Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Here is an update adding a few tire sizes, broke the chart up by tire size, clarified some of the tire size information.

Remember clearance issues depend on a lot of things, tired old springs, rim offset, lifts, lowering, rim spacers, brand and model of tire, and automatic or manual transmission (the automatic protrudes further into the wheel well than the manual). The 3 door may sit a little higher because it is a bit lighter than the 5 door version. The specifications reported below may vary somewhat depending on brand and model of tire, the information was gleaned from TireRack.com.

TIRE............... TIRE....... RIM WIDTH..... SECTION..... TREAD....... OVERALL....... REVOLUTIONS..... REQUIRES
SIZE............ WEIGHT......... RANGE......... WIDTH...... WIDTH...... DIAMETER......... PER MILE............. LIFT........ COMMENTS
15 Inch:
*235/75-15.... 34 lbs......... 6.5-8.0"..........9.3"........... 7.2"......... 28.9"................... 719.............. Probably.... Minor rubbing reported

16 Inch:
215/65-16...... 32 lbs......... 6.0-7.5"..........8.7"........... 7.0"......... 27.0"................... 769.................. No........ No problems reported stock
235/60-16...... 22 lbs......... 6.5-8.5"..........9.4"........... 8.0"......... 27.0"................... 769.................. No........ Optional from Toyota
205/70-16...... 23 lbs......... 5.0-7.0"..........8.2"........... 6.1"......... 27.3"................... 762.................. No........ No problems reported stock
215/70-16...... 28 lbs......... 5.5-7.0"..........8.7"........... 7.0"......... 27.9"................... 746.................. No........ Stock
225/55-18...... 26 lbs......... 6.0-8.0"..........9.1"........... 7.0"......... 27.8"................... 748.................. No........ No problems reported stock
235/65-16...... 28 lbs......... 6.5-8.5"..........9.5"........... 7.1"......... 28.0"................... 742.................. No........ No problems reported stock
225/70-16...... 27 lbs......... 6.0-7.5"..........6.5"........... 6.8"......... 28.4"................... 733.................. No........ Minor rubbing on full lockup stock
215/75-16...... 29 lbs......... 5.5-7.0"..........8.5"........... 6.2"......... 28.9"................... 719.............. Probably.... Rubbing on full lockup stock
235/70-16...... 31 lbs......... 6.0-8.0"..........9.5"........... 7.4"......... 29.0"................... 719.................. Yes....... Rubbing on full lockup stock
255/65-16...... 32 lbs......... 7.0-9.0"........10.2"........... 8.1"......... 29.1"................... 717.................. Yes....... Rubbing on full lockup stock
225/75-16...... 31 lbs......... 6.0-7.5"..........8.8"........... 7.2"......... 29.3"................... 711.................. Yes....... Rubbing stock
245/70-16...... 32 lbs......... 6.5-8.0"..........9.8"........... 7.7"......... 29.5"................... 705.................. Yes....... Rubbing stock
**235/75-16.. 34 lbs......... 6.0-7.5"..........9.3"........... 7.4"......... 29.9"................... 698.................. Yes....... Too big see note

17 Inch:
225/65-17...... 30 lbs......... 6.5-8.0"..........6.5"........... 8.9"......... 28.5"................... 728.............. Probably.... Minor rubbing on full lockup stock
245/65-17...... 33 lbs......... 7.0-8.5"..........9.8"........... 7.4"......... 29.5"................... 705.................. Yes....... Rubbing stock

18 Inch:
255/45-18...... 29 lbs......... 8.0-9.5"....... 10.0"........... 8.5"......... 27.0"................... 769.................. No........ No problems reported for stock RAV4.1s
235/50-18...... 30 lbs......... 6.5-8.5"..........9.7"........... 8.8"......... 27.2"................... 762.................. No........ No problems reported for stock or lowered RAV4.1s

Any sizes larger than 29.5" are likely to require more than a lift and spacers to work without rubbing.

Anything 28.4" and larger will likely require modifying or removing the "bump" on the front wheel wells. Tires 28.5" and larger tires will likely require a lift. Anything 29.9" and larger will require modification of the front wheel wells.

Tire weight is heavily dependent on what type of tire you are buying, generally street tires weigh less that all terrain tires, and mud tires weigh even more. You may notice that some smaller tires weigh more than larger ones, and this is because of the differences in tire types.

Keep in mind that a tire that is larger or smaller in diameter, heavier, has a wider foot print, increased traction will likely lower your fuel mileage with a stock RAV4.

* 15" rims: Several people have reported success with using 15" rims so I decided to add the information, however and this is a big however, the rims will have to be very deep with an offset around ET8 or long wheel spacers so the rim will clear the caliper. I don't know for certain because I haven't tried it, so make sure you try before you buy. Remember, the larger the offset/spacer the more wear you may be putting on other suspension components like the wheel bearings.

** 235/75-16 Firestone Destination A/T tires is what I currently have and it is just too large even with an OME lift, front 30mm strut spacers, and 25mm wheel spacers with the judicious application of an instrument of destruction (4lb sledge hammer) to the lower inner front wheel wells. Others claim to have installed this size of tire but no information as to any problems that had to be resolved.

Obviously there are many more sizes out there, keep us posted, let us know what you are running and what challenges you had to get it to work, and I'll try to keep this chart updated.

Please click thanks if you find the information useful.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Here is an update changing the chart to an easier to read format using a code box.

Remember clearance issues depend on a lot of things, load in vehicle, tired old springs, rim offset, lifts, lowering, rim spacers, brand and model of tire, and automatic or manual transmission (the automatic protrudes further into the wheel well than the manual). The 3 door may sit a little higher because it is a bit lighter than the 5 door version. The specifications reported below may vary somewhat depending on brand and model of tire, the information was gleaned from TireRack.com.

Code:
[b][font=Calibri][size=3]TIRE                  TIRE        RIM WIDTH     SECTION     TREAD     OVERALL     REVOLUTIONS    REQUIRES
SIZE                WEIGHT         RANGE        WIDTH       WIDTH    DIAMETER       PER MILE             LIFT          COMMENTS[/b]
[B]15 Inch:[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]*235/75-15     34 lbs            6.5-8.0"          9.3"            7.2"          28.9"                719                 Probably     Minor rubbing reported[/COLOR] 
[B]16 Inch:[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]215/65-16       32 lbs            6.0-7.5"          8.7"            7.0"          27.0"                769                      No           No problems reported stock[/COLOR]
235/60-16       22 lbs            6.5-8.5"          9.4"            8.0"          27.0"                769                      No           Optional from Toyota
205/70-16       23 lbs            5.0-7.0"          8.2"            6.1"          27.3"                762                      No           No problems reported stock 
[COLOR="blue"]215/70-16       28 lbs            5.5-7.0"          8.7"            7.0"          27.9"                746                      No           Stock[/COLOR]
235/65-16       28 lbs            6.5-8.5"          9.5"            7.1"          28.0"                742                      No           No problems reported stock 
225/70-16       27 lbs            6.0-7.5"          6.5"            6.8"          28.4"                733                      No           Minor rubbing on full lockup stock
[COLOR="blue"]215/75-16       29 lbs            5.5-7.0"          8.5"            6.2"          28.9"                719                  Probably     Rubbing on full lockup stock[/COLOR]
235/70-16       31 lbs            6.0-8.0"          9.5"            7.4"          29.0"                719                      Yes          Rubbing on full lockup stock]
255/65-16       32 lbs            7.0-9.0"        10.2"            8.1"          29.1"                717                      Yes          Rubbing on full lockup stock
[COLOR="blue"]225/75-16       31 lbs            6.0-7.5"          8.8"            7.2"          29.3"                711                      Yes          Rubbing stock[/COLOR]
245/70-16       32 lbs            6.5-8.0"          9.8"            7.7"          29.5"                705                      Yes          Rubbing stock
**235/75-16   34 lbs            6.0-7.5"          9.3"            7.4"          29.9"                698                      Yes          Too big see note]
[B]17 Inch:[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]225/65-17       30 lbs            6.5-8.0"          6.5"            8.9"          28.5"                728                  Probably     Minor rubbing on full lockup stock[/COLOR]
245/65-17       33 lbs            7.0-8.5"          9.8"            7.4"          29.5"                705                      Yes          Rubbing stock
[B]18 Inch:[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]255/45-18       29 lbs            8.0-9.5"        10.0"            8.5"          27.0"                769                      No           No problems reported for stock RAV4.1s[/COLOR]
235/50-18       30 lbs            6.5-8.5"          9.7"            8.8"          27.2"                762                      No           No problems reported for stock or lowered RAV4.1s
225/55-18       26 lbs            6.0-8.0"          9.1"            7.0"          27.8"                748                      No           No problems reported stock
[/font][/size]

Any sizes larger than 29.5" are likely to require more than a lift and spacers to work without rubbing.

Anything 28.4" and larger will likely require modifying or removing the "bump" on the front wheel wells. Tires 28.5" and larger tires will likely require a lift. Anything 29.9" and larger will require modification of the front wheel wells.

Tire weight is heavily dependent on what type of tire you are buying, generally street tires weigh less that all terrain tires, and mud tires weigh even more. You may notice that some smaller tires weigh more than larger ones, and this is because of the differences in tire types.

Keep in mind that a tire that is larger or smaller in diameter, heavier, has a wider foot print, increased traction will likely lower your fuel mileage with a stock RAV4.

* 15" rims: Several people have reported success with using 15" rims so I decided to add the information, however and this is a big however, the rims will have to be very deep with an offset around ET8 or long wheel spacers so the rim will clear the caliper. I don't know for certain because I haven't tried it, so make sure you try before you buy. Remember, the larger the offset/spacer the more wear you may be putting on other suspension components like the wheel bearings.

** 235/75-16 Firestone Destination A/T tires is what I currently have and it is just too large even with an OME lift, front 30mm strut spacers, and 25mm wheel spacers with the judicious application of an instrument of destruction (4lb sledge hammer) to the lower inner front wheel wells. Others claim to have installed this size of tire but no information as to any problems that had to be resolved.

Obviously there are many more sizes out there, keep us posted, let us know what you are running and what challenges you had to get it to work, and I'll try to keep this chart updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have read through all the posts and studied the table and researched tyres and I have narrowed my new tyres down to either 225/70/16 or 235/70/16.

I am running standard 235/60/16 at the moment on the standard alloy wheels and have 30mm shock spacers and 30mm wheel spacers. The car is a 1999 3dr 4wd Freesport Manual.

I notice on the table it states whether a lift is required but what is the minimum lift you have used for reference?

Should I go for 225/70/16 or 235/70/16? I am not sure it will make a whole lot of difference so would be happy to go with the smaller size if it means less weight, less drag, better fuel and only a very small decrease in height and grip?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hello TarkMalbot nice looking RAV4. I see that you have the 3 door version so be aware that it usually sits a little higher than the 5 door RAV4s because they weigh a bit less.

You are probably okay with the 29" tire with your 30mm lift you currently have. What others have done is to get a used tire and try it, then you are only out the mounting fee unless you can temporarily borrow one that is already mounted. But I think that you are probably okay. I don't know what condition your springs and other suspension components are in so I cannot say definitively what works and what doesn't. Another issue is that tire sizes vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer and sometimes between tire models so that is another unknown factor.

Unless you need the added ground clearance from a higher profile tire, I would stay with the smaller size. All the things you listed will be affected by tire type and size. If you live where you get much snow in the UK or if you like driving across some of those Scottish bogs that I've been stuck in then I would recommend trying to get a good M&S (mud & snow) rated tire. If your RAV4 lives it whole life on the pavement then stick with a good highway tire.

Highway tires generally weigh less then all terrain and off-road tires and usually will get you your best fuel mileage. They are usually far quieter as well.
All terrain (AT) tires are a compromise between highway and off-road tires. Designed for better off-road traction and durability. These tires weigh more and usually have better traction and will lower your fuel milage.

Let us know what tire you decide and post a photo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello TarkMalbot nice looking RAV4. I see that you have the 3 door version so be aware that it usually sits a little higher than the 5 door RAV4s because they weigh a bit less.

You are probably okay with the 29" tire with your 30mm lift you currently have. What others have done is to get a used tire and try it, then you are only out the mounting fee unless you can temporarily borrow one that is already mounted. But I think that you are probably okay. I don't know what condition your springs and other suspension components are in so I cannot say definitively what works and what doesn't. Another issue is that tire sizes vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer and sometimes between tire models so that is another unknown factor.

Unless you need the added ground clearance from a higher profile tire, I would stay with the smaller size. All the things you listed will be affected by tire type and size. If you live where you get much snow in the UK or if you like driving across some of those Scottish bogs that I've been stuck in then I would recommend trying to get a good M&S (mud & snow) rated tire. If your RAV4 lives it whole life on the pavement then stick with a good highway tire.

Highway tires generally weigh less then all terrain and off-road tires and usually will get you your best fuel mileage. They are usually far quieter as well.
All terrain (AT) tires are a compromise between highway and off-road tires. Designed for better off-road traction and durability. These tires weigh more and usually have better traction and will lower your fuel milage.

Let us know what tire you decide and post a photo.
Thank you for the reply. I think I have decided on the 225/70/16 as I do not need the extra 7mm of height the 235 will give and it sounds like other than wanting the looks of the bigger tyre the smaller one will actually be better for me in every way. I have road tyres on at the moment but want All Terrain mainly for the looks but also so I can do some light offroading should I wish too. I love the look of the mud tyres but can not justify them for the amount of time it will go offroad.

The vehicle only cost me £700 which is only about £125 more than what a set of 4 BF Goodrich AT tyres cost so I do not want to pay that much for tyres so I have decided that I will go for Insa Turbo Rangers and may get a 5th tyre too for the spare at a cost. Considering the speeds I go and the mileage it will do (It is a 4th Car in the household) I have no issues with running a retreaded tyre and have confidence in Insa Turbo as a company. They also have a large 14mm tread which should look good and last a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the double post but I would like to add that I used to run Nissan 350Z wheels on my RAV. They were 18"x8" ET 30 and ran 235/45/18 Dunlop winter tyres. No issues or rubbing with stock or 30mm wheel spacers. I am sure this comes as no surprise as the table already shows wider and higher profile 18" tyres fitting with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update. I went for the 225/70/16 and even with a 30mm lift and 30mm wheel spacers on a 3 Door they still scrub at the front and the rear of the wheel well when close to full lock. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
My new tires getting delivered from TireRack.com.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Update. I went for the 225/70/16 and even with a 30mm lift and 30mm wheel spacers on a 3 Door they still scrub at the front and the rear of the wheel well when close to full lock.
What is the offset on your rims? For that tire to rub that badly your offset is pretty big and/or your springs are really sagging. I have a much larger tire than yours without any rubbing at the front of the wheel well, but it was pretty bad at the back until I customized with an implement of destruction.

225-70-16....28.4" Your tire
235-75-16....29.9" My tire, too big don't get these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My rims are 7" wide ET35 which should be the same offset as standard so with 30mm spacers would make it ET5. Looking down the side of the car they do not sit out and look pretty much perfect. Maybe new front shocks and springs would help but the car handles fine at the moment so maybe look at this in the future. There is no way a bigger tyre would fit my car without serious work. It doesn;t look like its a lifted vehicle to me it just looks normal even with a 30mm lift. See attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Okay, so that narrows it down, it's not the rims or offset and looking at your RAV4 I agree that your tires look about right, so it must be the springs. Maybe they aren't sagging too badly, maybe a previous owner lowered it? I'm just trying to figure out why those tires would scrape except at the rear of the wheel well on a lockup turn. My tires are a full 1.5" larger than yours and they don't rub at all at the front of the wheel well but they did very harshly at the rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
245/70/17 on 2003 explorer wheels

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Here is an update changing the chart to an easier to read format.

Remember clearance issues depend on a lot of things, load in vehicle, tired old springs, rim offset, lifts, lowering, rim spacers, brand and model of tire, and automatic or manual transmission (the automatic protrudes further into the wheel well than the manual). The 3 door may sit a little higher because it is a bit lighter than the 5 door version. The specifications reported below may vary somewhat depending on brand and model of tire, the information was gleaned from TireRack.com.

TIRERIM WIDTHSECTIONTREADOVERALLREVOLUTIONSREQUIRES
SIZERANGEWIDTHWIDTHDIAMETERPER MILELIFTCOMMENTS
15 Inch:
235/75-156.5-8.0"9.3"7.2"28.9"719ProbablyMinor rubbing reported
16 Inch:
215/65-166.0-7.5"8.7"7.0"27.0"769NoNo problems reported stock
235/60-166.5-8.5"9.4"8"27.0"769NoOptional from Toyota
205/70-165.0-7.0"8.2"6.1"27.3"762NoNo problems reported stock
215/70-165.5-7.0"8.7"7.0"27.9"746NoStock
235/65-166.5-8.5"9.5"7.1"28.0"742NoNo problems reported stock
225/70-166.0-7.5"6.5"6.8"28.4"733NoMinor rubbing on full lockup stock
215/75-165.5-7.0"8.5"6.2"28.9"719ProbablyRubbing on full lockup stock
235/70-166.0-8.0"9.5"7.4"29.0"719YesRubbing on full lockup stock]
255/65-167.0-9.0"10.2"8.1"29.1"717YesRubbing on full lockup stock
225/75-166.0-7.5"8.8"7.2"29.3"711YesRubbing stock
245/70-166.5-8.0"9.8"7.7"29.5"705YesRubbing stock
**235/75-166.0-7.5"9.3"7.4"29.9"698YesToo big see note
17 Inch:
225/65-176.5-8.0"6.5"8.9"28.5"728ProbablyMinor rubbing on full lockup stock
245/65-177.0-8.5"9.8"7.4"29.5"705YesRubbing stock
18 Inch:
255/45-188.0-9.5"10.0"8.5"27.0"769NoNo problems reported for stock RAV4.1s
235/50-186.5-8.5"9.7"8.8"27.2"762NoNo problems reported for stock or lowered RAV4.1s
225/55-186.0-8.0"9.1"7.0"27.8"748NoNo problems reported stock

I removed the tire weights because it depends more on the type of tire than tire size.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Exclusively (happily!) in Michelins w/ Discount Tire since 1990 for all my vehicles. c. 30-Years!
My 2x4 (FWD) tires:

Michelin LTX M/S2 225-70-R16.
Installed 27NOV2015. Current tire mileage: 22,520-mi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice database guys!
Completely agree with the 225/70 R16. I habe no lift and minor scrubbing at maximum steering. In my case I use a spanish retreated pneumatics, INSA TURBO DAKAR. I'm so happy with them, they're noisy, of course (and require a big effort on balancing the rim, around 400g per rim), but awesome traction on muddy and snowy surfaces. Nowadays they already have 10.000 Km and still less than 50% wore.

Attachments

81 - 95 of 95 Posts