Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Draw-tite hitch arrived yesterday while I was away surfing in Tofino. Since my brother has us booked for camping in Tofino on Tuesday, this was good timing. I'm really looking forward to the maiden voyage with our 2008 Limited V6 towing our Cadet camper.

However, there is the little matter of installing the hitch and wiring and testing it to make sure it all works. My wife volunteered to be my assistant, which is really nice. It's much easier to do with two holding up the 38lb. hitch while bolting it on. It was a pretty easy job, made easier by having previously installed the hitch and wiring on our Pontiac Vibe. I did unhook the exhaust from the hangers to make things easier on the passenger side, although some have reported they haven't needed to. There wasn't much crud in the threads in the frame, but there was some anti-rust gunk in there. I just worked a bolt carefully up in each hole a turn or so at a time and backing it up when the crud got thick and cleaned it off. Still added some time to what is otherwise a 20 minute job.

The wiring was easier than I remember, but I guess part of that is having done it before and watching the video on e-trailer's web site (they even use a 2008). We did one thing different. While e-trailer (and Curt themselves) just leave the 4-pin connector inside the vehicle and close the door on it when in use, my wife insisted she had enough of that nonsense from trailering with the vibe. We found a suitable sized grommet in the rear storage compartment and routed the wire out that way, it turns out the Curt kit just barely has enough wire to make it the whole way if you are clever about how you route it.

Anyway, we'll be off camping in a couple of days to see how we like it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is that camper weight like 2,700 lbs? Would be nice if you had something to monitor transmission temperature.
IMO I would add a supplementary cooler on the transmission for towing something like that. But where I live is hotter than most of Canada, so YMMW.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
A floor jack or the one from the car would work if you did not have a second helper to hold up the hitch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that camper weight like 2,700 lbs? Would be nice if you had something to monitor transmission temperature.
IMO I would add a supplementary cooler on the transmission for towing something like that. But where I live is hotter than most of Canada, so YMMW.
No, the camper is more like 1000lbs empty. We towed it 3 1/2 months and 10,000 miles last Winter with our Pontiac Vibe. I think it was just beyond the capacity of the Vibe. I'll likely add a transmission cooler - the Vibe certainly could have used one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A floor jack or the one from the car would work if you did not have a second helper to hold up the hitch.
I had read about that somewhere (probably on rav4world), however my assistant was better at putting in the bolts than a floor jack and much better company as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts