Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
You have a transmission dipstick. It closed to the left of the battery.

Yes! Thank you! Went back out and looked and found it! Not sure why I could never find it before. I can't wait until the next time somebody at the $tealership tells me it is a sealed system with no dipstick, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Yes! Thank you! Went back out and looked and found it! Not sure why I could never find it before. I can't wait until the next time somebody at the $tealership tells me it is a sealed system with no dipstick, blah blah blah.
Note there is a sticker on the dipstick assembly saying that it need not be checked or serviced or some such wording.

The first 4.3s did not have such a dipstick.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 2007 has a dipstick for transmission on V6
yep, it should. the 2013 and newer went with the "so-called" sealed style tranny....i remember when i first change my fluid on '07 I4, went to dealer to get WS fluid at $14 per qt, was like "do you know what yur doin'.....does it have a DIP-STICK", i mumble something like.... I'm looking at it!
yes, please just sell me the over priced cherry color water so i can move on:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I must admit I have a very difficult time believing this fluid "never" needs to be replaced. How can it possibly last forever? I have 210,000 miles on mine. Is this fluid supposed to last 300,000? A million? I am concerned because this is the best car I've ever owned and I don't look forward to owning another so I want to keep it maintained well.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I must admit I have a very difficult time believing this fluid "never" needs to be replaced. How can it possibly last forever? I have 210,000 miles on mine. Is this fluid supposed to last 300,000? A million? I am concerned because this is the best car I've ever owned and I don't look forward to owning another so I want to keep it maintained well.

It is a marketing ploy to trick you thinking there is no maintenance and is worry free to help sell the car. Some consumers fall for it and don't know better and literally never change the ATF and thus suffer transmission failure. Of course many people who have maintain many cars over the years know otherwise this is baloney.

Toyota also don't seem to want owners to know when to change the ATF in the US. Here in Canada we do have the service intervals to change the ATF which should come with the car. (mine did)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It is a marketing ploy to trick you thinking there is no maintenance and is worry free to help sell the car. Some consumers fall for it and don't know better and literally never change the ATF and thus suffer transmission failure. Of course many people who have maintain many cars over the years know otherwise this is baloney.

Toyota also don't seem to want owners to know when to change the ATF in the US. Here in Canada we do have the service intervals to change the ATF which should come with the car. (mine did)
For the life of the transmission. Never states how long that life is.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have had someone tell me that flushing it now, having never done it, would be detrimental. Is this true?
Can be. I have known several transmissions that were acting funny which mechanics recommended a flush, only to have the transmission not work at all afterwards. This is with a machine flush. I also think that these are trannies that see zero maintenance and have NEVER had their fluid service. At this point is is basically too late. Getting some new fluid in there might help. But flushing and knocking free all the grim that might have been keeping the unit working killed them.

I think if you are changing the ATF yourself, and you use the return line to drain more fluid out it will be ok.

Easiest would just to do regular drain and fills.

Our RAV is at 95K. At 60 I did a drain and fill with amsoil FE OE ATF. at 90k did a drain and fill with maxlife. It was pretty dark. After the last drain and fill it was still a burgundy color. Darker than I would like. At 100K I think I am going to do a drain and retunr line drain and fill with 2 jugs (8 quarts) of amsoil FE OR or SS ATF. If I needa little more I will use what maxlife I have around.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have had someone tell me that flushing it now, having never done it, would be detrimental. Is this true?

Yes if the fluid is very high mileage then that can spell disaster. The reason is the grit and dirt particle is probably holding the transmission from slipping.
That means the transmission is barely clinging to life and has little time left. If you flush all the dirt then kaboom it is over and the transmission goes.
Just remember not every transmission qualifies for a flush. So be very careful and do your homework because it is very expensive to repair the transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Not exactly.
A properly done fluid change, which is simply a drain and refill, but using the return line so all fluid is exchanged, will not and can not hurt the transmission.
Years ago, some shops would use a "power" flush system that would externally circulate the new fluid without using the transmission's pump. These would tend to force fluid into places it should not be forced.

99 times out of 100, a transmission that fails after being serviced was going to fail anyways. Usually, the service was performed in an attempt to fix a noted problem... then the flush gets blamed for the failure.

If the flush actually causes a problem, it is most likely the result of the incorrect fluid, procedure, or even fluid level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The proof is in the pudding... it has 210k miles on it without problems... leave it alone!!!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Not exactly.
A properly done fluid change, which is simply a drain and refill, but using the return line so all fluid is exchanged, will not and can not hurt the transmission.
Years ago, some shops would use a "power" flush system that would externally circulate the new fluid without using the transmission's pump. These would tend to force fluid into places it should not be forced.

99 times out of 100, a transmission that fails after being serviced was going to fail anyways. Usually, the service was performed in an attempt to fix a noted problem... then the flush gets blamed for the failure.

If the flush actually causes a problem, it is most likely the result of the incorrect fluid, procedure, or even fluid level.
Every vehicle is different but what happens is that if only the grit is holding everything together then a flush can loosen everything. This grit is flushed away which will cause the transmission to slip since nothing is keeping the parts together. This is what happens if the transmission fluid is beyond the point of no return and a flush should not be done. To understand this better watch this video. I am all for a return line flush but you can only do it under certain conditions. If you don't know how all this works then don't attempt this without knowing all the risk.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts