is a 1:1 gear ratio.

If you move the gear selector to the side to select gears manually, the number that shows on the dash is the highest gear the the transmission will go to when it shift up once you accelerate from a stop. It will not go past that gear number. So if you're climbing a hill and you feel that that gear is number is too high for the climb, you can select one lower and the transmission will shift done to it. Oh, and if you leave the number on the dash at 8, well, this is normal driving but I don't know is shift points are altered like in Sport mode.

So, in the "real" 8 speed transmission, this is what to expect. The eCVT should simulate this same gear selection and there is probably the same difference between the Sport button and manual shift mode.
The manual mode in the hybrid just controls MGU1 and what speed and direction it spins to cause less or more engine braking.

· Registered
469 Posts
The big difference between a normal auto box, normal CVT and the eCVT is that the gear ratio between the engine and the wheels is fixed.
By altering the direction and speed of MG1 you can vary the rotational speed of the ICE but you don't change the gear ratio.

· Registered
3,406 Posts
The manual mode in the hybrid just controls MGU1 and what speed and direction it spins to cause less or more engine braking.
I understand that, but what happens when selecting Sport mode?

On mine it's very clear that it's in 6th gear rather than 7th or 8th based up the engine rpm, yes, I the gas versions still have a tachometer.

Does the eCVT simulate "6th" gear in Sport mode, oh wait, how would you know. The electric motor would be controlling the speed and drive torque. That's a lot to wrap a brain around.

· Registered
333 Posts

On mine it's very clear that it's in 6th gear rather than 7th or 8th based up the engine rpm, yes, I the gas versions still have a tachometer.

Does the eCVT simulate "6th" gear in Sport mode, oh wait, how would you know. The electric motor would be controlling the speed and drive torque. That's a lot to wrap a brain around.
hybrid sport mode gives better throttle response, better steering response...
meaning you can handle vehicle dynamics a bit quicker than normal mode
or eco mode. and if towing , that might matter. it doesn't actually matter as much
in a hybrid what mode...except manual gear mode is for engine braking, not getting up to speed

gears and mode matter far more in the ICE only rav with automatic tranny, you have to do what
you can to protect the transmission. in a hybrid the transmission laughs at everything you throw at
it, they are tanks.

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
351 Posts

I have a hybrid, so I would know. You can go through all the "gears" still since it only has 6 simulated gears. Sport mode in the hybrid only changes the stiffness of the steering and throttle response of the accelerator pedal.

· Registered
469 Posts
Because the throttle response is different in sport it feels more lively when there is a heavier load. In the effect the maximum power is identical whatever mode it is in but in sport you have to press the go pedal less.

· Registered
634 Posts
One thing I have noticed about the Rav4H is how well cruise control does at maintaining speed. Going up or down a hill vehicle speed keeps within +- 1 kph by seamlessly increasing power or regening battery to maintain speed. When ascending or descending a hill on cruise a conventional vehicle will often times drop 5 or 6 kph before down shifting and then overshooting set speed and may do this several times on same hill. When descending it may coast several kph over before gearing down and then surge in an effort to slow. When towing a heavy trailer the driver sometimes has to put transmission in manual to avoid frequent and annoying downshifts. The hybrid suffers from none of these shortcomings. No reason why you can't hook the trailer up and drive in whatever mode you normally drive in and let the smarts do it's job and when slowing down depress brake to dump power into battery rather than gear down and lose that energy.

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
351 Posts
One thing I have noticed about the Rav4H is how well cruise control does at maintaining speed. Going up or down a hill vehicle speed keeps within +- 1 kph by seamlessly increasing power or regening battery to maintain speed. When ascending or descending a hill on cruise a conventional vehicle will often times drop 5 or 6 kph before down shifting and then overshooting set speed and may do this several times on same hill. When descending it may coast several kph over before gearing down and then surge in an effort to slow. When towing a heavy trailer the driver sometimes has to put transmission in manual to avoid frequent and annoying downshifts. The hybrid suffers from none of these shortcomings. No reason why you can't hook the trailer up and drive in whatever mode you normally drive in and let the smarts do it's job and when slowing down depress brake to dump power into battery rather than gear down and lose that energy.
I'm with you on press the brake while descending. Putting it into manual will waste that potential charging into engine braking which will just create heat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts