Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing this in photos when searching for accessories online. Some kind of integrated storage area in the cargo area? Anyone know what it is? Can you buy them? I can't find any mention of them online. Perhaps it is for other countries?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Yes, it's for Europe and other regions.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I keep seeing this in photos when searching for accessories online. Some kind of integrated storage area in the cargo area? Anyone know what it is? Can you buy them? I can't find any mention of them online. Perhaps it is for other countries?
Woah! do want!

Seriously though... I've thought about building or otherwise creating a "drawer" style compartment for the rear cargo area. The Nissan Rogue we were looking at had something like this built in too. In fact, the cargo configurations in the Rogue were really appealing.

I wonder if you could order this part somehow?

hmmm....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I would love one in my car. More searching and I came across this accessory guide for Europe. So many more choices of add-on's there. Though it makes me think that those listing on Ebay for OEM items I don't see in the states may really be OEM.

·
Registered
379 Posts
While I love the idea of a full size spare, cargo capacity was one of the reasons I went with the Rav4 over it's competition, among other things. That little addition would take a noticeable bite out of the cargo space.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Woah! do want!
It significantly reduces available cargo space. It only makes sense if you off-road and really need a full-size spare tire. Otherwise, you are better of with a compact spare and flat cargo floor. It not only gives you more space for your cargo, having the floor 4" lower makes loading heavy objects much easier. You don't appreciate how much difference a lower cargo floor makes until you have to load a few heavy suitcases. I think this is one of best features of the new RAV - the bumper / cargo floor height is significantly lower than any competitor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It significantly reduces available cargo space. It only makes sense if you off-road and really need a full-size spare tire. Otherwise, you are better of with a compact spare and flat cargo floor. It not only gives you more space for your cargo, having the floor 4" lower makes loading heavy objects much easier. You don't appreciate how much difference a lower cargo floor makes until you have to load a few heavy suitcases. I think this is one of best features of the new RAV - the bumper / cargo floor height is significantly lower than any competitor.
I was thinking about it from a perspective that I would NOT put a spare in there but use it for other stuff. It still provides a floor so my dog could ride on top wile having more space below it. I guess it depends what it looks like inside.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. I feel the same way. I often have things back there that get in the way and would love a space to put the small things so I can stack a couple of feed bags on top. Or tuck more valuable things out of the way. If it was removeable I could take it for when I need to haul a larger load.

I was thinking about it from a perspective that I would NOT put a spare in there but use it for other stuff. It still provides a floor so my dog could ride on top wile having more space below it. I guess it depends what it looks like inside.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yeah. I feel the same way. I often have things back there that get in the way and would love a space to put the small things so I can stack a couple of feed bags on top. Or tuck more valuable things out of the way. If it was removeable I could take it for when I need to haul a larger load.
Exactly. We have some "space saver" type bags that my wife currently uses to store clothing in. They're not the vacuum kind, more the kind of bags you may get a bedding set in (that's probably what they're from). I always envision having a drawer type thing back there and using one of those bags to pack our clothes in then throwing it in the drawer. The dog can ride on the top. That would save us from having to put the cargo box on top for long-weekend trips to see our parents and such.

I'm all for cargo volume, don't get me wrong -- but vertical volume doesn't do a lot for me without something like this. I don't haul tall things very often. I'd much rather have a shelf or drawer in the back to better utilize the cargo volume.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I feel the same way. I often have things back there that get in the way and would love a space to put the small things so I can stack a couple of feed bags on top, or tuck more valuable things out of the way. If it was removable I could take it out for when I need to haul a larger load.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I believe you can put a full size wheel in the rear well without raising the deck. Just take out the spacer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe you can put a full size wheel in the rear well without raising the deck. Just take out the spacer.
It would be interesting to find out. One of my biggest complaints about the compact spares is that generally, there's not enough room to hold the full size tire after changing out the flat. Most of the time, that's not a problem but I've been on trips in my previous cars (haven't made one in the Rav4 yet) where I had the car loaded up enough that I wouldn't have had space to carry the full size tire after changing it out.

I might take the time at some point to pull a tire and see if I can get it in the well but probably not in the next couple of days.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It would be interesting to find out. One of my biggest complaints about the compact spares is that generally, there's not enough room to hold the full size tire after changing out the flat. Most of the time, that's not a problem but I've been on trips in my previous cars (haven't made one in the Rav4 yet) where I had the car loaded up enough that I wouldn't have had space to carry the full size tire after changing it out.

I might take the time at some point to pull a tire and see if I can get it in the well but probably not in the next couple of days.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Would be really interesting to find out! Please post back if you do try it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly. We have some "space saver" type bags that my wife currently uses to store clothing in. They're not the vacuum kind, more the kind of bags you may get a bedding set in (that's probably what they're from). I always envision having a drawer type thing back there and using one of those bags to pack our clothes in then throwing it in the drawer. The dog can ride on the top. That would save us from having to put the cargo box on top for long-weekend trips to see our parents and such.

I'm all for cargo volume, don't get me wrong -- but vertical volume doesn't do a lot for me without something like this. I don't haul tall things very often. I'd much rather have a shelf or drawer in the back to better utilize the cargo volume.
You could always invest in something like this if you want drawers at the back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would be really interesting to find out! Please post back if you do try it out.
A full size spare fits into the wheel well BUT at the end nearest the rear seats it sticks out by approx 3 inch hence the need for a raised boot floor

In the UK RAVs now come with the space saver . Just bought another full size wheel as always been concerned about the speed restictions when using the space saver especially on a long journey.

Also quoted in manual

■ When the compact spare tire is attached (if equipped)
The vehicle speed may not be correctly detected, and the following systems may not operate correctly:
• ABS & Brake assist
• VSC
• TRAC
• Cruise control
• EPS
• LDA (Lane Departure Alert) (if
equipped)
• Rear view monitor system (if equipped)
• Intuitive parking assist (if equipped)
• Navigation system (if equipped)
Also, not only can the following system not be utilized fully, it may actually negatively effect the drive-train components:
• Dynamic Torque Control AWD system (AWD models)

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you google "SUV Cargo Drawer" you'll get a bunch of info. I don't think anything has been made for the Rav4 yet. I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY?

It appears you can buy a generic one that may fit but I'd rather it be custom-made to the Rav so my dog can eaisly sit up top.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts