Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a used 2014 RAV4 LE which has a red button on the key labeled "HOLD". (See attached picture). When I press it for a few seconds the horn starts beeping continuously in the same manner that many car alarms do. But this car does not have an alarm system. And pressing the "HOLD" button again does not turn the horn off. Only locking/unlocking/locking/ ... the car seems to stop the horn. What is the purpose of this "HOLD" button? Is it to alert others if being attacked? What is the correct way to shut off the horn?

(I didn't see any discussion at all of the "HOLD" button in the 1000-page owner's manual.)

Wood Font Cable Hardwood Composite material

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
It’s a panic button. If you’re in danger or need assistance, the idea is that the panic feature will draw attention to you.

Likely not much good since most people tend to ignore an alarm these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BarnRat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Is there a proper way to turn it off? The only way I've found so far is to lock/unlock/lock/unlock the door(s). . . keep doping this till the horn stops..

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Thank you. Is there a proper way to turn it off? The only way I've found so far is to lock/unlock/lock/unlock the door(s). . . keep doping this till the horn stops..
Check your batteries in the remotes. In my case when I accidentally set it off in my pocket, once on the unlock is enough. Weaker batteries will of course not work as well.

You can also hold the remote/key to your chin and look at the vehicle. Sounds strange but it absolutely works and increases the range of your remote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I am replacing the CR2016 batteries in both key fobs right now.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,992 Posts
You were right. One press of "unlock" is enough. Thanks.
I found this alarm annoying so I turned it off with Techstream. Every time I would bend down to pull a weed or pick up a piece of trash, the button would get pressed in my pocket. I think some models allow you to turn this feature off in the touchscreen settings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found this alarm annoying so I turned it off with Techstream. Every time I would bend down to pull a weed or pick up a piece of trash, the button would get pressed in my pocket. I think some models allow you to turn this feature off in the touchscreen settings.
Thank you. I'll check into that. (But I didn't see any discussion at all of the "HOLD" button in the 1000-page owner's manual.)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have used the horn button a couple of times when trying to find the vehicle in a packed parking lot, yes you could be murdered before anyone paid attention to you pressing the alarm. Once I caught a dog just about to take a leak on my clean new wheel quick burst on the alarm button he moved on.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I have used the horn button a couple of times when trying to find the vehicle in a packed parking lot, yes you could be murdered before anyone paid attention to you pressing the alarm. Once I caught a dog just about to take a leak on my clean new wheel quick burst on the alarm button he moved on.
With my 2012 I don’t usually have much trouble finding it in a lot, but with later 4.4 models it could be the case. Besides, I just always take the one that beeps! Lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A good suggestion. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts