Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front raises a ridiculous amount under hard acceleration. I'm looking almost at the sky! Oh for the days of my BMW motorcycle that did the very opposite.

I know there is no cure for the RAV4. Just venting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Remove the rear drive shaft.

It may still raise up, but the resulting torque steer will make it so you don't even notice.

:D

Actually, I haven't noticed much rise in mine. Maybe you have some issues with shocks or suspension?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the rear drive shaft.

It may still raise up, but the resulting torque steer will make it so you don't even notice.

Actually, I haven't noticed much rise in mine. Maybe you have some issues with shocks or suspension?
No torque steer at all, and I don't know how there could be any with electric steering. Issue with shocks, suspension? It is all stock.

Maybe it's the supercharger. >:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
No torque steer at all, and I don't know how there could be any with electric steering. Issue with shocks, suspension? It is all stock.
DVS doesn't expect that your RAV exhibits torque steer...precisely because of the AWD.Folks with a V-6 and FWD know about torque steer !
And as far as the electric steering? It could be powered by unicorn farts for all the difference it would make. Torque steer is caused by an imbalance in the torque distribution between the right and left drive wheels. In FWD vehicles,one half-shaft is almost always longer than the other,so the long one "gives" more than the shorter one....unless it is compensated for by design...making the longer half-shaft beefier is the usual fix. At any rate,unless the steering is completely devoid of feedback,this torque steer imbalance will be felt through the steering wheel.It matters not a whit whether the steering is powered or not.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DVS doesn't expect that your RAV exhibits torque steer...precisely because of the AWD.Folks with a V-6 and FWD know about torque steer !
Once under way, four-wheel-drives turns into front-wheel-drive. Get it? I get no feedback from torque steer.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't seriously be that dense,so I assume you are joking.
Not joking.

Once the RAV4 four-wheel drive is over ~25 MPH it turns into front-wheel drive.
When the smart traction kicks in at speed it modulates the brakes and differential.

Learn up!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not joking.

When the smart traction kicks in at speed it modulates the brakes and differential.

Learn up!
So are you saying that above 25MPH the is front wheel drive only and that the rear wheels do not engage whatsoever?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Also if your front end is raising that much it's time to replace struts and shocks...mine raises very little if at all...

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Not joking.

Learn up!

Seems that the reference is to the VSC. But I have a noticeable amount of torque steer in my '11 4WD V6 RAV in the lower gears under moderately hard to WOT acceleration, but almost zero front end rise, VSC switched on and switched off. Is there more info about "smart traction? - the references I could find seem to have to do with 4-Runner and other more dedicated off-road vehicles.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Seems that the reference is to the VSC. But I have a noticeable amount of torque steer in my '11 4WD V6 RAV in the lower gears under moderately hard to WOT acceleration, but almost zero front end rise, VSC switched on and switched off. Is there more info about "smart traction? - the references I could find seem to have to do with 4-Runner and other more dedicated off-road vehicles.
I have never of smart traction with the rav4.....also check your tire pressure since uneven pressure can cause or multiply torque steer...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not joking.

Learn up!
Hi Pico.

To my knowledge, and if I'm interpreting your statements correctly, you are quite mistaken about how the 4WD system in the RAV4 works.

Essentially the system will go into 4WD mode, with varying percentage of power going to the rear wheels, whenever the sensors detect it would be beneficial to the safe operation of the vehicle. At any speed. It's actually a surprisingly smart system.

True, it starts in 4WD mode from every stop, but when it reverts to FWD mode is anyone's guess. It could be at 10 MPH, 12 MPH, whatever. When power is going to all 4 wheels, the power is distributed enough that torque steer (pulling to one side) isn't noticeable.

It's also true that pressing the "4WD Lock" button will force it into 55% front / 45% rear mode until the vehicle reaches ~25 MPH, then it will go back into Auto mode. In that mode it may, in fact, keep some power going to the rear wheels once the Lock kicks off, or it may not.

But it's definitely not true that the 4WD RAV4 will only ever be in FWD mode above ~25 MPH. IIRC, I think some power goes to the rear wheels under moderate acceleration, regardless of speed, which would explain why you don't feel torque steer when accelerating at any speed with a 4WD RAV4. Hopefully my previous bit of silliness suggesting you effectively convert your RAV4 to FWD will make more sense now. :thumbs_up:

Here's a primer with more details, including official info from Toyota: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/145578-4wd-lock-button-vsc-off-button-dac-button-how-they-work.html#post1432690

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Rebelcuz

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my experience tires play a significant role in whether there is torque steer or not. My '11 4WD V6 exhibited wicked bad torque steer under full power from a standstill. Once I got rid of those awful Bridgestone Duellers the torque steer vanished. As for doing a wheelie, maybe the issue is shocks. Here I go again...Sachs anyone?

pico, if you must have another BMW motorcycle I've got one--2004 K1200RS--for sale at a very reasonable price. email me if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, thank you to DVS for the articulate summary. I took a short-cut when mentioning smart traction control.

pico, if you must have another BMW motorcycle I've got one--2004 K1200RS--for sale at a very reasonable price. email me if you're interested.
I had an 81 R100RS. Under hard acceleration the rear drive pinion rode down on the crown gear, causing the rear to rise. (And mine did accelerate well using Mikiuni slide carbs.)

Thanks for the offer but my days of motorcycling are over thanks to a hard crash with head injury. I still walk with a cane sometimes.

Funny, but I rode motorcycle for over 30 years with no serious crashes then one day on the bicycle I went down so hard it broke my helmet. I was also almost hanged by the neckstrap when it caught on the truck's towing mirror. And I have pictures to prove it. :serious

·
Registered
207 Posts
pico,

I think the R100RS is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built. I've ridden older R bikes so I know of what you speak. The newer R and K bikes do not have the drive pinion-crown gear rear end rise issue. They feel like chain-driven bikes. And with 130hp the K12 accelerates like an F1 or Indy car.

I've ridden since the 1960s. But my days of motorcycling are over too. I also walk with a cane sometimes. My new knee isn't a problem but my arthritic hip is. So are my earlier fractures from crashes. I simply cannot get on and off a bike easily like I used to. That goes for bicycles too which I used ride on long-distance tours. Lately I'm riding my wife's adult tricycle. Cool. I fully understand what you've said. I hope some youngster appreciates the K12 and wants to buy it.

Cheers,
mlrav

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
I have never of smart traction with the rav4.....also check your tire pressure since uneven pressure can cause or multiply torque steer...

I hadn't heard about "smart traction" with the RAV, either, which is why I was querying pico's statement. About torque steer, my tires are checked frequently and are maintained at the same pressure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts