Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What on earth is this thing hanging underthe prop shaft. Its like a metal box with a rubber cube in it. 2 of the bolts on mine have shorn off! Only one holding it on and its rattling like a F****r :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this little black box in on the bottom right of the item here. IT might be some kind of damper for the transfer box.

Also no, this is a 2002 2.0L D4D GX european

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
this little black box in on the bottom right of the item here. IT might be some kind of damper for the transfer box.

Also no, this is a 2002 2.0L D4D GX european

cheers

Do you have any other pictures from different angles? I want to replace the seal of the propeller shaft and I am wondering where is the plug to fill the oil and if gear box and transfer box are separate (it seems like they are).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Is this a 4WD converted to 2WD by any chance?
Where is the propeller shaft/drive shaft in this pic?
I think it is right there, the unsealed prop shaft link. The question is, Where is the rest of the prop shaft?
Does seem to be converted. Crudely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any other pictures from different angles? I want to replace the seal of the propeller shaft and I am wondering where is the plug to fill the oil and if gear box and transfer box are separate (it seems like they are).
Hi, the transfer box is separate. The gearbox oil also covers the front diff.

So when you change fluids you will need to do;

• Gearbox (includes front diff)
  • Transfer case
  • Rear diff
  • And of course engine oil
You can see the fill plug in that photo, it is blue & white. The drain is located (from memory) towards the lower right as you look at that photo. I think you can just make it out. All pretty straightforward, but for filling (transfer case particularly) you really need some sort of cheap fluid transfer pump with a hose.

Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts