Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love salads. I eat a lot of healthy food like rice, beans, chicken [broiled, no skin] BTW, all the meat that I eat is broil

When I go shopping with my wife and son we always read the labels. You'd be surprised of what the little writing says. Sometimes even the contrary to what is in the front label. Red meat, yea, but I have to take the most fat free cuts, or at least 90% lean.

Fast foods, yep. but some might say, Wrong. not so fast. Some fast foods franchises have learned that American eat more healthy then before. In the sixties when McDonald's, BK, KFC, Jack in the Box, etc. franchising was booming. Feeding fatty foods to millions of Americans.

Today, even schools are trimming the fat. BTW, the other day that I got a speeding ticket. The meeting that I was in was a proposal to stop serving pizza, burgers, an other fatty food to students. They even want to take out the pop machines out of the schools. Substituting them with water, low sugar juices and sport drinks [but sports drinks have a lot of sugar and salt anyway] :roll:

OK, the question of the day.

Which is your best fast foods restaurant?

In my case, I would have to say TOPS, in Pasadena CA. One piece of advice if you ever go. Don't ask for anything Big. Ask for everything small. The Chili Fried with Cheese [small] is about a size 8 shoe box. Pastrami [for the New yorkers] is with Swiss Cheese, on Jewish Rye, with Mustard and Pickles. Aha, you have to eat it with a fork and knife.

I also love Jack in the Box Cheese steak. For you guys from Minnesota, they don't dip them in oil [Yucky]

T

·
0 Posts
Fav fast food hmmm I hate anything like McDees, KFC,B/King etc

my favourite take aways would have to be ...
Peak Pizza Gourmet...Chicken, Camembert, Cranberry Sauce!
then good ol' Fish n Chips :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Great topic FOOD :D
I am a food and wine fanatic.
I treat my kitchen and appliances as I do my RAV4.
But I eat little fast food.
I spend around 2to3 hours a day cooking everything from scratch always trying to perfect a dish, make it healthy and then keep it consistent.
When I lived in southern Italy I had friends with restaurants and I enjoyed chatting with them or there moms in the kitchens.
I was very fortunate to have a Grandma and 2 aunts make me anything I wanted every day. To add to that my Godfathers daughters worked in the kitchens of 4-5 star restaurants so we would get some out of the region recipes.
People think I love to cook but I tell them if I had my Aunts in Canada I would be sitting on a couch. :wink:

This link shows some desserts I make a few times a year.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tor-sale/food/food.htm

As for my main dishes most are traditional Italian.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If only, some day we can all get together and enjoy all our cool conversations and meet each other. Oh, and have a piece of cake that is on your web site mionea67. My son loved the way they looked. And if they taste as well as they look, we can make a franchise and go into business. The restaurant will have all of ur favorite foods, and a dealer selling RAV4's. :wink:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Where is the icon that drools????? Can we get one of those Kelly?Wow, those desserts look scrumptious.

My favorite food would have to be spaghetti. Just can't get enough of it. I also love seafood (no fish though), pizza, oh hell... I just love food. :lol: I try not to eat much fast food, because I know it is so horribly bad for you. My only problem is I don't know how to cook worth a sh*t. And my 2 kids know it too. :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My cakes have about ½ regular sugar content of a normal cake. The reason is the fresh sweet fruit. They taiste really light too. No butter/ oil added. The only issue is the Whipping cream at 32 percent fat. I don’t like substitutes. I wanted to try a 1% gelato ice cream but I need an expensive machine.

As for restaurant, well they are a full time commitment and too much pressure. People want things fast, fast and I just want it excellent and healthy and cost is not really an issue. So I would rather make a cookbook one day.

Dnylrq here is a dish you should like. Clams with fine spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce. This dish uses tomatoes which i grind and put in the freezer.
Below is one of my favorites. Niochi with Vegetable tomato sauce. It is made with potato but I have managed to do it with yams. You can even put spinach inside. Yams are much more nutritious but both unfortunately contain to much starch, which quickly converts into insulin in our bodies so I will make this only once a month.
My Mom who was a good cook used to make them wrong and i did too but after reasurching the web i found the error and then perfected it. So they are light and chewy. mmmmm
Cheers,
Walt

:D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Not much into fast food, however, I do like the Chicken Jalapeno sandwich from Carl's Jr. It's a chicken breast (not flaked and formed mystery meat) with mayo, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and lots of jalapenos :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
dnylrq said:
Where is the icon that drools????? Can we get one of those Kelly?Wow, those desserts look scrumptious.
Here ya go.........

BTW, my fav is home made eggplant parmigiano w/ a side of angel air pasta in a meat sauce and a tossed Caesar salad, and drowned with some nice vintage Chianti

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
OC, one of my tops too. Here's a pic for your replay :D

I personally couldn't say just one dish. :roll:
It's like Captain Kirk asking the Evil computer
"What is your Favorite food"?
Computer say's "cannot compute""illogical""help me"

and smokes up :lol: :lol:

My Favorites are those in which I could Burst my Stomach,
and unknowingly drink so much wine because your taste buds are in Extacy.

Thus they would be Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken & Potato's Rustic, Stuffed Eggplant, Scampi & Muscles (from South Italy), Fresh Ricotta or in Ravioli, Lasagna and lastly Baby Back Ribs...

Walt :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
LdyDee said:
Not much into fast food, however, I do like the Chicken Jalapeno sandwich from Carl's Jr. It's a chicken breast (not flaked and formed mystery meat) with mayo, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and lots of jalapenos :)
that sounds good but i don't think we have that restaurant up here.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
waltrav said:
OC, one of my tops too. Here's a pic for your replay :D

I personally couldn't say just one dish. :roll:
It's like Captain Kirk asking the Evil computer
"What is your Favorite food"?
Computer say's "cannot compute""illogical""help me"

and smokes up :lol: :lol:

My Favorites are those in which I could Burst my Stomach,
and unknowingly drink so much wine because your taste buds are in Extacy.

Thus they would be Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken & Potato's Rustic, Stuffed Eggplant, Scampi & Muscles (from South Italy), Fresh Ricotta or in Ravioli, Lasagna and lastly Baby Back Ribs...

Walt :D
You're makin' me hungry again, Walt!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sorry OC, but you mentioned Stuffed Eggplant first :D :p

Eggplants & Red Sheppard Peppers are in season, best tasting,
and about half price. So I am cooking them up often.
Tonight we had Stuffed Eggplant /Parmesan (no meat in sauce)
& I decided to make Happy a dogie snack version which you can see without any
sauce. (no cheese, garlic, spice)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
All new things I've been trying at home recently and they've all become my favorites! I'll have to post pictures soon! They all look sooo good. Grilled chicken with spinach pesto, my new favorite: chicken sate with spicey peanut sauce... Ummm.. curried butternut squash soup, and ravioli caprese with homemade dough. Can't forget the chili! LOVE chili in the winter and fall.. That kind of spicey that tastes so good and satisfying but you're just not that excited about going #2 the next day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts