Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading one of my many books regarding suspension modifications. I came across some good information. It tell what you can expect when you modify your suspension in different areas like we do here at R4W.

Effects of Wheel, Tire, and Suspension Modifications

Changing to High-Performance Tires, Ultra-High-Performance Tires, and Wider Tires

Improves: Braking performance, acceleration performance, cornering performance (sometimes)

Problems: Accelerated tire wear, increased body roll causing more camber change and less cornering traction, increased ride harshness

Stiffer Suspension Springs

Improves: Lower ride height for better handling and looks, reduced body roll for improved tire traction, quicker response to driver steering inputs, and improved handling balance if well engineered

Problems: Harsher ride, handling balance too extreme if poorly engineered, cut or poorly engineered springs can allow suspension or chassis to bottom out leading to potential damage or crashes.

Suspension Antiroll Bars

Improves: Reduced body roll for improved tire traction, quicker response to driver steering inputs, improved handling balance if well engineered.

Problems: Slightly harsher ride, handling balance too extreme if bar is poorly engineered.

Suspension Bushings

Improves: Quicker response to steering inputs, less compliance in suspension for improved tire wear I handling

Problems: Harsher ride, sometimes noisier

Stiffer Shock Absorber Rates

Improves: Quicker response to drivers steering inputs, better feel of steering, improved handling during cornering, braking, and acceleration transitions when valving is correct for applications.

Problems: Harsher ride, handling deterioration if if incorrectly valved for application.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts