Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question primary refers to driving on the highway. I was thinking the other day that I rarely ever get passed by another Rav4 on the highway, I'm usually the one doing the passing. I am by no means a speed demon, but as Sammy Hagar once said "I can't drive 55", probably because I grew up in lower New York. This is the main reason why my gas mileage hovers between 20 and 24 mpg even on all-highway trips.

As we know all too well the Rav4 is no sports car, but I think it handles quite well at highway speeds. I'm not one of those "10-over" people who speeds everywhere they go, but I'm also not one of those people who keeps the needle right on the speed limit. I drive at the speed I feel comfortable (which is based on road conditions, traffic, safety, and other factors) and it may be higher or lower than the speed limit. That's why I love using a manual transmission, it gives me better control over speed, and it gives me greater appreciation for driving overall.

Anyway, back to my point. When I am driving in traffic on the interstate, I am usually traveling at the higher end of the speed of traffic. But when there is no traffic and I can maintain a constant speed, I usually set the cruise at 70-75, with occasional bursts to 80+ for passing reasons or some other reasons... With my Rav4, once I go above about 75 mph the noise of the engine starts to get pretty loud, which gets tiring on long drives. So I usually keep it a few MPH over the speed of big rigs and the rest of traffic, which ends up to be about 70-75 mph. I bet I could eek out a couple extra MPG if I slowed down a bit and was a little lighter on the pedal, but that's not me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had mine just a little over 80 so far, the tach barely at 2,000 not even breathing hard. No decernable wind noise. Not as quite as my 05 STS, but not as throaty as my BMW 545i

·
Registered
471 Posts
me 2, i usually drive around 80 when im with some1 else, 90+ when im alone and 67-70 when my parents r in the car :x . driving with them is hell

P

·
0 Posts
Comfortable at 85-90 on motorway runs, keeps going forever at that speed!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
inlets said:
I've had mine just a little over 80 so far, the tach barely at 2,000 not even breathing hard. No decernable wind noise. Not as quite as my 05 STS, but not as throaty as my BMW 545i
Damn, when mine's at 75 MPH the tach is at 3500 RPM, however in 5th gear the power is just starting to kick in at that speed. Anything less than 70 MPH is a little weak in 5th gear but once you hit 75 it starts to pick up. Once I get to 3500 RPM the engine noise gets real loud, probably from the VVTI. Ever since I had the infamous P420/P430 fix for the '01 Rav4's, my exhaust has been even more loud after 3500 RPM. I think it has to do with the updated fuel mixtures, because I have double checked everything and I can't find an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: What speed do you drive with your RAV4?

Jeff said:
This question primary refers to driving on the highway. I was thinking the other day that I rarely ever get passed by another RAV4 on the highway, I'm usually the one doing the passing. I am by no means a speed demon, but as Sammy Hagar once said "I can't drive 55", probably because I grew up in lower New York. This is the main reason why my gas mileage hovers between 20 and 24 mpg even on all-highway trips.

As we know all too well the RAV4 is no sports car, but I think it handles quite well at highway speeds. I'm not one of those "10-over" people who speeds everywhere they go, but I'm also not one of those people who keeps the needle right on the speed limit. I drive at the speed I feel comfortable (which is based on road conditions, traffic, safety, and other factors) and it may be higher or lower than the speed limit. That's why I love using a manual transmission, it gives me better control over speed, and it gives me greater appreciation for driving overall.

Anyway, back to my point. When I am driving in traffic on the interstate, I am usually traveling at the higher end of the speed of traffic. But when there is no traffic and I can maintain a constant speed, I usually set the cruise at 70-75, with occasional bursts to 80+ for passing reasons or some other reasons... With my RAV4, once I go above about 75 mph the noise of the engine starts to get pretty loud, which gets tiring on long drives. So I usually keep it a few MPH over the speed of big rigs and the rest of traffic, which ends up to be about 70-75 mph. I bet I could eek out a couple extra MPG if I slowed down a bit and was a little lighter on the pedal, but that's not me.
Umm, 90-100mph, but you didn't hear it from me :) And my milage is as bad as you'd think it would be at that speed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Guess I'm one of the slower ones..... :?
I'm generally 10kms (6mph) over most of the time, and find gas mileage sucks over 120kms (75mph)......
In NS, posted highway speeds are generally 100 or 110 kms, but not many adhere to it.......but they don't go crazy.....with the exception being "tankdog".... :wink:

We never had the "double nickel" stuff up here.... 8)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I usually drive 10mph above the speed limit in the city, but it depends on where i drive and where i know cops are. :p On highways, i drive 75-80 on I-5 and 70 on Highway 99. My rpm is about 3200 at the most when i'm driving 80, but it stays below or at the 3K when i drive 75. I wish mine was a 5-speed :roll:

R

·
0 Posts
In my city, everything is 15 minutes from everything else. Traffic is not bad at all (so don't move here). Well, more and more are coming anyway. But for now, it's great!

I drive the speed limit +5 so either 40, 50, or 65mph.

Unlike many of you, that's a constant speed during the entire 15 minute trip. NO traffic jams, few stop lights, and many back ways to get around the lights I don't like :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts