Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new Rav 4 Limited. I am looking at one in Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Tech Package and a few accessories. The list is $36,257 with Delivery, Processing and Handling fee, but without tax, and tags.

Right now dealers in my area are offering 60 mo. zero financing. What is the best deal you think I can get in Central PA? I'm a pretty good negotiator but as a woman, it takes a lot longer to get a good deal. I'll travel to get the best deal possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
When I've negotiated with Toyota dealers a financing package at 0% has meant that very little or no further discounts will be offered as the zero percent interest rate comes partially from dealer participation. Dealers may discount options which they install, but zero or rather close to zero on the vehicle itself. However, that's only my experience. Other buyers may have had different results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I've negotiated with Toyota dealers a financing package at 0% has meant that very little or no further discounts will be offered as the zero percent interest rate comes partially from dealer participation. Dealers may discount options which they install, but zero or rather close to zero on the vehicle itself. However, that's only my experience. Other buyers may have had different results.
Lets hope you are wrong otherwise I'll wait. I should be able to get 10-12% off of MSRP. If I had to pay interest, it would be about 2.99% or maybe even less and I'm not financing that much. So paying too much for the car initially would not be a good thing.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Lets hope you are wrong otherwise I'll wait. I should be able to get 10-12% off of MSRP. If I had to pay interest, it would be about 2.99% or maybe even less and I'm not financing that much. So paying too much for the car initially would not be a good thing.

If you're not financing the entire purchase price then you should be able to get a much better deal. When I bought my RAV I checked area dealers via the internet and asked for their best internet price upfront and specified exactly what I wanted. The deal which I decided on was at a good discount and the dealer sourced the exact vehicle which I wanted since he didn't have it in stock. As part of the deal he installed several options at his cost and at a discounted labor rate. But I did not have anything financed.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
On the last three 0% financing deals I've made with Toyota the only thing negotiable has been the trade in amount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took the 0% in January.

MSRP: $36492.00
Price Paid: $33701.00

I am not very good in negotiation though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So here is what I paid on Saturday:
Sticker price: $35,000
Actual sale price: $31,900 ($3,100 "discount")
0% for 48 months (with Toyota Financial)
trade-in: $1000 above top of the range range of KBB / Black Book value

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a car with a 29,250 sticker last month

I provided my own financing, took the 500 cash incentive, and got a remote starter tossed in and I paid 27 grand for it.

You can go on several websites (truecar among others) and find the invoice and similar vehicle sales.

Remember that the invoice price includes a built in profit called "hold back" .

What you are negotiating when you buy a car is the amount of profit the dealer makes Figure out what the car is worth to you and that is your offer.

The one thing people forget is that you can walk out the door

If they insult you on the trade value, or try to walk you for full list, then stick a huge "doc fee" on the deal, get up, walk out.

The minimum discount off MSRP should be 10%, and any offer should be " out the door" so they can't bang you for doc fees etc once you have decided on the car you want

Also negotiate any dealer add on items... that is where they really bend you over

and if they play games during the sale, and you do buy the car, when you get your "survey" from Toyota, anything less than perfect scores on the survey will bring attention to the sales guy and dealership. They get dinged pretty hard for negative feedback

·
Registered
258 Posts
You got a lot of good information above but you might want to go to www.truecar.com to get an idea of what they were selling for in your area. I had to go out of state to get a fair deal. Make your deal for an "out of the door" price so that they can't sneak in any extra costs at the point where you are signing the deal. On the Toyota site, they use the Kelly Blue Book for trade in prices so know what your trade-in is worth before you go to the dealership.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So here is what I have done for my last 4 car purchases (3 Toyotas and 1 KIA).

- Get quotes via TrueCar

- Go on cars.com and run a search for the vehicle you want within ~100 miles radius from your location - usually you will find that 1-2 dealers actually list the car below TrueCar quote. Call these dealers and ask them is there is a "catch" behind their numbers - things like military discounts, Uber discount, specific trade-in conditions, etc. Keep searching / calling until you find the lowest number you can actually get with your specific conditions. Usually dealers farther away from your location will give you a lower price. In my experience, the number you can get is better than TrueCar.

- If you have Costco, get a quote through them. In my experience Costco price is similar to TrueCar, but higher than doing a good search via cars.com

- get your trade-in value from KBB, Edmunds and cars.com (Black Book)

Once you have the lowest realistic quote (from TrueCar, Costco and/or cars.com), take this number to you preferred dealer and ask him if they are willing to match this price and save you a 100 miles drive to dealer X. 99% of the time they will say "Yes".

Once you have secured new car price start talking trade-in. The dealer will probably try to low-ball you on the trade-in - that's how they actually make money. Show him the numbers from KBB and Black Book and tell him that you won't accept anything less that top of the range on the higher of the two. If the dealer doesn't want to give you a fair price, walk away and go to another dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am going to buy a new Rav 4 Limited. I am looking at one in Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Tech Package and a few accessories. The list is $36,257 with Delivery, Processing and Handling fee, but without tax, and tags.

Right now dealers in my area are offering 60 mo. zero financing. What is the best deal you think I can get in Central PA? I'm a pretty good negotiator but as a woman, it takes a lot longer to get a good deal. I'll travel to get the best deal possible.

Thanks in advance.
If you haven't already, contact Fitzgerald Toyota at their Chambersburg PA location. Fitz in general provides very competitive 'no-haggle' pricing. They use to post their pricing on the website but you have to contact them now. The prices I was able to get quoted from them earlier this year for a 2016 AWD Limited was about $4k below MSRP, not including tags, taxes, dealer processing. That falls within the 10-12% you are talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts