Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a new set of yokohama geolanders 215-70-16 (stock size) for about $500.

what size/type of tires are you rollin on?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Summer: Cooper Discoverer H/T
Winter: Cooper Discoverer M/S

Both sets 215/70-16

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooper discoverer H/T - summers
Bridgestone Grand Trek - winters but going to switch to Coopers for winter next time around.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I had my Toyota Hilux, I wished for the tires I have now; Yokohama Geolandars H/T 235/60/16. They're incredibly quiet for an all-terrain tyre, but I do wish they had a stepped tread. Oh well, it's not like I take my baby RAV anywhere extreme.

Oh... and uhh... Hi all! :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pirelli 235/55 17's on mine on TTE Grand Prix multi-spokes - all part of the Granite model here in UK.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tire Recommendations

It has come time that I need a new set of tires. I would like some recommendations based on people's experiences. I don't care about looks but want something practical. I won't be driving over 100mph, nor hardly ever off-road at the present. I will however be moving to West Africa in a few months and don't know what conditions to expect there but probably will be paved roads. Appreciate and recommendations.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of the better tires on the market, I have nokians, they are pretty much the worlds safest tire, easily the safest snow/all weather tire made for suvs, they are tested in the artic circle for stabability, wear etc.. and they have a unique system that tells you when to add more air, when to rotate, when you need new tires etc.. all from the tire. Id definently reccomend them

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beijingjj, when I had a Hilux, I spent a lot of time offroad. The tyre that seemed to get the best following was the Yokohama Geolandar. I've got the H/T's on my RAV, and they're an absolute dream onroad, with an aggressive enough tread to handle most non-extreme surfaces. They'll be brilliant for soft sand, but don't have enough 'claw' for rock and mud will clog them very quickly.

So, my recommendation is one of the Geolandar variants, chosen to what terrain you might be expecting. I had Firestones (cannot remember which, except 265/15's) on the Hilux, and I was not impressed by any of their offroad abilities. If you expect to remain onroad, then obviously none of these is a factor.

Edit: Firestone Wilderness R4S 245/75/15

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It might be pointless to give a non-recommendation but...

I have Falken Azenis ST-115's ... basically because of the peculiar, hard to find size (245/40-R20)

They are supposedly engineered with tiny pores to reduce road noise, which I will say it works pretty good. Anyway, it seems these tiny pores like to pick up tiny rocks. So, like when driving thru a parking lot, you can hear all the tiny gravels tapping away at my inner fenders. It's just an annoyance.

I run my stock Bridgestone's in the winter months, and they work pretty good. 16" wheels are just too teeny for my tastes. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Winter: Yokohama Geolandar AT+II 235/60-16

Summer: Yokohama AVS V801 255/45-18

I hope to find 4 used wheels to have a special offroad tires too ;-)

Byeeeeeee

·
Registered
99 Posts
Going from the stock road going tyres to something more chunkier and suited for offroad, what differences can i expect? ie, are things not as smooth at 70+ mph? Will a chunkier tread mean less chance of puncture? or will the wider tread grooves make them more likely to get punctures?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to give you some info about offroad oriented tires.

I use Toyo OpenCountry AT Tires in the stock P21570R16 size. These are absolutely amazing for traction offroad. They are tough and pretty puncture resistant(I have taken them on trails, construction sites with rocks, small logs etc and never a problem). Never had a problem in sand or snow during the winter BUT,

although they are pretty decent on the road, they are alot stiffer than highway terrain (H/T). If you are used to softer road oriented tires, you will be almost horried by the change in ride(I was at first). Small bumps or road irregularities(even at highway speed) are not a big deal, but hit a big hole or bump and you really feel it(but at least the tire wont be destroyed). They are a bit noisy when they start to wear down as well..

Above 60mph they have a bit more noise(even without wear) than H/T tires(you can hear them for sure)

I think its a small price to pay for traction(if you like to venture forth in the backcountry etc) and puncture resistance.

I love the tires and A/T is what I needed for versatility but just wanted to make sure you take some of this into consideration when looking for A/T or other offroad oriented tires. I do believe most A/T tires have the same charateristics as above. The open countries are supposed to be the best for on road comfort(in a all terrain tire) so most others are probably just the same.

Cheers!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rav4_at said:
I just wanted to give you some info about offroad oriented tires.

I use Toyo OpenCountry AT Tires in the stock P21570R16 size. These are absolutely amazing for traction offroad. They are tough and pretty puncture resistant(I have taken them on trails, construction sites with rocks, small logs etc and never a problem). Never had a problem in sand or snow during the winter BUT,

although they are pretty decent on the road, they are alot stiffer than highway terrain (H/T). If you are used to softer road oriented tires, you will be almost horried by the change in ride(I was at first). Small bumps or road irregularities(even at highway speed) are not a big deal, but hit a big hole or bump and you really feel it(but at least the tire wont be destroyed). They are a bit noisy when they start to wear down as well..

Above 60mph they have a bit more noise(even without wear) than H/T tires(you can hear them for sure)

I think its a small price to pay for traction(if you like to venture forth in the backcountry etc) and puncture resistance.

I love the tires and A/T is what I needed for versatility but just wanted to make sure you take some of this into consideration when looking for A/T or other offroad oriented tires. I do believe most A/T tires have the same charateristics as above. The open countries are supposed to be the best for on road comfort(in a all terrain tire) so most others are probably just the same.

Cheers!

PS. I got the recommendation for the Toyo's from a local 4x4 club. This is the best place to ask for offroad related information. They told me they used Dunlop rover A/T, BFG A/T,Bridgestone duelers and toyo A/T and they said the BFG is the toughest(its what they use).

They said if I wanted to keep on road comfort, buy the Dunlop or Duelers as they are still soft like H/T tires(wont take punishment like the others) or get the Toyos for a good combination and a stronger tire. They also said onroad comfort will be harsher(they were right).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts