Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice wanted!!
I am in the process of fitting a 57i cai to my 1998 Rav. I could have a problem I downloaded the instruction sheets on how to fit one thru a thread on one of the other forums on Rav 4World. The problem is on my later model there is aRocker cover breather pipe coming straight from the cover in to the pipe between the air filter box and the box at the side of the throttle housing which is not as the photo A shows. I rang K/N in the UK and they have said you need a "breather filter to replace this tube. Being a novice what is a breather filter and what do I do with it ( not the obvious). I would appreciate advice
Clare
PS Thanks Mohit for advice on Air intake postioning

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can pick up a breather filter over at Autozone or the like. You also have to be able to plug the hole on the intake pipe where that hose would go to, if it has it. Hope that helps ya. :wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Clare, This is what a "breather filter" looks like:

The one you see pictured above is attached to the charcoal cannister, but you will put a similar filter on the rocker cover breather pipe.

Here is a picture of a Mazda Miata with a breather filter located on its rocker cover:

Basically, the filter will let the oil vapors that are built up escape. In the factory system, there is a tube that allows the vapors to be exited back into the intake tract. These oil vapors then enter the intake manifold where it is combusted.

As mentioned above, you should be able to find these breather filters at any local auto shop. Good luck. :D[/img]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Derek, your explanation was class I had an idea it was what your photos show
Many Thanks
Clare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts