Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our 1996, the manual told us to use low grade. However...in the manual for the new RAV, it says to use 87 octane or higher. So, my dh filled her up with the 87 octane since this is what we did with our old RAV.

Maybe I'm crazy...but, since my dh filled her up, I feel a difference in the way the RAV "picks up." She seems a bit slower and seems to drag a bit.

I'm wondering what grade of fuel I should be using? Does it matter for the "pick up and go?"

Thanks for any advice!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flyingn said:
the engine was designed to run on 87. Thats all I run and it runs fine.. If you run a higher octane fuel if you don't need it all you are doing is thinning your wallet.. 87 is low grade.. Im not understanding what your saying..
Yes, I know 87 is low grade. This is what we used with our old 1996 RAV...and, this is what we put in with our new 2006 RAV. But, since we filled up...our RAV seems to be sluggish. I wonder if we got a bad batch of gas or something? Something just seems different.

Edited to add...in the new manual it says you can use 87 or higher. HIGHER is what is different.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Minimum is 87. You can always put higher octane. Whether putting in higher octane is worth the difference in price is the question.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in colorado we have grade 85 because of our elevation. the dealership said i can use 85 in my RAV. i do agree that anything higher than 87 for our RAVs would be a waste of money...the first tank i got was 91, and second tank was 85. i really didnt notice a difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
RAVishing said:
flyingn said:
the engine was designed to run on 87. Thats all I run and it runs fine.. If you run a higher octane fuel if you don't need it all you are doing is thinning your wallet.. 87 is low grade.. Im not understanding what your saying..
Yes, I know 87 is low grade. This is what we used with our old 1996 RAV...and, this is what we put in with our new 2006 RAV. But, since we filled up...our RAV seems to be sluggish. I wonder if we got a bad batch of gas or something? Something just seems different.

Edited to add...in the new manual it says you can use 87 or higher. HIGHER is what is different.
Make sure the gas cap is on right.....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rav4less said:
RAVishing said:
flyingn said:

Make sure the gas cap is on right.....
I'll check to make sure the cap is on right. Thank you very much!!

btw...it sounds like using a higher grade isn't the problem. I didn't think so...but, this is bothering me that the car doesn't seem to be running as "perky" as it did with the first tank. We only have 400 miles (just hit 400 yesterday)...we just started our second tank of gas.

Thank you all for your help!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at first when i purchased this car i thought it'll save me a lot of gas money cuz i can just fill it up with regular 87 octane gas, but after a couple of fillup's the engine became extremely loud and the car's shaking during idle...that kinda freaked me out so i've upgraded to 92 premium gas...from then on everything's nice and smooth :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
octane has *NOTHING* to do with what you experienced. Octane is the speed a gas burns. The higher octane the slower it burns. This is why you do not get pre ignition (knocking)with a higher octane fuel. What you experienced has not a tiny bit to do with fuel burn speed. Your wasting your money. Its like you just got 25% less fuel economy basically. You may have gotton a bad batch of fuel. Go back to regular and see what Im talkign about.

Frank

GINGER said:
at first when i purchased this car i thought it'll save me a lot of gas money cuz i can just fill it up with regular 87 octane gas, but after a couple of fillup's the engine became extremely loud and the car's shaking during idle...that kinda freaked me out so i've upgraded to 92 premium gas...from then on everything's nice and smooth :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Flyingn is 100% correct - octane is a measure of volatility, at what temperature gasoline will ignite. Higher octanes ignite at a higher temperature, lower octanes at a lower temperature, thereby being more susceptible to preignition. I work for the local government agency that tests the quality of motor fuels including octane and cetane ratings within my jurisdiction. Octane is determined by doing a high stress and a low stress test on specifically designed test engines, and taking the average of the two tests. Contrary to popular myth, higher octane grades do NOT have more BTU's per gallon, nor do they necessarily have more cleaning additives than regular grades.

Use the octane that your engine was designed for, and you should have no problems as long as the gasoline retailer has been doing his regular tank/dispenser maintenance. I cringe when I hear some folks mention how they let their tank just about run down to nothing so they could test their mileage. Wrong - that is the best way to get condensation in your tank, especially in the colder winter months, don't let your tank go below 1/4 full. I could tell you horror stories about how we get complaints from people who let their tanks just about go dry, fillup at the gas station and then can't even start their car to pull away from the pumps - and then claim the gas they just bought was contaminated. Then we go in and test, and to their disbelief, nothing is wrong with gasoline from the retailers tank from which they just purchased!

Other hints - change fuel filters regularly (every 15 - 20K miles), and NEVER purchase gas at a station that has a tanker truck dropping a load into the storage tanks - whatever sediment or water is in the tank will be stirred up. Buy gas from stations that appear to have newer dispensers and equipment, don't buy gas just by price!

Sorry about the War & Peace novel, but this is my field at work! :wink:

OC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts