Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2009 Blizzard Pearl (White) Rav4, and the hood is really messed up. The paint is coming off, its turning to gray and yellow. Then the left side Fender, its starting to peel off also, peeling the white paint to a gray color. I have pictures also to show. My question is, to fix it for $1200+ or buy a hood for $200 and repaint to white for $500 or buy a used white hood for $300+ and risk it by either turning in to like mine or not. The images below will show what I'm talking about. And any of you guys have this problem aswell?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow. Anyidea what caused this?

My wife has a civic which has the paint clear coat issue. We had most of thr car repainted under warrenty. But the parts that we not repainted are now having the same problem.

Have you contacted toyota with pictures? Open a case with head office and see if you get anywhere. This is surely not normal and hopefully they will cover it, like honda did for parts of my wifes car.

Good luck. Hopefully toyota comes through for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Anyidea what caused this?

My wife has a civic which has the paint clear coat issue. We had most of thr car repainted under warrenty. But the parts that we not repainted are now having the same problem.

Have you contacted toyota with pictures? Open a case with head office and see if you get anywhere. This is surely not normal and hopefully they will cover it, like honda did for parts of my wifes car.

Good luck. Hopefully toyota comes through for you.
Toyota and Local Dealerships says Rocks hits the hood which causes the paint to chip, while other says corrosion, like the weather changes, and it affects the hood. I don't think Toyota will cover it since iTs 2009 and at least has 100K miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wow...

Toyota and Local Dealerships says Rocks hits the hood which causes the paint to chip, while other says corrosion, like the weather changes, and it affects the hood. I don't think Toyota will cover it since iTs 2009 and at least has 100K miles.

Rock damage is a point of impact type of damage. What is shown in your pics is CLEARLY not that. Not sure if this is sun damage or what but it is NOT rock damage of any kind. If they are giving you this line, it's unlikely that they will cover the cost of repairing this.

I had a similar problem on the hood, bed cover, and cab top of my 1996 Dodge 1500. It's a yard, home project, garden, and dump-run vehicle so I did not want to spend a lot to make it look better. I ended up sanding the affected areas and then using Plasti-dip from a rattle can. It's flat black and looks good with the red and black paint scheme. Total cost was about $70 and 5-6 hours of my time, so not at all bad. While the Plasti-dip worked pretty well, getting the spray can to deliver a clean even mist was difficult at times because the material coming out of the can would spatter larger drops occasionally. I shook the can a lot, so had it well mixed before starting to spray and throughout the spraying. I also used one of those trigger-handles to activate the nozzle when spraying. By using a small artists' paint brush, I was able to smooth out any bubbles and then re-coat that area a little to make them completely disappear.

For a better look, you could sand the affected areas smooth, wipe them down with a damp cloth, and then apply or have one of those vinyl wraps applied to them. These look pretty good and supposedly last for 5-7 years (longer if parked out of the sun or used in a less sunny climate). There are You Tube videos that show this being done and the final result.

I agree that painting the affected parts will look best / cost the most but it's likely that the so-far unaffected parts will go the same way at some point. For the best and longest lasting fix, a complete car repaint might be needed. This seems a viable solution IF you plan to keep this car for several more years. If not then a cheaper solution seems needed.

Best of luck with this. Paint issues can be difficult and expensive to resolve. :frown

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
As RAVN4RED noted this problem has been reported previously and it appears to affect especially white paint. My comment from the thread at RAVN4RED's post:

"Interesting that all of this thread's pics show peeling white paint. I've seen that problem with lots of older GM cars as well as some vehilces from Chrysler - almost always with white paint. Has anyone who has a different colored RAV had this problem? What is shown in the pics is clearly peeling paint, not the result of impact damage."

A repaint/respray obviously is needed. Hopefully Toyota will foot the bill even though this is an older vehicle since the problem clearly is due to a defect.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I didn't know Blizzard Pearl was available on the Sport models. I thought it was only available on the Limiteds, thus leaving "Super White" for the Base and Sport models.

If that's the case, maybe it was a custom paint job?

·
Registered
158 Posts
When we bought our RAV4, I passed on a local white Rav4 Limited because it looked repainted, thinking that maybe it had been in an accident... now I see that the issue is more related to something that happened at the factory with bad white paint mix.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the pointer

Other Blizzard White paint problems have been reported here. The OP in this thread was able to get a new paint job even though out of warranty. It did take a battle, though, and ultimately it seems you need a good dealership to step up. Read through this:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/146098-paint-chipping-rav4-2010-v6.html

His was a pretty obvious paint cohesion issue.

Thanks for the reference to previous posts on this issue. I read through them and could not believe the song and dance the Toyota Rep went through about "impact" after looking at a customer's paint issue with a magnifying glass. Clearly, this is a catch-all category that allows them to escape their responsibility for manufacturing defects. When she said that, the customer should have said, "Well, I sure hope that you can prove that in court because that's the next step in this fiasco"... or something similar to that. It should not be difficult to come up with all kinds of corroborating testimony from local auto paint experts to refute such a claim on Toyota's part.

It was great that the service manager in the above case was willing to step up and stand behind the product like he did. Something like that would convince me to buy all of my vehicles from that dealership and to recommend them to everyone I know.

I am concerned about such issues occurring to my recently purchased 2012 RAV4. It looks terrific and drives like a new car but it never hurts to keep our eyes open for potential problems. I'm hoping that either the Sand Beige paint on my RAV is not susceptible to these problems or that frequent waxing with a high quality wax will either delay or eliminate this possible problem.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
have a 2009 Blizzard Pearl (White) Rav4, and the hood is really messed up. The paint is coming off, its turning to gray and yellow. Then the left side Fender, its starting to peel off also, peeling the white paint to a gray color.
I'm no expert, but here is what I see by examining your photos:

1. That's not Blizzard Pearl, it's Super White. Blizzard Pearl has a "pearlescent" look to it, and was only available on the Limited.

2. It appears that the passenger side fender is a different color than the hood.

3. The hood is not sitting flush over by the grill/headlight on the passenger side.

4. My guess is that there was some damage, and the hood and driver's side fender were replaced or maybe re-painted.

Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
it's a repaint, just by seeing the white circles, looks like body filler, how does the inside of the hood look? any dents?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Did you drive through an acid bath or fire. The easiest thing to do is an insurance claim and see what happens. This would be a not fault claim so no points against you just deductible. We recently did this for our RAV and got the hood and fenders done for $500.

If you don't really care about how perfect the paint comes out you can try to paint yourself with a rattle can. Several companies on the web will put "factory" paint into a spray can. Prep, paint, sand paint and clear coat. I recently did this to my cars bumper. It was silver too which is a difficult color to paint. Turned out OK. No one can notice the flaws except for me. Well worth my time and the $50 worth of paint. I do have quite a bit of experience with a rattle can though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts