Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

What,s the difference between a 4.2 & a4.2 facelift ?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Manxrav 
#1 ·
Hi Clare here, need a bit of advice on the above topic. I,m trying to coax my Dad in to trading our Rav4.1 for a 4.2. Can someone tell me what upgrades Toyota did on the Facelift 4.2 that are different to the original 4.2. He really fancies a 5 door 4.2 D4D and would welcome any advice on what to look for on this model in particular.
Clare

#2 ·
As you mention facelift, I assume you are asking about the exterior stuff. The main difference is:

1) front bumper. Foglights look different.
2) rear lights do not have orange in them.
3) the sports version came out after 2003 i believe. that has a hoodscoop and chrome roof rack.
4) increase in 12 horsepower.

#4 ·
Here are some of the changes from 4.2 to 4.2.5:

1) different head lights
2) different tail lights
3) different dashboard centre stack
4) bigger engine (2.4L I4 petrol engine)
5) different alloy wheel design
6) side air bags, stability and traction control (depending on your location and what model you're looking at)

#5 ·
Hi Clare,

The common term for facelift in this case would be restyling (minor) and I believe that most of the changes where mentioned above.

The 3 things that really interest me are the 2.4 Petrol Engine, S & Traction control and I would say most importantly are those side are bags for safety.

Walt :D

#6 ·
Hi Clare
Just to add some confusion........the changes weren't the same for all models and all countries.......but you've been on here long enough to already know this......
I went from a '98 RAV to a '05 Chili (Cdn model similar to, but not exactly the same as the US Sport) and a lot of the 4.2.5 changes weren't included........but the styling changes (facelift) were... :wink:
......and I don't know what would be the equivalent model in the UK?

BTW......get any snow in your area??? :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.