Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. Just purchased a 2017 Limited last week. It came with Toyo 18" Open Country tires. They seem loud and i feel like it's a harsh ride. Has anyone else had this experience with these tires?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello All. Just purchased a 2017 Limited last week. It came with Toyo 18" Open Country tires. They seem loud and i feel like it's a harsh ride. Has anyone else had this experience with these tires?

Congrats on the new ride!

Same tires on ours. I don't seem to find them "loud" but do admit the ride is a bit harsh. Seems to be a common problem with the newer Rav's.
There's a whole thread on just that subject. I think the 18" wheels have a lot to do with it.

Reactions: aelo26

·
Registered
184 Posts
Toyo open Country are fantastic tires, they last forever and provide great traction on and off road. More likely you have HT`s As mentioned above, it might be the fact that rims are 18" and less "meat" makes them feel a bit bouncy and noisy. But regardless, they are very decent tires. I have Yokohama Geolanders on mine 2017 XLE, 17" rims. Since my commute is mostly on NJ Turnpike, i don`t think it matters what tires to install.. still going to be bouncy and noisy haha

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Check the air pressure in the tires, make sure it's at the proper level and not higher than what is recommended; dealers don't always adjust tire air pressure when they prep a new vehicle.

Tires come over-inflated from the factory on purpose and it's the dealers responsibility (prepping a new vehicle) to adjust the pressure to what is on the sticker inside the driver's door jamb.

Good luck with your new RAV. :wink

Reactions: aelo26

·
Registered
111 Posts
Toyo open Country are fantastic tires, they last forever and provide great traction on and off road. More likely you have HT`s As mentioned above, it might be the fact that rims are 18" and less "meat" makes them feel a bit bouncy and noisy. But regardless, they are very decent tires. I have Yokohama Geolanders on mine 2017 XLE, 17" rims. Since my commute is mostly on NJ Turnpike, i don`t think it matters what tires to install.. still going to be bouncy and noisy haha
Open Country HT (or QT) are good tires, but the OE tires on the RAV4 are Open country A20. These are manufacturer original equipment tires. They do not have a good reputation. I also have these on my '17 SE and find the dry traction fair and wet traction poor.

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
Toyo Open Country HT are good tires, put 40k miles on a set on my 2006 V6 and they were still going when I let it go, a bit noisy, but wear good, offroad mud traction was acceptable for limited use, the A20 OEM tires suck in comparison.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ohh, my bad, I assumed they are HT.. not familiar with A20, good to know :). I have open country at2 extreme on my FJ and they are superb. I was thinking about installing AT2 P's on RAV4 but they are too heavy .. 34 lbs

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have OpenCountry QT for 1 month now. I didn't notice too much noise.
I am in process of changing my 14 for a 17 hybrid le+.

My OpenCountry QT have about 3000 km / 1865 miles.

The 17 come with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 265-65-17.

Should I switch tires and keep the Toyo on the new Rav?? What do you think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well everyone, I've been quite busy but finally had a chance to check the air pressure
Would you believe it was 50 pounds!!? The recommended is 32.! Not sure who is at fault. Dealer or factory, probably dealer!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't take temp outside out of equation:) It can "fill up" tires pretty good.. I had same problem with my truck, it went from 35 to 48-50 psi as temps hit mid 90s :) which caused excessive "jumpiness" on the road. And last time I checked pressure was early spring, when temps were at mid 50s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts