Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my tires rotated and the mechanics set my tire pressures at 28psi, seems kind of low to me so i'm wondering what everyone else uses?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tyre pressure

I use 32psi front and 30psi back.

Brian

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey brianlj99,

Is there a reason why you use different pressure for front and rear? I don't know anything about cars, and I rely on my dealership for that, and I have 35 on mine.. don't ask me why :oops:.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The reason some people suggest higher pressures in the front tires is because they do more of the cornering than the rear tires, and as a result more force is exerted on those tires. Higher tire pressures increase lateral stability (side to side) but as you increase the pressure it reduces the contact patch of the tire on the pavement.

The reason the manufacturer specifies a certain pressure is to optimize the contact patch of the tire. If the pressure is too low, the tire will ride on the sidewalls and build up heat, reducing fuel economy and eventually causing a blow out. If the pressure is too high, it reduces the contact patch of the tire, and the tire essentially rides on the middle of the tread, causing a reduction in traction and a stiff ride.

The sticker on my Rav4 says 29 psi, but I keep my tires at 31-32 all around. However I adjust the pressures depending on the situation (low for driving in the snow, high for carrying heavy loads).

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My rule of thumb is to use about 3 psi higher than recommended by the manufacturer, so on my 2000 (Toyota suggests 28/26) I run 31/29.

Another reason you'll often see AWD vehicles with a front/rear bias (higher in the front) in recommended tire pressures is to reduce somewhat the tendency of the vehicle to oversteer under certain conditions.

Also, higher pressure in front where most of the weight is results in a similar rolling radius for all four tires. I don't know about Toyota, but Subaru is particular about keeping the rolling radius within spec all the way around or you risk damage to the centre differential.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
different pressures

As Jeff said, the pressures are selected to get the best flat contact with the road. The front of the car having the engine and gearbox is much heavier than the back, so more pressure would be needed for optimal contact.

In the old days the manufacturers did suggest different pressures for front and back, but in a world where most people wouldn't know if they had air in their tyres or not, I think they go for simplicity, so 29 all round.

Brian

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bmorton said:
Also, higher pressure in front where most of the weight is results in a similar rolling radius for all four tires. I don't know about Toyota, but Subaru is particular about keeping the rolling radius within spec all the way around or you risk damage to the centre differential.
Good point about 4wd special considerations bmorton, many people treat their 4wd just like a normal car.

Fortunately for us, Toyota uses a viscus coupling in the RAV. This enables the wheels to turn at different speeds without harming any part of the drive train. So we don't have to worry about rolloing radii.

If the theory of rolling radii were interesting to anyone, though, since the RAV has an approxomate weight distribution of 53/47 you would want to run the front tires 3% higher than the rear. Assuming you run the rear at 29psi, the front would work out to 29.87psi. This is not something a normal tire gauge can measure.

I run my tires at 30 psi, since the recommended is 29. +- 1 psi should make little difference. This is probably within the accuracy of most tire gauges anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tyre pressure

nothercarguy said:
bmorton said:
I run my tires at 30 psi, since the recommended is 29. +- 1 psi should make little difference. This is probably within the accuracy of most tire gauges anyway.
I seriously can`t find the tyre pressure psi indicator anywhere in the car so I use 32back/ 34 front. Can I tell from the tyres what to use ? I tried looking at the codes on the tyres but can`t decipher anything.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Tarence, the tire pressure indicator is located on the Vehicle.
Open the drivers Door and you will find a sticker along the body pillar around below the height of the handle, or look in the manual.

What you want to see on the tire is a Load Rating of 99 or more for the 4.2 RAV.

The manufacturer puts the proper rated tire on the RAV, and when you buy aftermarket, asside from meeting the rest of the specs, you must make sure you meet or exceed this rating.

What tires are you using?

It is always a good investment to buy a fancy digital tire gauge.
The Pumps gauges are usually not accurate.
With a fancy Digital it may motivate you to check more often :wink: I have a friend that never would messure her tires,, I told her to buy a fancy gauge and she was all happy. :D I was not because it was better than mine

So I bought a even better one

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Re: Tyre pressure

Tarence said:
bmorton said:
I seriously can`t find the tyre pressure psi indicator anywhere in the car so I use 32back/ 34 front. Can I tell from the tyres what to use ? I tried looking at the codes on the tyres but can`t decipher anything.
The only pressure listed on the sidewall of the tires is the MAXIMUM pressure that is safe to use at the SPEED indicated for the LOAD index...

Check this site out for load and speed indexes : Load and speed index

·
Registered
52 Posts
I generally have mine at 30psi but when I start towing in the summer I might increase the back tires a bit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sticker PSI recommendation is like all-season tires, is an all arond number, which is good for both riding empty or with 1000lb of cargo.

If you ride empty most of the time, it can be lowered quite a bit. More comfy ride, saves the shocks and offset the development of rattles a little bit.

Best tire gauge is your eyes. Pump them up high, then let the air out until you see a small buldge in the sidewall. Then it's perfect for the weight the tire is carrying. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Please People this is a safety issue.

Your RAV has been engineered to handle maximum speeds and loads.
So unless you are doing some serious modifications to your RAV than stick to the 99 or higher Load Rating.
You can probably get away with 98 but there is some advice I don’t like giving.

RE: Side walls

Garbage (low cost) tires sidewalls will bulge even if over inflated.

RE: Pressure on OEM tires or equivalent

Please when riding on Asphalt keep the tires at 29 lbs. to around 32.

In the snow & asphalt than you can lower it to around 28.

When Off Roading where the Grip is far less, then you can go even lower.

Always use your tire gauge or let your Mechanic check them regularly. You can have loss pressure due to a leak, even seasonal temperatures.

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Had vehicle 2 months used 35 lbs. instead of recommended 29 lbs for increased gas mileage and handling BUT working my way down to 29 since I don't like the ride of vehicle, came off a smooth and silky V-6 Camry and I do miss it. :cry:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tyre pressure

waltrav said:
Tarence, the tire pressure indicator is located on the Vehicle.
Open the drivers Door and you will find a sticker along the body pillar around below the height of the handle, or look in the manual.

What you want to see on the tire is a Load Rating of 99 or more for the 4.2 RAV.

The manufacturer puts the proper rated tire on the RAV, and when you buy aftermarket, asside from meeting the rest of the specs, you must make sure you meet or exceed this rating.

What tires are you using?
Sorry for the very late reply. i`m currently using 225/70/R16 tyres. Naw, the sticker is no longer there, most probably taken out by the previous owner, i don`t have the manual either.

Bear in mind that it is very sunny & hot here everyday so I guess that would affect the tyre pressure ? I`m still sticking to my 34 front / 32 back though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts