Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,
I have been lurking for quite some time on this forum and find it very useful. I tried to search for the average mileage everyone is going on the original pads. I am a bit surprised that I'm at 29,000 miles and its almost time to replace. I discovered it while rotating the tires this weekend. I purchased a 2013 certified pre owned from the dealer with only 21,000 miles on the vehicle last September. Normally with a newer vehicle I usually go 40,000-60,000 miles on original front brakes depending on the vehicle of course. 29,000 seems a bit premature. I also own a 2014 Mazda CX-5 with about 42,000 miles and can easily go another 10,000 miles before the pads have to be changed. I will admit I do like how the brakes perform on the Rav 4. It has a good bite so maybe that's just the trade off. Just wondering what type of mileage others are getting on the original pads.
Thank you,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, went 55,000 miles (or 89,600 Km), on the factory front pads.

We are into the 2nd set of Toyota front pads, +37,000 miles already (or +59,000 Km) and will review wear, this December...when winter tires, go on.
- I replace rear OEM brake rotors & calipers with a premium brake kit, from MAXBrakes.
- Brake Kit's been an excellent choice
Here is good link, read all posts: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/264113-front-brakes-pad-up-replacement.html

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have 98,000 km (61000M) on the original pads and they are still good for now. I expect to replace by winter.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
If I can't get 50K minimum out of a set of pads, I'd be looking for reasons why not. I'm nowhere near that time on my 2016, but I expect with my driving habits, 50K would be the minimum I'm looking for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just bought my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid, so it'll be a long time before I find out. My previous car was a 2006 Prius. In 2017 I had 140k miles on it and never had to change the brake pads. I had them inspected per the scheduled maintenance and every time the mechanic said they look fine.

The obvious reason for the long-life is simply being a hybrid.

Another way to lengthen the life dramatically is DO NOT brake heavily, if you can help it. Anticipate your stops from a long distance when possible and gradually slow down. This will cause nearly 100% of your braking force to be caused by the regenerative braking, not the friction brakes. The extra benefit is more regenerative braking (instead of friction braking) will result in slightly better MPG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine has a bit over 40k. Pads are fine, but the rotors are warped. Pretty sad considering I got 70k on the front and almost 100k on the rear of my 2005 RAV brakes.
As I understand it, rotors rarely warp. Almost always it brake pad deposits on the disk(s).

I repeatedly had pulsating brakes after 30K miles or so on a 2004 Camry. After reading articles like the ones I link to below I bought a disk run-out checker. Though my latest set of rotors were pulsating rather badly, no out-of-true could be measured -- the rotors were essentially perfectly flat. A very thin trim got rid of the pad deposits and they were like new again. I couldn't find it quickly but there use to be a web article on how to break in new pads and rotors to prevent this. According to the article one of the main causes is making hard stops and then holding your foot on the break after stopping. The pads left against the hot rotor does something with the pad material. My wife does this.

Brake rotors don't warp!! - Car and Driver Backfires
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

For some reason the forum editor doesn't show the full URL, I'll do it another way.

Article 1
Article 2

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depends on who is driving. I got pulled in by DOT for a random Level 1 inspection. I had just over 100k miles on my truck at the time. Afterward he told me I passed 100% but wanted to know why I already had new brakes on it since it's usually far beyond that before replacing them. I told him they weren't new. He argued they were and had to be. I told him I bought the truck new from the dealer and they were original. I just knew how to drive properly. With a 3 stage engine brake and following about 10 seconds behind the next vehicle I pretty much never used the brakes except to come to a complete stop and when maneuvering in docks etc., all practically zero wear usage. So, I anticipate getting over 100k from my RAV brakes. It varies GREATLY depending on driving style and terrain.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is a very enjoyable subject for me. Across 5 vehicles and approximately 500,000 miles of driving, I've only had one time where I did brake service due to pulsating brakes. It leads me to ponder why my experiences are so consistently different. Fun to think about.

I subscribe to the "even deposit of brake pad material on the rotor" theory as well. It's typically what I do when I install new brake pads. I'm a pretty genteel driver as well, which probably helps.

Bedding In Brake Rotors

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully, with RAV4 Hybrid, I will never need to replace the brake pads. :)
My wife's RAV4 Hybrid just had it's 30,000 mile service and they told me the pads are 90% worn! I can't believe they have worn that fast. We are the second owners, only had the car for about 8,000 miles, so we don't know how badly it was being driven by the previous owners, but I am still quite shocked that the brake pads have worn so quickly. Pretty disappointed. Hope you have better luck with yours!

Does anyone else have experience of the hybrid RAV4 brake pads wearing this quickly?

·
Registered
608 Posts
My wife's RAV4 Hybrid just had it's 30,000 mile service and they told me the pads are 90% worn! I can't believe they have worn that fast. We are the second owners, only had the car for about 8,000 miles, so we don't know how badly it was being driven by the previous owners, but I am still quite shocked that the brake pads have worn so quickly. Pretty disappointed. Hope you have better luck with yours!

Does anyone else have experience of the hybrid RAV4 brake pads wearing this quickly?
The previous user might have a lead foot and stop on a dime. Perhaps the reason the person sold the RAV4H... not getting the rated MPG due to improper driving... Did you measure the brake pad to validate? Could just be the service department trying to scam for unnecessary service - happens all the time! One Bolt EV owner went to Chevy for routine maintenance and was told the brakes needs to be changes... 2nd opinion, no it does not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking the same, either the previous owners were terrible drivers, or Toyota is trying to scam me.

I do seem to recall when we first picked up the car from the dealership, the trip computer was showing fairly low MPG, so maybe the previous owner was just a terrible driver.

I will definitely try to check the pads myself, or get a second opinion before I go back to Toyota for any work to be done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking the same, either the previous owners were terrible drivers, or Toyota is trying to scam me.

I do seem to recall when we first picked up the car from the dealership, the trip computer was showing fairly low MPG, so maybe the previous owner was just a terrible driver.

I will definitely try to check the pads myself, or get a second opinion before I go back to Toyota for any work to be done.
Good plan. Keep us posted on developments.

Good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess it would all depend on how conservatively you are braking. Scotty has great things to say about Akebono brake pads. Has anyone tried those out?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Old thread, but to answer the original question... I traded in my '15 Limited at just over 90,000 miles, (145Km), and it was still on the original pads, (vehicle purchased new). They were about ready to be replaced. As mentioned, anticipate slowing down/stopping and no hard braking and the pads will last for a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am hard on the brakes and drive in mountainous terrain all the time.

After 400k miles in two different RAV4, I average about 40k front, 80-90k rear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts