Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a bit of an issue, seems like my 2000 RAV4 is leaking some bright green fluid near the front of the car, and it will only leak when I'm driving. I notice the leak starts to stop when I am parked. I read online that it could be antifreeze/coolant, and I don't believe it's the radiator. Maybe an ac leak? I'll attach some pictures, any advice or info would be great!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Definitely a coolant leak but coming from the firewall side of the engine it's not the radiator or water pump. Probably a heater hose. May be as simple as tightening or replacing a hose clamp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, do you know where I should check for the hose first? Or where it might be connected? I'm a little new at this.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Start the engine up, as it warms up, the pressure will build up and the leak should start again. Look for it around the hoses at the back of the engine, as the good Dr said.

·
Registered
609 Posts
When mine leaked like that I had a crack in the radiator tank.
I was able to replace the radiator without unhooking the AC.

But just a hose problem would be nice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Most bright green coolants have a fluorescent dye in them. Does anyone know if the OEM fluid has it? You might do better looking for a slow leak with a black light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, need help again, So I opened the hood and looked everywhere, I could not find any leaking hoses. I went online and searched around a bit since the coolant is dripping off of the right of the engine, right under the engine oil, I think it might be the Intake Manifold gasket. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Or I also read it could be freeze plugs...
Yes, that's a good possibility and consistent with the steady stream of coolant in your second picture. They are steel caps that seal holes in the block, usually one per cylinder. They fail by rusting thru gradually then starting to leak a fair amount. A head or manifold gasket would tend to start weeping as it failed. IMO it's time for a mechanic to diagnose it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As the Dr says, sounds like the head gasket, I've had the inlet manifold off mine twice, there's no coolant running through it, there is coolant running into and out of the IAC but that's the other end, you said under the oil, I assume you mean oil filler cap?
I may we'll be wrong but I think the freeze/core plugs are on the front of the engine block, could be on the back too though.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Or I also read it could be freeze plugs...
Possibly, but if one has been using Toyota spec. coolant it has anti-rust and anti-corrosion inhibitors which are supposed to prevent freeze plug failure. Coolant leaks which are comparatively obvious such as leaking hose clamps are relatively simple to find, but many leaks are much more difficult and as was suggested it may be time to take it to a good repair shop. I had a coolant leak in a Mazda which took three trips to the dealer for them to even detect it (had to leave the car overnight each time), and once they did they repaired the problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree that anti freeze should prevent corrosion as well as freezing, if the quantity is correct and not over diluted.
I wasn't going to mention this but......is the correct antifreeze being used, in the UK Toyota antifreeze is red..... Not querying just the colour but the type, that said the wrong type used usually causes blockages and overheating.

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Whatever the failure is, IMO if it wasn't a hose it's beyond the OP's expertise. Time for a mechanic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any idea the last time the water pump was changed? Think the pump is behind the timing cover on these which might hide the leak until the coolant makes its way out at the bottom rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts