Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Helmholtz chamber, not always for just sound damping some have a benefiting effect (most intakes are tuned) the one on the MK1 is massive!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Toyota non turbo engines are pretty awesome they create fair power from small capacity and that is due in some part to having tuned exhausts and intakes to add a bit extra in one area of the rev band or if possible right the way through, chambers like these are part of that, amazing how much effort go's into something that seems so simple.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Toyota non turbo engines are pretty awesome they create fair power from small capacity and that is due in some part to having tuned exhausts and intakes to add a bit extra in one area of the rev band or if possible right the way through, chambers like these are part of that, amazing how much effort go's into something that seems so simple.
The Camry would like a word with you, especially the V6's. From 1992 to 1996 Toyota purposefully tuned the engine to run rich so it wouldn't have as much power (Actually easy to fix to go from 160hp to closer to 190hp) with the 3vz motor. The 1996-2001 Camry V6 powered by the 1mz had exhaust that was designed to backflow to reduce noise at the cost of performance. The rear manifold connects to the Y pipe and actually goes toward the front manifolds connection causing scavenging. Changing the Y pipe and headers is one of the few times that it actually increases HP, dyno proven too.

Then you have things like the 1zz in the Corolla. When the Corolla got the VVTI version Toyota decided to detune it via ECU so it wouldn't compete with the 1zz in the Celica. Just swapping ECU actually makes you go from 125hp to 140hp. Then oddly you have the 1zzfed which was in the MR2 Spyder and rated for 138hp instead... for some reason.

In other words, Toyota tunes things oddly. And with a lot of their vehicles they tune them more for sound deadening than power. A final example of this is the butterfly valve in the 2000-2005 1zz powered Celicas. It's purpose is to slightly reduce the amount of air the engine breathes to make it not woosh. Removing it actually nets better throttle response, faster revs, and slightly better acceleration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sure my Camry FE engine felt soft the Rav4 FE engine sporty but I would not say over all development tuning was to hold a model back I think over all the opposite, its not just Toyota I have a Porsche they did a restrictive air box for my model but the rest of the intake is well balanced so they do it too!

·
Registered
48 Posts
All modern cars have resonator air boxes...
They are not that miraculous. There are also other intake systems that are used in modern cars - air duct intake runners for example.
Clever thou, did cover this at college, still find interesting the depth of thought that go's into basically tubing!
Ho just a foot note for anyone reading this look up helmholtz resonators in induction systems in NA engines they can have an effect not just for sound!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts