Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!! :D

I just want to clarify what spark plug would be the best for my 1997 RAV4 since mine is already due for a replacement. If I'm not mistaken, RAVs from 1998-2000 have the distributorless system and have different plugs compared to pre-1998 RAVs.

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm quite confused. My owner's manual says I should only use double-tip spark plugs, specifically the Denso K20TR11 or NGK BKR6EKB-11. On the other hand, I read that some people run on single-tip plugs (usually the platinum variant) and run fine, while others also run fine running on double-tips (also using the platinum variant). Another thing I've read before (I forgot which site) is distributorless RAVs (1998-2000) are the ones recommended to run on double-tip plugs while the earlier RAVs with the distributor system (like mine) are recommended to run on single-tip plugs, which is contradictory to what is stated on my owners manual. In short, I've read mixed stuff and everything I've read so far yielded positive results (except for Bosch plugs, which I'm aware isn't generally recommended for Japanese makes).

By the way, is it worth investing more on using platinum over copper plugs, at least performance wise? I'm not particular on the replacement interval, just the performance and maybe fuel economy? :))

Thanks in advance!! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
- UPDATE -

I checked my engine closely once again... It appears that my RAV has distributorless ignition!!! :3 And I realized now why I was wondering all along why the manual specifies a twin-tip plug for my 1997 RAV4. Didn't notice that one before. (My bad!) So that means my 1997 RAV4 may be one of the first batches of RAV4s to have the distributorless ignition system since RAV4s October 1997 and later (if I'm not mistaken) were the ones first fitted with coil pack ignition.

Anyway, for those who've used platinum (or iridium plugs, although I'm more keen on platinums), would you recommend me using those (is it worth investing on those?), or should I stick with the owner's manual-specified twin-tip copper Denso/NGK plugs?

Looking forward to your replies! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts