Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 2009 Limited V6. Valvoline keeps recommending the transfer case and rear diff. I don't have a ton of cash. I bought this with 97,000 miles on it. I use it for work delivering. The 100k service at Toyota is like $1,000. I don't have that kind of cash right now so what's the most critical to least critical?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
minimum I would do is change the transfer cases oil, and do a drain and refill of the transmission.

transfer cases need a 10mm hex key and a wobble extension, and costs about 10$ of gear oil.

transmission oil, is the same key key size, and is less than 4 liters of WS transmission oil (drain and refill doesn't get all the oil, but it's a lot better than nothing!

all that should be less than 50$ for any do it yourself type person, and it's pretty easy!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This is for a 2009 Limited V6. Valvoline keeps recommending the transfer case and rear diff. I don't have a ton of cash. I bought this with 97,000 miles on it. I use it for work delivering. The 100k service at Toyota is like $1,000. I don't have that kind of cash right now so what's the most critical to least critical?
Do what octane says. Otherwise it depends on what has been done in the past. Assuming of course that you change engine oil at regular intervals, the coolant should be drained-and-refilled and lower on the list would be rear diff and brake fluid. Doing that stuff regularly will at least protect the expensive bits.
By the way, I happen to be a fan of using Toyota brand fluids for the big items, but that subject has been discussed at length on here. YMMV!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So none of these are "sealed" units like on my Focus? Valvoline said I have to go to Fors for my Focus. On the Rav is changing these fluids easy? I've only ever changes the oil. One time, on an Eclipse years ago. It was a pain to do, took a lot longer than Valvoline, I got dirty, had to properly dispose of the oil and never did it again. I'm good with the electrical components on the car, radio, speakers, lights, fuses, horn, etc. Is it easier than changing the horn?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
transfer cases take about 20mins each, and about 500ml of fluid each. you can see pictures here, just undo the fill plug before the drain plug, that way if the fill is seized, you won't be stuck with a drained case that you can't refill. and get a small hand pump, or seringue to fill the cases after. I used an oil can oiler, took a lot of time to fill it, but I didn't lose a drop

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/74044-pics-transfer-case-rear-diff-showing-level-plugs.html

for the transmission, you just remove the drain plug, mesure how much you took out, and refill from the dipstick tube. took me 10 mins to do using car ramps, but you could just drive up a some 2x6s to lift up the car a bit, and instead of removing the whole plastic protection plate, I just cut a 2x2 hole in the bottom of the plate in front of the drain hole, saves a lot of time!

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Along with the above you should flush and renew the brake fluid. Since it has ABS I'm not sure if this is a do it yourself scenario. There are more obvious things like oil & filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, brakes, tires, and a great deal more. You bought a used car with high mileage so plan on some serious maintenance. You've got a few thousand miles before spark plugs are due but not that many miles. The spark plugs on the rear bank are a serious task to replace.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Along with the above you should flush and renew the brake fluid. Since it has ABS I'm not sure if this is a do it yourself scenario. There are more obvious things like oil & filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, brakes, tires, and a great deal more. You bought a used car with high mileage so plan on some serious maintenance. You've got a few thousand miles before spark plugs are due but not that many miles. The spark plugs on the rear bank are a serious task to replace.
I remember cars where they were right there where you could get them easily. Except for anyone driving a Dodge Omni. But nowadays they have them in different spots. It's a weird configuration. On my WRX I had 2 easy ones, one kind of easy one and one that just didn't make sense where they put it. Even really simple things like changing bulbs some cars make it hard. Getting to the driver side fog light bulb is harder than it should be on that Focus. I went in from the top under the headlight, but the configuration is just weird.

I think maybe these are warm weather jobs. It's currently like 25 degrees and snowing. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing this stuff myself anyway. I need to see someone do it or do it myself with their help. I'll probably just have to go to Valvoline for now to do what I can, or maybe our family mechanic. He's pretty affordable and well-reviewed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I drained the rear diff fluid from my wife's 2009 I4 AWD, it looked like mud. This was at 60K I strongly suggest doing this, and no need to use synthetic fluid, as Toyota recommends only regular fluid. I would change the cabin air filter and you should be able to do that yourself. Check the air filter (loosen the clamp at the air duct so the lid will rotate easily) and also disconnect the small vacuum hoses from the air cleaner lid so you don't break off the nipples.
The transmission fluid should be changed around this time, even though Toyota says it is lifetime fluid. Be prepared for a hit to the wallet for the fluid since it is usually about $7.00/quart

The Toyota maintenance schedule for 104K miles is pretty basic :

Replace Engine coolant
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate tires

This is correct unless previous maintenance has not been performed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts