Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my family always has lived by cars. [A couple of gas stations] I have had some experience with, hand tools. I have a descent stock of tools that have helped me do everything in my RAv4. This helps because it gives your wallet a break. Simple things like brake pads, spark plugs, oil change etc. are things that you can do in your carport. Of course, you will need some simple but basic tools to do the job. Here is a list of tools that I have at home. I do my own mechanical work on my RAV4 [when I have the time and the knowledge :wink: ] What I don't do is the electrical.

Some advice. A good book or manual will help. But looking at pictures and trying do the work is not all peaches and cream. Always consult an experience mechanic before trying something a little out or your know how.

First of all, you should have a good jack. It should at least lift 2.5 to 3 tons.

6 Jack Stand, 6 tons ea.

Craftsman mm sockets and wrenches [small, medium and large]
8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17mm [3/8, 1/2, 1/4] and extensions, [short, medium, and long]

Dremel gun kit [ask Derek] :wink:

Oil changing kit

Soldering Gun 150/230 watts HD

Tool Box HD [metal, NO plastic]

Channel Lock tool set at least 80 pieces [mm and SAE] a gift 8)

Craftman Tool set, 175 pieces [mm and SAE]

Engine Stand

Timing Light

A Vise

A Creeper

Creeper Seat

A Shop Light [At least 25 feet of wire cord]

Air Gauge

Torque Wrench

2 very big Blue plastic tarp, for the floor.

These are some of the tools that I have. I would love to get an air pressure tank installed. But that is a little more down the road. :roll:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a swiss army knife and roll of duct tape. Thats all I've had for years and have had no problems doing brakes, suspensions, porting heads, ETC.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm missing the engine stand, dremel tool, and bench vise, but I got the rest of the stuff. Don't forget the breaker bars and cheater bars for the breaker bars 8) Never can have a long enough handle :lol:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have some people who work for free. Like my dads employees. My students, [for a grade of course]. The only thing I don't get free are the parts and the electrical system.

The problem with Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance auto etc. You don't get to see what is going on. They might install a lot of parts. Or diagnose a lot of rubbish, and bill you for it. 60 minutes once did a story regarding this situation. They catch Sears, Refrigeration companies, Gas Station. People getting ripped off left and right. It happens every day. My father had a few gas stations [he rented them all], with repair shops. It was like taking money out of a bank. It's cruel, but it IS the truth.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Chucks97 said:
I have a swiss army knife and roll of duct tape. Thats all I've had for years and have had no problems doing brakes, suspensions, porting heads, ETC.
I always wondered whatever happened to MacGyver! :lol:

I have most of the tools that you have mentioned above Mensagero, except for the engine stand ( hope I don't ever have a need for that! :shock: ).

Also have many other goodies that were handed down to me from my father who was in the construction trade. A lot of carpentry tools as well. :D

I wish I could learn and get a welder, that sounds like a lot of fun! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts