Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to identify this grey sensor and find out why it seems to have oil on it. I'm worried it could lead to something bad if it really goes.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
It would help if we knew what year, model, engine and mileage we're looking at.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
According to your profile and pic the vehicle is a 4.3 RAV with a 4 cyl. engine. Whatever is on the item enquired about appears to also be on the surrounding area and preliminarily appears to be oil. It could be coming from something under the plastic shield, but it doesn't appear to be severe. Suggest wiping the substance off where that is possible and checking to see whether it returns and how much there is. Is the engine oil level OK? Also it would help if Dr. Dyno's query about the vehicle mileage were answered.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
It looks like clean oil to me. Probably spilled there when someone was pouring oil into the engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it's a Oil Pressure Sensor and it's been leaking for almost a year. $90 part from the dealership who had one in stock and was a 5 minute drive from work. Took a minute to change out and afterwords I degreased the whole engine and clean up the bay to look brand new.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Glad to hear you got it taken care of! What did you use to degrease and clean the engine bay? I need to do that myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear you got it taken care of! What did you use to degrease and clean the engine bay? I need to do that myself.
It was a product called "Super Clean" in a big Purple spray bottle. Didn't leave any nasty smell and says it's biodegradable. Covered up my alternator and MAF sensor with tin foil, sprayed Super Clean like it was an Olympic sport , scrubbed the engine with a soft brush and used the car wash pressure sprayer to rinse.

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It was a product called "Super Clean" in a big Purple spray bottle. Didn't leave any nasty smell and says it's biodegradable. Covered up my alternator and MAF sensor with tin foil, sprayed Super Clean like it was an Olympic sport , scrubbed the engine with a soft brush and used the car wash pressure sprayer to rinse.
Sounds like it came out good, only I would think using foil around electrical components might not be a good idea. I would suggest to others to use plastic bags to cover them.:serious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts