Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Active duty Air force officer looking to buy my first car and i think i've chosen it to be a rav4 xle.

Looking at buying a used early 2019 with about 24k miles or a new 2020 ( used 2017 with 33k miles as a last resort)

It is my understanding that a tsb has fixed the lurching issue on the 2019 rav but I am wondering if there could be possible underlying damage done to the transmission from the lurching at will effect the long term life. The internet famous Scotty kilmer from youtube says its a hardware issue
( if possible can someone explain how this is supposedly a software issue and not a hardware issue or vice versa) and there seems to be multiple people talking about the awd system over heating

Or should I buy buy a new 2020 model because there doesn't seem to be any issues with the xle model. ( only a few with the hybrid battery and the drive line disconnected with higher trims)
thanks in advance

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is obviously a personal question. I am pretty handy and hence figured I would never buy a brand new car, however the first time I did I was really happy. Being the only owner is a nice feeling - everything is perfect and clean and smells new. Also you can get exactly the color and options you want - you don't need to go hunting for them. I realize this is an emotion thing not necessarily a financial smart thing, however I think if I was going to spend that much money I would just buy a new one. But that's just me.

Thank you for your service as well!

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
First off an old veteran squid salutes you for serving our country. If you can swing the brand new 2020 then go for it. That's assuming your next orders won't be to some desert country. If you are reasonably sure of your future duty assignment then get the new one. You didn't mention if you are married or not but certainly that plays into the equation.

If you go to timbucktoo then family can still use the car if they don't go with you.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1989 Toyota Celica Convertible
18 Posts
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2019 Adventure model with under 2,000 miles back in February...yeah before the world went goofy! The beauty of this was, I got about $4,000 off the price of the new one, got every option I wanted but the JBL (actually, the midline radio is surprisingly good) and the vehicle was Certified used...so 100,000 mile warranty was included. I like Scotty Kilmer a lot, the lurching issue is not a big deal to me. The used 2018 and prior simply are not that much cheaper, and the styling of the 2019 and 2020 is far superior. Just my two cents. Thank you for your service, my dad was a WWII Army sergeant

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2019 Adventure model with under 2,000 miles back in February...yeah before the world went goofy! The beauty of this was, I got about $4,000 off the price of the new one, got every option I wanted but the JBL (actually, the midline radio is surprisingly good) and the vehicle was Certified used...so 100,000 mile warranty was included. I like Scotty Kilmer a lot, the lurching issue is not a big deal to me. The used 2018 and prior simply are not that much cheaper, and the styling of the 2019 and 2020 is far superior. Just my two cents. Thank you for your service, my dad was a WWII Army sergeant
People reported here they were getting more then $5k off msrp for new gas versions.

Does seem like $4k off for a used one is worth it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1st car! YEAY!!

Couple things to check and run numbers:
New car will have a lower interest rate, than a used car. It's not a wide difference, but long run it's can add up and equal out the lower price.
Get quotes on insurance between cars you are looking at.

Come on back for more advice. Never step foot into the dealer before the deal is done (at least we can not with the stay at home). We will prep you on the up-sell in the finance department as well, hehe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Difficult to determine if now is the best time to buy. Dealers seem to be offering financing incentives but have not seen notable markdowns in my area. Toyota production was set to resume Apr 20, not sure if it did. Meaning the dealers may not have the incentive to move inventory for new models, just offer financial incentives close to msrp.

Best time to buy may be late Summer when hopefully things will be close to normal and the '21 models will be due.

Good advice above about considering your military career in the future. Read the military is limiting transfers at present but know that will change when we regain normalcy.

But I would recommend the 2020. First year remodel (2019) of any vehicle normally has more issues. If you select preowned, recommend a Certified vehicle from a Toyota dealer.

Good luck in your choice and thanks for your service.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and significant decline in vehicle demand, Toyota will further extend the length of its production suspension at all of its automobile and components plants in North America, including Canada, Mexico and the U.S.

The manufacturing facilities will remain closed through April 17, resuming production on April 20. Our service parts depots and vehicle logistics centers will continue to operate. We will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action in a timely manner.

Toyota will further extend its production shutdown - Toyota USA Newsroom

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1989 Toyota Celica Convertible
18 Posts
People reported here they were getting more then $5k off msrp for new gas versions.

Does seem like $4k off for a used one is worth it.
My car was $31,602 with 1,823 miles on it. Adventure Edition with pretty much every option except the JBL. This is plus NJ Sales tax, Gap Insurance, and the $449 Stealership extortion doc fee. The other large dealer in South NJ actually has the gall to put $895 LoJack and $1,495 pinstripe/wheel molding/door edge guards on every car. Uh, yeah no thanks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My car was $31,602 with 1,823 miles on it. Adventure Edition with pretty much every option except the JBL. This is plus NJ Sales tax, Gap Insurance, and the $449 Stealership extortion doc fee. The other large dealer in South NJ actually has the gall to put $895 LoJack and $1,495 pinstripe/wheel molding/door edge guards on every car. Uh, yeah no thanks.
Only proves that buying a used 1 year old model is not worth $$$. You are not saving anything much and could even pay more then equivalent new since there might be some rebates and depending on your negotiation skills too. I got my last car with $4k off msrp, nothing added to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Active duty Air force officer looking to buy my first car and i think i've chosen it to be a rav4 xle.

Looking at buying a used early 2019 with about 24k miles or a new 2020 ( used 2017 with 33k miles as a last resort)

It is my understanding that a tsb has fixed the lurching issue on the 2019 rav but I am wondering if there could be possible underlying damage done to the transmission from the lurching at will effect the long term life. The internet famous Scotty kilmer from youtube says its a hardware issue
( if possible can someone explain how this is supposedly a software issue and not a hardware issue or vice versa) and there seems to be multiple people talking about the awd system over heating

Or should I buy buy a new 2020 model because there doesn't seem to be any issues with the xle model. ( only a few with the hybrid battery and the drive line disconnected with higher trims)
thanks in advance
I've got the 2020 RAV4 XLE (bought new in Dec.) and really like it with the exemption of the auto/stop/start which is easily disabled by toggling a switch on the dash close to the radio and just above the gear shift knob. I considered the hybrid model but backed away from it after reading about issues of filling the gas tank. Thanks for your service and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You didn't say what kind of price would be on the 2017. I am guessing you can save $7500-10,000 over a new one. Yea, it is gen 4, but my 2015(my third Rav) has been trouble free, no issues or complaints. I am still not a fan of the Gen 5, mostly the back contour. I would at least drive each one and decide which is the best value for you. The 17 has given up most of it's depreciation, which makes it attractive.

·
Registered
81 Posts

thanks in advance
I bought a brand new, right off the truck 2019 rav4 hybrid xse dark grey with black trim. Black interier black wheels with weather package and sunroof. I dont even have 1,000 miles on it yet. I am retired and alone woman age 68. I traded my camry in for it. I love my car.. Had zero problems with it. I love toyotas. All i use it for is to get grocerys and go to doctor. Nicest car i have ever had..never have figured out how to us all the special buttons but love the heated seat and heated steering wheel. I have been thinking of selling it and getting a small used car that is cheap. I pay a lot for car insurance on the rav 4.. I am in kansas city and i bought when 2019 model first came out. They couldnt keep any in stock but i happened to be there when 2 came in so i grabbed it without thinking it through. I paid cash.

thanks in advance
I am thinking about selling my brand new 2019 rav4 Hybrid xse only 850
miles..sunroof and weather package. Dark grey with black trim black wheels. If you want to talk let me know. Kansas city older lady paid cash..its in perfect condition..i love this car and have had no problems with it. Penney
Penney email me at. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks in advance
Have a RAV4, XLE for 8 months. Had to get a used one due to a red light runner here in Tampa, FL. Had always driven Nissan Xterras. I am amazed at the handling, eficiency and fuel economy of my 2016,Toyota. Very pleased with it. The best to your choice.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD | 2.5L l4 6sp AT Sport.
8 Posts

thanks in advance
I bought a 2015 RAV4 LE with low miles [23K] in 2017. I really loved it because it has all the features I needed especially the backup camera and All Wheel Drive [AWD]. I just traded it in for a 2018 RAV4 XLE, which it has even more safety features and for outdoor adventures. These little SUVs are very reliable cars with low maintenance costs, so I like to buy them used. The choice is yours. You can buy a slightly used like mine or go ahead for a brand new 2020! Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
17 Posts

thanks in advance
I bought the 2020 xle model about a month ago and it's the best vehicle ihave owned

1 - 17 of 17 Posts